Windows 10: Recovering Photos from a dying (dead?) Internal Hard Drive

Discus and support Recovering Photos from a dying (dead?) Internal Hard Drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings, I have a friend who has a six year old HP laptop. The hard disk has been crawling for a while and they finally got the black screen of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by The Pool Man, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Recovering Photos from a dying (dead?) Internal Hard Drive

Greetings,

I have a friend who has a six year old HP laptop. The hard disk has been crawling for a while and they finally got the black screen of death. They booted into an HP Repair Utility, it tested the HDD, and came back with a code indicating it's either toast or nearly there. There was no way to boot into bios and they lack a second PC to create a bootable USB.

My first advice was to abandon this PC altogether. Since they believe $500-$600 is a lot for a new PC (yes, I know) I advised them to stick a Beelink GK55 Mini PC onto their flatscreen TV... which with wireless keyboard/mouse is around $259 these days. They only do the most basic stuff and that guy is actually up to that job.

The problem is the old PC has photos on that hard drive. I begged they upload to Google Photos immediately but the less tech savvy tend to say 'yeah, maybe later' and here we are with many photos in peril of being gone for good.

QUESTION: so what to do now?

1. Is a Geek Squad type the easiest solution? Like data recovery prices aren't so bad?
    2. Is there a way to open up the laptop, remove the drive, somehow plug it into the new one, run a disk 'fix' app, and then drag photos over? (This hard disk died while a system update was running... if that indicates anything.)
    3. If they buy a new PC I can help them create a bootable Linux thumb drive -- but will it see the C drive?

This is the exact type of fiasco I endeavor to avoid, but like I said, I have a friend...

:)

The Pool Man, Dec 29, 2020
  2. xLtdEspVx Win User

Is my hard-drive dying?

My acer aspire 5600U all in one PC has been acting up for a while now, for the ever since I updated to windows 8.1 years ago my computers hard drive has failed to recover from 100% disc usage...

With the picture provided would any of you assume the drives dying ?

If so, would It be wise to try and replace the hard drive with say-- an SSD in order improve performance? I'm just curious if this is even possible with it being an all in one system.. then again... its all possible with the know-how.

Any other suggestions?
    Recovering Photos from a dying (dead?) Internal Hard Drive [​IMG]

xLtdEspVx, Dec 29, 2020
  3. recovering data possible dead hard drive

i was wonder if there is a way to recover data from a possibly dead hard drive?

few days ago we had a power surge in town causing an area wide power spike. lost power for only a few seconds but i think it was enough to cause damage. power came back and i tried to boot up my system but to no avail. i have 2-1 tb hard drives in my system drive one is a western digital 1 tb and the other is a hitatchi 1 tb. when i rebuilt the system and tried boot up, the WD hard drive was not recognized and the hitachi was reconized in BIOS, i assumed that it was a bad connection, checked and rechecked all cabling to the mother board. all connections appeared to be well connected,satas were enabled in BIOS. no noise coming from the WD hard drive, not sure if it is even spinning, but i think its dead. have important data on the drive i would like to recover.

so i guess my question is can i recover the data from the drive and possibly hot swap it to the working hitachi drive? are there any free or recommendable programs or devices i can use to even just recover the data from the WD drive available?

victorm294, Dec 29, 2020
  4. Msap14 Win User

Recovering Photos from a dying (dead?) Internal Hard Drive

Hard Drive Data Recovery

got a laptop pata hard drive that makes a slight constant clicking noise. hard drive is more than likely dead/dying right... i can see that partitions of the hard drive in disk management and i can see the partitions in my computer but i can't get to any of the data.

any suggestions?

Msap14, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

Recovering Photos from a dying (dead?) Internal Hard Drive

1. Recovering Photos from a dying (dead?) Internal Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Recovering Photos dying

2. Internal Hard Drive Disappear From Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internal Hard Drive Disappear From Explorer: My D: drive is gone from explorer!I Try to transfer very large files from my D: Drive and Explorer becomes unresponsive and after that my hard drive disappeared....
  3. Recovering user files from old hard drive from dead PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovering user files from old hard drive from dead PC: I had an all-in-one PC that died about a year ago and have just managed to get my hands on a hard drive caddy to try and recover the files that I had on the old PC's HDD. However, when I go into the disk I cannot access the files - when I try to go into my old user profile on...
  4. Is my hard drive dead?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is my hard drive dead?: Context: my computer is 12 years old and just recently when force shutting it down after it crashing from opening a program while making weird beeping noises whenever I press any keyboard input or click my mouse. When booted up, it seemed to be stuck on a black screen so I...
  5. dying hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dying hard drive: My hard drive is dying. Several times each week, it crashes and I get an error message "Hard drive failure. Press F1 to reboot". Sometimes F1 works, sometimes I need to power off and restart, and sometimes I have to boot from a rescue CD. I want to buy a new hard drive and...
  6. Dead Hard Drive. Is it a Virus?

Dead Hard Drive. Is it a Virus?: I was having trouble with my laptop which I could not sort out. I decided to take out my hard drive and check it on another laptop using a sata/usb lead. I could not read the drive as it asked me if I wanted to format it. Where has my data gone and is the drive dead and could...
  7. Recovering games from hard drives

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Recovering games from hard drives: So ive just reinstalled windows 10 on my SSD boot drive. I had all my games from the xboxbeta app on another internal hard drive but when i reinstalled the app all my games were gone and i could not find them. how would i recover my games from these hard drives so i dont have...
  8. Internal Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal Hard Drive: I have an internal hard drive i got from my day that came out of his desk top. It has a lot of data on it i want to recover and put onto an external dar drive. I can see the drive when i run diskmgmt but cannot right click on it or browse files. I get this error with it "was...
  9. Recover windows from dead hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Recover windows from dead hard drive: Hello there, I have a Huawei Matebook x whose hard drive is dead and won't boot. Nor am I able to get into the recovery for reset. I know I will have to replace the ssd and do a fresh windows install. I don't have a recovery disc or usb either. I was wondering if 1) there...
  10. Dying Hard Drive?

Dying Hard Drive?: Over the past two weeks my hard drive has came to concluding evidence that it is dying and I was wondering if there was anyway to fix it. Take a look at my Crystal Disk Info....