Windows 10: recovery boot partition in not on my C drive

Discus and support recovery boot partition in not on my C drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; recovery boot partition in not on my C drive, and I have two of them the newer one is larger, and I can't seem to delete either... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KenRobings, Jul 28, 2020.

1. recovery boot partition in not on my C drive

recovery boot partition in not on my C drive, and I have two of them the newer one is larger, and I can't seem to delete either

:)

KenRobings, Jul 28, 2020
  2. SeB4299 Win User

Hp notebook will not boot. Booting from usb drive shows recovery drive as C:

Just looking at a friends Laptop.

Booting this HP notebook gives a message "Boot Drive not found"

"Please install Hard Disk (3F0)".

Using provided recovery does not work and there are no backups.

I am using a recovery drive from my own HP Notebook to investigate.

Using Diskpart List Disk and Partition I can see a drive with 931gb size and 899gb free

I can see a Partition of 32gb of type Primary. This is the recovery drive which boots as drive C: currently. The old C: drive and partition have vanished.

Looking for another view on this I ran fsutil volume list to show three volume /drive combinations

C:/, D:/and X:/.

The X:/ drive is probably my usb drive.

I tried to get a volume allocation report from D:/ using fsutil and got "The device is not ready". Maybe this is just the DVD drive?single

My questions is. Can I get the drive remapped without losing data.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

SeB4299, Jul 28, 2020
  3. Rexter Win User
    Help with HP System Recovery partition

I will try and cut this short:

So i have this HP pavilion DV5-1987 laptop, that came with windows vista home premium 32bit. A couple of months later i installed a 64bit version, and about a week ago i installed Windows 7 x64 RTM. Both installations was a fresh install on the C partition, leaving the recovery partition intact and alone.
    Now i have regrettet and want the original os to be reinstalled. But it doesnt work.
    The bios options does nothing, i press ESC to get to boot options, choose F11 for boot to recovery partition, and it goes straight to windows 7.
    i search the internet for options and try these suggestions:
    Mark drive D as active partition (the rec partition). it still boots to win 7.
    boot to super grub from a boot cd, and press "AUTO MAGIC BOOTER" (something like that). it then shows me two identical "vista boot loader" to choose from, and both goes into win 7, and a third (other OS) that gives me and error and returns to grub loader.

there a several other suggestions but either they wont work in my scenario or are another iteration of what i have already tried.

So uh... help? please? if you need anymore information please ask.

Rexter, Jul 28, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

recovery boot partition in not on my C drive

How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt?

- that gives me a 454 'Unexpected error' This tells me that the BCD is partially corrupted.

The commands: shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
    or: %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c reagentc /boottore&shutdown /r /f /t 00
    should boot into Recovery if everything is configured correctly.
    FYI, If Windows is configured correctly:
    1. If Reagentc is disabled, you still can get into Recovery but with limited options.
    2. If Reagentc is enabled, you'll get all options.
    3. If you boot Windows using Recovery USB stick, You'll get into Recovery with couple of options missing.

Here's my suggestion if you want to try:
    OPTION 1: Will save the trouble of re-install Windows.

1. Download the image of my first 3 partitions (450MB Recovery, 100 MB EFI partition, and 16MB unformatted primary)
      EFI_Boot-00-00.7z - Google Drive
    2. Run Macrium and restore the image from step 1, overwriting your existing 1st three partitions, leaving C alone.
    3. Delete the 490MB Recovery partition.
    4. From Macrium, run fix boot problems.
    5. Reboot. Open Admin command prompt then run Reagentc /info to make sure that it is enabled. If not, enable it.
      if failed to enable, reboot and try again.
    OPTION 2: Assuming you've already had Windows backup with Macrium.

1. Wipe out the first 5 parttiions. (450MB, 100MB, 16MB, C Drive, 480MB)
    2. Fresh install Windows 10
    3. Restore C drive from backup image, run fix boot problems
    4. repeat step 5 from OPTION 1 above.

topgundcp, Jul 28, 2020
Thema:

recovery boot partition in not on my C drive

1. recovery boot partition in not on my C drive - Similar Threads - recovery boot partition

2. EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive: I noticed that my main Windows SSD does not have an EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition. These two partitions are located on my HDD. I would like to know if it is possible to create these two partitions on the SSD disk and remove them on the HDD disk without losing...
  3. EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive: I noticed that my main Windows SSD does not have an EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition. These two partitions are located on my HDD. I would like to know if it is possible to create these two partitions on the SSD disk and remove them on the HDD disk without losing...
  4. EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows 10 c drive partition extend booting in recovery mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 c drive partition extend booting in recovery mode: I am in trouble as I tried to extend c drive partition of sony vaio which has windows 10 pro and came with windows 7 from factory.I used the process First, I shrink space from other drive then used move/resize with help of EASEUS.COM app. Then extended c drive successfully....
  6. Move C:\Recovery\* to Recovery partition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move C:\Recovery\* to Recovery partition: Hi, I have the recovery partition but the recovery file are in the C: filesystem. I don't know if it uses the recovery partition but I would like to move from C: to the recovery partition to save some space. It's possible? 176302
  7. Recovery partition after "C:" Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recovery partition after "C:" Drive: [ATTACH] Does anyone know why this occurred & any way to fix that. It's not actually necessary but it hinders my ability to add more storage to the system. Thanks in advance...
  8. Windows boot/efi/recovery partitions are not on the C drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows boot/efi/recovery partitions are not on the C drive: I bought a 500gb nvme ssd for my pc and I installed while my old sata 250gb drive was still in there (which had windows installed on it). I installed windows on it and instead of creating those partitions on the drive, it treated it like a dual boot system and it just used...
  9. Recovery partitions not recovery DRIVE

Recovery partitions not recovery DRIVE: I am working on a Toshiba laptop which my sister bought used with Win 8.0. The software was unfixable so I reinstalled 8.0 from a recovery drive I created with the Win 8.0 system. I then installed Win 8.1 from a microsoft store download and then installed Win 10 after...
  10. Add recovery partition into C drive

Add recovery partition into C drive: I just deleted the content (through the recovery software) of the recovery partition (D drive) in my laptop which had an older OS in it. I would like to add the space in this partition into the C drive, basically eliminating this recovery partition and expanding C the amount...