Windows 10: Recovering partially zeroed-out NTFS partition?

Discus and support Recovering partially zeroed-out NTFS partition? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I "accidentally" (right command, sadly wrong partition) zeroed-out the first 5GB of a 2TB harddisk using dd (linux). The partition is used as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/koppe74, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Recovering partially zeroed-out NTFS partition?

I "accidentally" (right command, sadly wrong partition) zeroed-out the first 5GB of a 2TB harddisk using dd (linux). The partition is used as a "data-partition" for Windows10 (D: drive), using the entire disk. It's formatted in NTFS. Though mostly data, there are some programs (mostly games) installed there too. The partition has been regularly de-fragmented.

Although what was overwritten is hopelessly lost, I'd like to recover as much as possible of what remains - including fragments of partially overwritten files. Also replacing destroyed directories, so orphaned files can be added. First and foremost though, I need to get the NTFS filetable "re-synced" with what remains on the disk. If I remember correctly, the NTFS filetable is located towards the middle of the partition, and thus should be undamaged. It would also be very helpful to get a list of all completely and partially overwritten files and directories.

So what should I do? Which tools are available? (Preferably free, as I don't intend to make a habit out of this... ;-) What should be my workflow? Any good tips? Any good tutorials?

(I must admit I'm more comfortable with Linux than Windows, and thus prefer Linux-tools... But since this is NTFS, I suppose it's impossible not to use Windows-tools.)

submitted by /u/koppe74
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/koppe74, Oct 6, 2020

2. Corrupted NTFS Partition Table

I have a 160GB drive that for some reason or another has a corrupted NTFS partition table.

The NTFS partition (about 129GB) is inaccessible, (I get an error message stating that I need to format the drive inorder to use it.) and the remaining free space is in RAW format. For some reason the normal tools will not recognize the original NTFS partition and I cannot repair/recover the partition.

Can anyone recommend any tools that they've used to repair/recover NTFS partition information?

Part of me is thinking of just formatting the drive and then trying to recover what I can through recovery software.

Any idea's?

ex-dohctor, Oct 6, 2020
  3. FX-GMC Win User
    Move Win7 64 image from a partition NTFS to a new drive

EDIT: After reading your first post again, is there any reason that you would now need GPT? Are you just trying to move the windows install to a new disk or is there a new motherboard involved?

If you are already booting to an NTFS partition, then it makes me wonder if after copying to the new drive, the partition isn't getting marked as Active.

Following the same steps I posted above for startup repair, you can get to a command prompt and use diskpart to see if this is the case.

Code: In the command prompt: diskpart list disk select disk 0 (disk number may be different if you have other disks connected.) list partition select partition 0 (partition number number may vary, but you want to see the boot partition which is the same as your windows partition according to the screenshot on the OP) detail partition (This should have Active: Yes or No. If it says no, since we have the partition selected, you can just use the following command in diskpart) active[/quote]

FX-GMC, Oct 6, 2020
  4. 95Viper Win User

Recovering partially zeroed-out NTFS partition?

How do you recover a deleted partition on a hard drive?

Try this, it works... it is open source...
    TestDisk, Data Recovery

Quote from site:

95Viper, Oct 6, 2020
Thema:

Recovering partially zeroed-out NTFS partition?

1. Recovering partially zeroed-out NTFS partition? - Similar Threads - Recovering partially zeroed

2. Sounds zeroed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sounds zeroed out: From time to time all my sounds unexpectedly have zero volume. Bringing up the Windows Volume Mixer reveals that all volumes are at zero. I can without much difficulty restore the volumes, but these questions remain:1 Why does this happen? How can I prevent it? If I cannot ....
  3. Sounds zeroed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sounds zeroed out: From time to time all my sounds unexpectedly have zero volume. Bringing up the Windows Volume Mixer reveals that all volumes are at zero. I can without much difficulty restore the volumes, but these questions remain:1 Why does this happen? How can I prevent it? If I cannot ....
  4. Sounds zeroed out

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. recover the partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recover the partition: how can I recover my data of the partition which was accidently deleted from disk management https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recover-the-partition/5131e160-093a-4a61-9dbe-0553224319f4
  6. recover the partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    recover the partition: how can I recover my data of the partition which was accidently deleted from disk management https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recover-the-partition/5131e160-093a-4a61-9dbe-0553224319f4
  7. raw and ntfs partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    raw and ntfs partition: Had a disk partition that turned raw. Already read all the posts on converting raw partitions to ntfs partitions without formatting disk.Convert d: /fs:ntfs doesn't work returning message "d: is already ntfs". If I open disk management the partition d: is marked as raw, btw....
  8. Recovering Overwritten External NTFS Disk

Recovering Overwritten External NTFS Disk: I was creating an USB Bootable Memory Stick an accidently overwrote an External 1TB NTFS Hard Disk, what is the best way to try and recover the Data on it. The Disk now shows as a 16gbyte do I have to format it as 1TB and then try to recover the data?...
  9. NTFS folder on external drive shows as zero-byte file

NTFS folder on external drive shows as zero-byte file: I'm having problems with a folder on an external hard drive. Recently I had a Windows notification to repair the drive, which I did. The next time I plugged in the drive, one of the folders was missing. On closer inspection I found that there was a zero-byte file with the...
  10. Recover partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recover partition: I had partitioned my D drive to install Linux. It did not install properly, now I am left with 3 partitions 1. The original D drive, now shrunk 500GB - NTFS 2. 200 MB partition - No file system mentioned 3. An unallocated partition 400GB I am not able to use the 3rd...