Windows 10: Recovery Drive vs System Repair Disc vs Boot Drive? (Windows 10)

Discus and support Recovery Drive vs System Repair Disc vs Boot Drive? (Windows 10) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi. Just did my first System Image onto an external hard drive from my Windows 10 laptop. It worked. At the end it asked me do I want to make a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mike Omputersduffed, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Recovery Drive vs System Repair Disc vs Boot Drive? (Windows 10)

Hi. Just did my first System Image onto an external hard drive from my Windows 10 laptop. It worked. At the end it asked me do I want to make a System Repair Disc. I said yes. I see I can only choose to use the CD drive. When traveling (regular) I would rather take a flash drive. CD's are easy to damage. So I looked up and saw that a 'Recovery Drive' can be put on a USB device. Searching for what that means I have only seen a vague indication it's more content than a 'System Repair Disc'. I am hoping that is not just another term for a 'System Image'. I don't really want 2 of them.

So I have 3 questions please:
    (1) Is a 'Recovery Drive' closer to a System Repair Disc in content and intention than a whole system image (as I already have that), and if not then is there a USB based solution other than a whole system image, which would be rather overkill and long-winded and tedious to have available for some boot type resolution.
    (2) If a 'Recovery Drive' is what I need, then my flash drive is 16GB, is that big enough? If not what size (would say a 32GB flash drive do?
    (3) Apart from a system image, recovery drive and then initiating File History back-ups. Should one set up anything else for Back up and Recovery e.g. say a 'Boot Disk' or does that mean the same thing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

:)

Mike Omputersduffed, Aug 22, 2019

2. Recovery Drive versus System Repair Disc

In Windows 10 there are two different operating system recovery/repair programs:

• Using Control Panel | System and Security | Backup and Restore (Windows 7) you can create a System Repair Disc, typically on a DVD.
    • By searching for Recovery Drive you can create a recovery drive on a USB drive that typically requires ~6 GB.
    Is it important to make both of these, and when do you want one and when do you want the other?

Should each of these be updated for major operating system updates?

Mickey Segal, Aug 22, 2019
  3. recovery drive/system repair disc

Is the "recovery drive" and the "system repair disc" the same thing? And that's what I need to save windows 10 OS so if something happens I can reinstall it, right?

Or are they 2 different things, and I should do both?

heathersilver, Aug 22, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

Recovery Drive vs System Repair Disc vs Boot Drive? (Windows 10)

Is it ok to use a USB Recovery Drive instead of a System Repair disc?

(from the tutorials).

I thoroughly agree with you about Macrium.

If she has any other drives or partitions, try asking her how those are protected and what would happen if those failed.

Also ask her how she's going to keep her system image updated.

And you could point out that that strategy will leave her having to do a clean install should her disk fail - not the case with Macrium.

dalchina, Aug 22, 2019
Thema:

Recovery Drive vs System Repair Disc vs Boot Drive? (Windows 10)

1. Recovery Drive vs System Repair Disc vs Boot Drive? (Windows 10) - Similar Threads - Recovery Drive System

2. Windows recovery drive vs. windows media creation tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows recovery drive vs. windows media creation tool: Hi,I still cannot seem to be able to wrap my head around the difference between creating a windows recovery drive in the recovery drive section of the control panel, and downloading the tool off the internet called media creation tool to a USB thumb drive.Are those 2 thumb...
  3. Windows recovery drive vs. windows media creation tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows recovery drive vs. windows media creation tool: Hi,I still cannot seem to be able to wrap my head around the difference between creating a windows recovery drive in the recovery drive section of the control panel, and downloading the tool off the internet called media creation tool to a USB thumb drive.Are those 2 thumb...
  4. Windows recovery drive vs. windows media creation tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cloning vs Imaging boot drive upgrade

Cloning vs Imaging boot drive upgrade: Hi everyone. I just received a Sabrent 1tb Rocket gen 4 nvme to replace my 500gb Samsung EVO ssd boot drive. Now I've done this once already when I replaced my sata hdd with the EVO and I think I cloned the boot drive, but I don't remember which software I used. I think it...
  6. Question on WIN 10 Recovery Drive vs Macrium Recovery/boot/image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question on WIN 10 Recovery Drive vs Macrium Recovery/boot/image: Tried creating a Windows 10 Recovery USB but two attempts failed for some unknown reason - both popped up a window stating that Recovery Drive was not Created (although it contained numerous files). I used the common method to create the Recovery using a 16 GB USB which was...
  7. C Drive vs. D Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C Drive vs. D Drive: Hello--looking for some assistance with designating storage to the D drive on my computer. I have the settings arranged so that all new download content is supposed to go to the D drive--music, etc.--but it is still going to the C drive anyway. Thanks for any help!...
  8. Recovery USB drive vs. Windows 10 bootable USB ?

Recovery USB drive vs. Windows 10 bootable USB ?: 1 . In Windows 10, one can create a Recovery Drive on a USB flash drive . 2 .Using Rufus after downloading Windows 10 installation ISO file from microsoft, I can make a bootable USB windows installation that can help me repair my existing windows installation or let me...
  9. Macrium Rescue Drive vs Windows Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Rescue Drive vs Windows Recovery Drive: Is there any reason for me to create a Windows recovery USB drive if I already have a Macrium Reflect rescue USB drive and a set of solid images? If anything goes wrong I can always restore an image, so I’m not sure what additional protections a Windows recover drive would...
  10. Recovery Drive vs Recovery Partition vs PE Rescue Disk, confused.

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Drive vs Recovery Partition vs PE Rescue Disk, confused.: After I did a clean install of Win10 about a year ago, I created a USB Recovery Drive. I also have a Norton Security Recovery Drive and I’ve created USB Bootable PE Rescue Disk by Kyhi. I also use Acronis to create regular full disk images and I have a USB Bootable Acronis...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Recovery Drive vs System Repair Disc

2. system recovery drive vs system repair disc

3. recovery drive vs

4. repair disc vs rebootable drive