Windows 10: Recovery Drive Question

Discus and support Recovery Drive Question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is the recovery drive made with my desktop running W10 Pro 64 bit going to work if ever needed for my laptop running W10 Home 64 bit or will I need to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by stone, Sep 6, 2015.

1. stone Win User

Recovery Drive Question

Is the recovery drive made with my desktop running W10 Pro 64 bit going to work if ever needed for my laptop running W10 Home 64 bit or will I need to create a seperate recovery drive for the laptop as well? If I do need a separate recovery drive for the laptop, can someone tell me if these recovery drives are computer-specific or OS type specific?

I've looked around and can't seem to find a definite answer on that.

:)

stone, Sep 6, 2015

2. Recovery Drive Questions

I created a usb recovery drive and have some questions. Appreciate the help.

Does the recovery drive contain information specific to the PC on which it was created? Or, can I just use it on any Win10 machine assuming it is 32 or 64 bit? Drivers, user accounts and settings, registry, is this all on the usb recovery drive?

Will I still need the activation code or is that on the usb recovery drive?

Other than the recovery drive, is the a recommended backup procedure? Obviously my user account folders but I guess I'm looking for a way to restore Windows and not have to reload all my software and settings.

MichaelGerbasio, Sep 6, 2015
  3. Recovery Drive Questions

Hi Michael,

Please be informed that if you run into problems with your PC, a USB recovery drive can help you troubleshoot and fix those problems, even if your PC won't start.

Your PC might have come with a recovery image that’s used to refresh or reset your PC. The recovery image is stored on a dedicated recovery partition on your PC, and is typically 3-6 GB in size. To save space on your PC, you can delete the recovery image
    from your PC and use a recovery drive instead. Windows 10 includes a built-in tool to create a USB recovery drive. Windows will let you know how big the recovery partition is, and you'll need a USB flash drive at least that big.

For further information please refer to the article below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

Please post back if you need further assistance regarding recovery drive we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Amrita Bhattacharjee, Sep 6, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Recovery Drive Question

How did you make the recovery drive?

NavyLCDR, Sep 6, 2015
  5. stone Win User
    Control panel, recovery, create a recovery drive, selected keep system files option...used clean USB drive.

stone, Sep 7, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I believe that one is computer specific - won't work on other computers, but I might be wrong and someone will hopefully correct me if I am.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Recovery Drive Question

1. Recovery Drive Question - Similar Threads - Recovery Drive Question

2. A question about a recovery usb drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A question about a recovery usb drive: Hi, so I am posting this because my computer isn't too new but it is still running 10 smoothly. But since it isnt too new now, it may stop responding, lag, not boot properly, give errors, etc . There are some trojans that overwrite your MBR like it happened in 2016. I may...
  3. Recovery drive to cloud question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recovery drive to cloud question: Hello, I have a fresh computer and want to create a recovery drive, but do not want to keep track of a usb drive. Could I create the recovery drive on the usb drive, and then zip the entire drive and upload to the cloud? Then when I need it unzip back to another usb drive?...
  4. Recovery Drive question

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Drive question: Hi guys, I have installation media created on a USB flash drive with the Media Creation Tool. My PC is an OEM-Dell but I did away with all the Dell bloatware ages ago. I clean installed using the Media Creation Tool media. In Windows there has always been the option to create...
  5. BOOTABLE USB RECOVERY DRIVE questions.

in Windows 10 Support
    BOOTABLE USB RECOVERY DRIVE questions.: I have a couple of questions concerning USB Recovery Drives such as can be created by AOEMI and MACRUM Backup programs. They have got my PCs going many times over the years. First ,does the Flash Drive have to be empty?I think I recall having to format the drive before use,...
  6. Recovery Drive Question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recovery Drive Question: A couple of questions: 1) I have (3) machines with Windows 10 on them. Will a single recovery drive be usable on all three...if I ever needed it...or do I have to make (3) individual recovery drives? One machine is Windows 10 Home and the others are Pro...if that makes a...
  7. Win 10 "Recovery Drive" General Questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 "Recovery Drive" General Questions: "A*recovery drive*can help you troubleshoot and fix problems with your PC, even if it won’t start. A recovery drive is a USB version of a*system repair disc*with an option to include the system files to be able to also reset Windows 10 from the recovery drive." Two...
  8. Hard drive recovery question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive recovery question: So i messed up and changed something around with how the files work on my slave drive and rendered it unusable. Now the drive is in RAW format. I ran Easeus data recovery and was able to get access to the files on that drive. I have two options, since i haven't enough...
  9. Recovery Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Question: Working with a laptop that was upgraded from 7 to 10. need to go back to 7 but its been a few months since the upgrade. I know I could do a clean install but would like to do a recovery if possible. There is a recovery partition. Wanted to be sure the recovery partition is...
  10. Question about Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about Recovery Drive: I have a primary drive which is 500 GB - I would like to split it so that I can use half for OS and half for data. I made a recovery USB (before I split the drive) and I would like to know that if I restore whether the disk partition will go back to how it was when the...