Windows 10: Recovering New External Hard Drive after misconfiguring BitLocker and losing access.

Discus and support Recovering New External Hard Drive after misconfiguring BitLocker and losing access. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have bought a new External Hard Drive 1 TB and I tried turning on the BitLocker for Disk Encryption, then it instantly went to 99.9% encryption... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Piolo Quintos, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Recovering New External Hard Drive after misconfiguring BitLocker and losing access.

I have bought a new External Hard Drive 1 TB and I tried turning on the BitLocker for Disk Encryption, then it instantly went to 99.9% encryption progress, and when I tried to pause it, nothing happened, clicked it again and nothing happened, clicked it twice then it suddenly hanged, so I had to close it, and this is where my problems have started. The next time I tried to open the Disk on My Computer, it says that I have to format the disk first, but when I tried, it was unable to format it. So I tried disconnecting the External Hard Drive and Reconnect it again. Then it prompts me to input

:)

Piolo Quintos, Dec 5, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Remove BitLocker for external drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you want to disable BitLocker for the external hard drive. However, we would like to know if you are able to access data from the external hard drive.

In the meantime, you may refer the steps mentioned below to disable BitLocker:

1. Type Command Prompt in the search bar on the
      Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the Command Prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Type manage-bde –off X: and hit
      Enter
      . (Replace X with the drive letter of the external hard drive)

Meanwhile, you may also post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on BitLocker to address your query.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 5, 2021
  3. Lost access to external hard drive because of Bitlocker

Any PC that I plug my external hard drive in, asks me to enter a password to Bitlocker. The problem is that I have never installed a password for Bitlocker and I don’t have recovery keys in my Microsoft Account. In the result I am unable to access
    my hard drive

Christopher Morrison3, Dec 5, 2021
  4. BridgetV Win User

Recovering New External Hard Drive after misconfiguring BitLocker and losing access.

Can't access my external hard drives because of BitLocker

I just got the same exact screen when trying to access my external hard drive! I've used my external hard drive for years and it has never given me problems. I plugged it in today and it says access is denied due to bitlocker. Please tell me you got help
    with this?!

BridgetV, Dec 5, 2021
Thema:

Recovering New External Hard Drive after misconfiguring BitLocker and losing access.

1. Recovering New External Hard Drive after misconfiguring BitLocker and losing access. - Similar Threads - Recovering External Hard

2. Recovering New External Hard Drive after misconfiguring BitLocker and losing access.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering New External Hard Drive after misconfiguring BitLocker and losing access.: I have bought a new External Hard Drive 1 TB and I tried turning on the BitLocker for Disk Encryption, then it instantly went to 99.9% encryption progress, and when I tried to pause it, nothing happened, clicked it again and nothing happened, clicked it twice then it suddenly...
  3. Recovering New External Hard Drive after misconfiguring BitLocker and losing access.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovering New External Hard Drive after misconfiguring BitLocker and losing access.: I have bought a new External Hard Drive 1 TB and I tried turning on the BitLocker for Disk Encryption, then it instantly went to 99.9% encryption progress, and when I tried to pause it, nothing happened, clicked it again and nothing happened, clicked it twice then it suddenly...
  4. Bitlocker Lost External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker Lost External Hard Drive: I plugged my external hard drive into my computer. I asked me if I wanted to encrypt the hard drive and I said yes. It gave me an error saying that it could not encrypt it because it had boot up files on it. Now the external drive cannot be recognized on any computer I plug...
  5. External Hard Drive No Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive No Access: My external Seagate Backup Plus Drive shows up as E:\ when I plug it in but is not able to be accessed. I could see under right click properties that it was an NTFS drive and the name but zero for used, free, and capacity. I could get in from the command prompt and got one...
  6. Issues while accessing External Hard Drive after encrypting it with Bitlocker

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issues while accessing External Hard Drive after encrypting it with Bitlocker: So I had tried to encrypt my drive with bitlocker and its was a while ago but then I tried to decrypt it as It was taking a long time and the drive got disconnected and the decryption was disrupted and then it took time to load up the password page and It said the correct...
  7. External hard drive bitlocker issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive bitlocker issue: when i plugged into my Seagate external hard drive, i accidentally click bitlocker encryption button. Screen pop up and did a scan. I tried to hit the pause button and then power down my laptop. The bitlocker did not complete the scan and encryption. It was only 10 sec...
  8. Lost access to external hard drive because of Bitlocker

Lost access to external hard drive because of Bitlocker: Any PC that I plug my external hard drive in, asks me to enter a password to Bitlocker. The problem is that I have never installed a password for Bitlocker and I don’t have recovery keys in my Microsoft Account. In the result I am unable to access my hard drive...
  9. External Hard drive not accessible

External Hard drive not accessible: My external hard drive was unplugged accidently. When i plugged it back into the computer, it recogonized a previous error with it and was in the process of fixing those errors automatically when it was accidentally unplugged again. Now when i plug in my external drive the...
  10. External Hard drive not accessible...

External Hard drive not accessible...: Hi All, External Hard drive not accessible...? I have 1TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim 200gb cloud Hard Drive. It was working fine on Win 7 earlier, I formatted my desktop and installed win 7 OS since then my exernal hard drive is not initializing. My external hdd was not...