Windows 10: recovery drive does nothing

Discus and support recovery drive does nothing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I created a W10 recovery drive on a USB stick. I install it to computer and boot the computer, pressing F11. Here's what happens: a command prompt type... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tfox71, Aug 10, 2022.

1. tfox71 Win User

recovery drive does nothing

I created a W10 recovery drive on a USB stick. I install it to computer and boot the computer, pressing F11. Here's what happens: a command prompt type screen comes up with words to hit ESC to continue startup and system recovery also on the page but no instructions on how to get to it.Is this how it's supposed to work or am I doing something wrong?Nothing wrong with computer but I want to be prepared when something does.

:)

tfox71, Aug 10, 2022

2. Recovery Drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern. In some cases, this could happen if you created a system restore point on your computer. Windows will use the recovery drive to revert to the previous time where your computer is working properly, or where you created
    it. Please don't attempt to put any files in the recovery drive or the restore process will fail. To give you more suggestion and helpful information, we would like to more about your computer. Please answer the question below:

• Did you make any changes to your computer before this issue occurs?
    • Have you install Windows Update before getting the Recovery drive?
    • Which version of Windows are you using? To check it, follow the steps through this
      link.

In the meantime, you can check the files inside the recovery drive and confirm if there are essential files that you need.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Lemuel Cie, Aug 10, 2022
  3. Rey Cam Win User
    Create a Recovery Drive?

Hi Kaspaz,

Let us first check the recovery drive creation process that you have done. Below is a step by step process of creating a recovery drive:

• From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive and then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice.
    • When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive
      is selected and then select Next.
    • Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it, and then select Next > Create.
      A lot of files need to be copied to the recovery drive, so this might take a while.
    • When it’s done, you might see a Delete the recovery partition from your PC
      link on the final screen. If you want to free up drive space on your PC, select the link and then select
      Delete. If not, select Finish.

If you have done the same steps above and the rest of your file is still not showing.
    Please post back some details:

• Which drive are you referring to?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of what you are seeing?
    • Besides creating a recovery drive, have you done any other changes on your computer?
    • What is the make and model of your USB hard drive device?
    • Have you tried plugging it on another port?
    • What is the current version and build number of your Windows 10 Computer? To know these details, follow the steps below:
      • Select the Start button.
      • Type About your PC.
      • Press Enter to find out the version and build number of your Windows 10 PC.

Let us know the result after performing the troubleshooting steps and if your concern was left unresolved, kindly get back to us with the answers to our inquiry, so that we can assist you further.

Rey Cam, Aug 10, 2022
  4. ApolloXYZ Win User

Recovery Drive Doubt

I created a recovery drive usb pendrive when i bought my laptop. That time it was Win 10 Home SL. Now i upgraded it to Win 10 Pro and activated it using "illegal software". So these are the doubts which i have :

1. Can the Recovery Drive reverts Pro to Home? (Recovery Drive was created during Win 10 Home SL. So if i boot Recovery Drive it should revert back to Home. These are my thoughts)
    2. Will the digital license work after downgrading ?
    3. Will there be any backlash ?
    P.S. After upgrading it to Pro, there was a warning saying "digital license valid for Home SL, and not for Pro". I used an "illegal software" to activate it. Also i am a newbie so please explain it step by step.

ApolloXYZ, Aug 10, 2022
Thema:

1. recovery drive does nothing - Similar Threads - recovery drive does

2. F8 does nothing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    F8 does nothing: I can't boot into safe mode and everytime I boot it says windows installation can't be completed and it loops when I tried booting into safe mode using f8 it does nothing but beeps...
  3. recovery drive does nothing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recovery drive does nothing: I created a W10 recovery drive on a USB stick. I install it to computer and boot the computer, pressing F11. Here's what happens: a command prompt type screen comes up with words to hit ESC to continue startup and system recovery also on the page but no instructions on how to...
  4. recovery drive does nothing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    recovery drive does nothing: I created a W10 recovery drive on a USB stick. I install it to computer and boot the computer, pressing F11. Here's what happens: a command prompt type screen comes up with words to hit ESC to continue startup and system recovery also on the page but no instructions on how to...
  5. What does Windows recovery drive do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does Windows recovery drive do?: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,If I create a recovery drive, when I recover PC from USB it is clear that it will reinstall Windows but will it keep files and settings? If it remove files, will it remove only user data. will it keep drivers? What recovery drive feature copies to...
  6. What does Windows recovery drive do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What does Windows recovery drive do?: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,If I create a recovery drive, when I recover PC from USB it is clear that it will reinstall Windows but will it keep files and settings? If it remove files, will it remove only user data. will it keep drivers? What recovery drive feature copies to...
  7. What does Windows recovery drive do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. windows 10 map network drive does nothing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 map network drive does nothing: I've just rebuilt my PC and am on Windows Pro 64 bit version 1909. When I try to map a network drive, it lets me select the option but then nothing happens. this is even for when trying to set a drive for a sub directory in 'documents'. I had no problems before the...
  9. What does Create a Recovery Drive do?

in Windows 10 Support
    What does Create a Recovery Drive do?: Hi I'm not sure from the description what the create a recovery drive option does. Does this make a bootable repair disk, or USB drive, and does it include the files to restore Windows on it or just a disk that lets you access Windows Recovery. I guess I'm asking...
  10. Does the USB recovery drive require credentials?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does the USB recovery drive require credentials?: If you boot into the on-disk recovery environment, it needs credentials to do anything. What about if you make a recovery USB key and boot from that instead? Would you have access to the HDD and the tools without logging in? 55073