Windows 10: Recovering SSD with bad blocks?

Discus and support Recovering SSD with bad blocks? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello, I have an SSD boot drive that has some bad blocks. My full story is over at Loop: System Thread Exception Not Handled, Bad System Config Info... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by JeffFinnan, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Recovering SSD with bad blocks?

Hello,
    I have an SSD boot drive that has some bad blocks. My full story is over at Loop: System Thread Exception Not Handled, Bad System Config Info where zBook recommended that I come over to this forum:
    Bad me, I do not have a backup image of the troubled drive.

I have watched the Macrium cloning video.

Here is what I have tried with Macrium using of the Kyhi boot.

Here is the view of the boot drive:

Recovering SSD with bad blocks? [​IMG]

I tried making an image but got an immediate error.

I could not figure out where to find the log file. No tab for logs showed up.

I tried to do a file back up. This worked other than four files.

I plan on getting a new SSD drive. I will wait until I can get some further direction from you folks.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Here's some more information:

Windows 10 (ver: 10.0.18362.592)

Motherboard:
    Asus X99-DELUXE II LGA2011-v3/ Intel X99/ DDR4/
    Quad CrossFireX & Quad SLI/ SATA3&USB3.1/
    M.2&U.2&SATA Express/ WiFi/ A&2GbE/ ATX

Processor:
    Intel Boxed Core i7-6850K Processor (15M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz) 6 core, 12 thread. 140W TDP, 40 PCIe lanes

Graphics Card:
    PNY Quadro K1200 Graphic Card - 4 GB GDDR5 - PCI Express 2.0 x16

Boot Drive:
    Samsung 950 PRO Series 512 GB - PCIe NVMe - M.2 FF Internal SSD

There are two WDC hard drives that are 4T and 6T in size.

:)

JeffFinnan, Jan 26, 2020

2. Bad blocks reported on an SSD - or has parts of W10 got corrupted?

Thanks axe0. I have started the tests that you suggest. The first batch of screenshots are below. I will try and complete all other tests asap, and report back with those screenshots too.

Health

Scan

Benchmark

W10User123, Jan 26, 2020
  3. Bad blocks reported on an SSD - or has parts of W10 got corrupted?

Several times a week when I switch on my W10 PC and before the desktop appears, I see a message saying "scanning and repairing". The percentage complete status of this always stays on "14%" for a good 5 minutes, before quickly finishing, and then I see the desktop. Once there, the Windows UI is extremely sluggish (unusable really) for at least another 5 minutes, before I am able to use the OS OK.

I had a quick look in Windows Event Viewer, and noticed hundreds of "bad block" errors. There are other listed, but by far the largest number are these bad block errors. I spoke to the shop who sold me the SSD HDD that I'm using for W10, and was told that SSDs don't have blocks, and that the problem could be Windows has got corrupted somehow. Either that, or the PC's RAM might be bad.

Any thoughts/comments/advice would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

W10User123, Jan 26, 2020
  4. Maria Fab Win User

Recovering SSD with bad blocks?

New SSD with Recovery USB not recovering Windows 10

Hello,

The issue you're experiencing will require advanced troubleshooting steps so we suggest that you post your query on our
    TechNet forums for better assistance.

Regards.

Maria Fab, Jan 26, 2020
Thema:

Recovering SSD with bad blocks?

1. Recovering SSD with bad blocks? - Similar Threads - Recovering SSD bad

2. Bad blocks on Surface Pro 6 1TB SSD followed BSODs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad blocks on Surface Pro 6 1TB SSD followed BSODs: I need help with diagnostics of Surface Pro 6 i7, 1Tb SSD and BSOD issues warranty has expired half year ago. I experience random BSODs almost every day, often 2-3 times in a day. All available drivers and firmware updates are in place, I am running latest Windows version...
  3. SSD + bad HDD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD + bad HDD?: My hdd currently has 16 bad sectors and disk usage is always throttled to 100%. would performance increase if i install os in a ssd and use hdd alongside with it? will my hdd cause any performance issue? submitted by /u/Anindo9416 [link] [comments]...
  4. SSD may be Bad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD may be Bad: every time I boot to windows I get a recovey post but if I restart again it will boot into windows is there software i can check the disk with it ia a Samsung HDD 155872
  5. Is my SSD bad?

Is my SSD bad?: 2.5" SATA 1TB Samsung 860 evo. I originally bought it for a laptop ~6 months ago. Laptop experienced a hardware failure (either bad SATA controller or bad connectors from drive bays to controller I believe - can give more info on the symptoms of that failure if you think its...
  6. Bad adds block

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad adds block: Sometimes are Adds Are very cheap in show notification Please reqwuest all adds are Blocked and don't show again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-adds-block/af116ac5-5317-4a9f-a028-ff2eba4849f8
  7. Is an SSD Drive Bad for Gaming?

Is an SSD Drive Bad for Gaming?: Is it true that an SSD for gaming is a bad idea? I was told that constantly downloading games to it can wear down and shorten its life. It was then suggested that I buy a mechanical HD instead. What do you guys think of this? 56947
  8. Bad blocks reported on an SSD - or has parts of W10 got corrupted?

Bad blocks reported on an SSD - or has parts of W10 got corrupted?: Several times a week when I switch on my W10 PC and before the desktop appears, I see a message saying "scanning and repairing". The percentage complete status of this always stays on "14%" for a good 5 minutes, before quickly finishing, and then I see the desktop. Once...
  9. Bad Block: failing drive, or "meh" ??

Bad Block: failing drive, or "meh" ??: Toshiba laptop went down. can't boot. ran usual diags, windows 8.1 unable to boot anything on the drive as is. hooked to a good system: assigned drive letter, windows disk manager shows all partitions "healthy", but windows cannot access the partition [the main partition on...
  10. Is it bad if a SSD is too fragmented?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is it bad if a SSD is too fragmented?: I know this is a old question but I can't find proper answers there and here. I run Mydefrag (I have it because I have 3 mechanical hard drives) and checked my SSD out of curiosity and it's all yellow (fragmented), seems that at least 80% of all files are fragmented. I...