Windows 10: recovery drive of W10 Home

Discus and support recovery drive of W10 Home in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have decided, for 'just in case something happens', to make a recovery drive of my Windows 10 Home (version 10.0.19042) on a 32gb usb drive. In doing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by shuaner, May 4, 2021.

1. shuaner Win User

recovery drive of W10 Home

I have decided, for 'just in case something happens', to make a recovery drive of my Windows 10 Home (version 10.0.19042) on a 32gb usb drive. In doing so, Windows has deleted most of my personal documents on the C: drive (mostly doc/pdf/xls), but not some of the ones on desktop. I have rolled back to a previous restore point, but couldn't get the files back. I have checked on the recovery drive-mounting the .iso on a virtual drive, extracting with 7zip etc.- and the files aren't there. Have I lost them for good?

:)

shuaner, May 4, 2021
  2. MattSA_01 Win User

Windows 10 Recovery

When I used the W10 Pro recovery disk from other CPU, it went through the first steps and left me at the screen listing the various partitions on the drive. I choose what was the C drive and it returned the following:

'Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.'

I will try what you suggested and get back.

Matt

MattSA_01, May 4, 2021
  3. Recovery Drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern. In some cases, this could happen if you created a system restore point on your computer. Windows will use the recovery drive to revert to the previous time where your computer is working properly, or where you created
    it. Please don't attempt to put any files in the recovery drive or the restore process will fail. To give you more suggestion and helpful information, we would like to more about your computer. Please answer the question below:

• Did you make any changes to your computer before this issue occurs?
    • Have you install Windows Update before getting the Recovery drive?
    • Which version of Windows are you using? To check it, follow the steps through this
      link.

In the meantime, you can check the files inside the recovery drive and confirm if there are essential files that you need.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Lemuel Cie, May 4, 2021
  4. recovery drive of W10 Home

Heads Up, W10 Recovery Drive

When creating a recovery drive W10 prompts you with: "Everything on this drive will be deleted. If you have any personal files on this drive, make sure they are backed up".

They are not kidding. It wipes the entire drive, not just the partition.

I partitioned a 200 G USB Hard drive into two partitions F (34 G) for the recovery image, and G (150 G) for a Windows backup image. The recovery drive image wants 32Gb to use. My system has 80 gig so I'm not sure how I'll ever recover from a hard drive
    failure, but I played along to see how recovery drive works.

Windows Recovery Drive prompted me which drive to use. F or G. I selected the F partition.

It then prompted me to format my F drive which I did. However in creating the recovery drive it apparently repartitioned the drive and in turn deleted the G partition. The damn thing then sits there for hours "Copying System"

/editorial:

My goal in this exercise was to move from a hard drive to a new SSD. I did not want to reinstall the whole OS and reload every app. I found the whole "Recovery Drive" deceiving to say the least. I'm an MCSE, but the average user trying to save their
    data to "recover" from a hard drive failure will be deeply disappointed with the "recovery" drive method. My suggestion would be a full backup to a network device. Microsoft makes this who process way harder than it needs to be. Moving to a new SSD without
    encryption should not be this hard. Locking an OS install to a specific hard drive is insane.

keywords: W10, Recovery Drive, data loss, partition, USB, Waiting

mitchd12345, May 4, 2021
Thema:

recovery drive of W10 Home

1. recovery drive of W10 Home - Similar Threads - recovery drive W10

2. W10 Pro downgrade to w10 home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    W10 Pro downgrade to w10 home: My laptop came with W10 Home preinstalled by manufacturer. I purchased a windows 10 pro product key and installed. Now selling the laptop and wish to revert to W10 home and apply W10 Pro on new laptop. Is this possible?...
  3. W10 Pro downgrade to w10 home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 Pro downgrade to w10 home: My laptop came with W10 Home preinstalled by manufacturer. I purchased a windows 10 pro product key and installed. Now selling the laptop and wish to revert to W10 home and apply W10 Pro on new laptop. Is this possible?...
  4. W10 Pro downgrade to w10 home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrading W10 Home to W10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading W10 Home to W10 Pro: I bought a new PC and am attempting to upgrade from the W10 Home that came with the PC with a version of W10 Pro that I bought to upgrade my old PC but the new machine will not recognize the software on the flash drive containing the W10 Pro upgrade...
  6. gedit.msc for W10 Home

in Windows 10 Support
    gedit.msc for W10 Home: Is there a gedit.msc that is works with Windows 10 Home? The ones I found were for Windows 7. (2010, 2011) 158498
  7. Updates for W10 Home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates for W10 Home: Microsoft made the following announcement... ..... those with Windows 10 Home will have updates from Windows Update made available automatically. Only Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will be able to defer updates...... For W10 Home Users does ".... made...
  8. W10-pro shows W7-home but NOT W10-home in Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10-pro shows W7-home but NOT W10-home in Explorer: My W10-pro desktop does not show the W10-home on the multiboot laptop in Explorer whatever setting I use but it showed W7-home on that laptop as soon as I switched to it. I can Ping the laptop both in W7-home and W10-home. W10-home on the laptop however showes all shared...
  9. Install W10 Home OEM on to two drives - is it allowed?

Install W10 Home OEM on to two drives - is it allowed?: I have a W10 Home OEM DVD, and used it to install this OS on to an SSD. Unfortunately, I'm having some trouble with this SSD, so I bought another one. It's the same capacity, but made by a different manufacturer. Can I install the OEM OS on to the new drive OK? Or will MS...
  10. W10 recovery options.

W10 recovery options.: Got a HP 15-bw024na laptop for my mother, and want to do a recovery installing Windows only without all the third party crap. I'll lose AMD settings and AMD software apps in the process. I'm assuming this couldn't possibly wreck the machine? 106876