Windows 10: Recovery Drive

Discus and support Recovery Drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have tried several times to create a system recovery drive on a USB. Followed the instructions to the letter, and used two different brand, brand... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by carrotmuseum, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Recovery Drive

I have tried several times to create a system recovery drive on a USB.

Followed the instructions to the letter, and used two different brand, brand new USB's.

After initial start up it says I need a USB with at least 8 GB capacity, which these USB's have. But nothing happens, it just keeps asking for a USB after one has been inserted.

:)

carrotmuseum, Oct 26, 2015
  2. CSHRLH Win User

Recovery Drive Fail : Create a recovery drive fails in windows 10

I've been experiencing the same issue creating a recovery USB. I initially created a recovery disc after purchase of my Acer laptop with Windows 10 and after upgrading to the Creator's update fall edition, I thought to create a new recovery drive. Now,
    since I tried to use the same USB, I am left with no recovery drive at all since the USB was formatted in the process. I've tried going back to the previous version of Windows and using a restore point returning to before the Creator's update with no luck
    creating a drive. The system wouldn't even restore to the restore point I had created, but instead deleted it. Although I am having no problems with Windows, I feel cheated that I can't create a recovery USB for future use. Is this Microsoft's way of making
    me purchase recovery media?

CSHRLH, Oct 26, 2015
  3. Recovery Drive Fail : Create a recovery drive fails in windows 10

Big thanks to all of you guys,

I have been facing the same problem.

would like to add that I have tried two steps, which seem to have worked for me, and managed to create a USB recovery drive for my WIndows 10.

My Usb drive stick is a 16 GB one.

First Step, as mentioned by "1-Prop" (quote below), I too have mistakenly set the "hard drive sleep time to 0 minutes" in my "power options", so I simply set it to "never" (for both options, when on battery and when plugged in).

Second Step, I have opened the location on my C:\ drive where the executable for the Create recovery disk tool is located, and I have "right-clicked" on the executable file and selected "Run as Administrator". On my computer the path for the executable is:
    "c:\Windows\System32\RecoveryDrive.exe".

Those two steps seem to work for me, and I managed to boot my laptop (in my case, I am on Dell Alienware 15 R2 laptop), I had to press F12 (on the boot screen) and then selected to boot from my USB stick.

I hope this would help someone else too.

Best wishes & Good luck.

~Sam~

SalmanExorcist, Oct 26, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

Recovery Drive

Insert USB - then start program

5. Great, that works, thanks. Others reading this should also know the whole process took about 3 hours!! Also beware that any power management options will abort the process. e.g. my pc was set for screen off after 30 mins. So after that the recovery drive creation process aborted! - I do wish Windows would give some clues about this process.

Q

carrotmuseum, Oct 27, 2015
  6. You could have accomplished much the same, and in a LOT less time, if you had used the free version of Macrium Reflect to do an image backup to USB stick. I regularly do that, and 10 minutes is the LONGEST it has ever taken. When I recently changed to using an SSD, the backup took only a couple of minutes, and restores are just as fast!

Mark Phelps, Oct 28, 2015
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Absolutely. Windows should notice something's running and suspend the time out for power savings.

A big +1 for Macrium Reflect. While blazingly fast on powerful pcs it will of course be slower on lesser hardware and a bunch of other factors. Still, a very impressive piece of software indeed.

Hats off to Kyhi the magician too. *Biggrin

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Recovery Drive

1. Recovery Drive - Similar Threads - Recovery Drive

2. Windows 11 Create Recovery Drive Utility after April 2024 Windows Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Create Recovery Drive Utility after April 2024 Windows Update: I have generally created a new recovery drive image after each Windows Update - which is generally monthly. I actually create two just to be on the safeside. Following the April 2024 update the creation of the image fails when about 95% complete. I have rebooted the computer...
  3. Windows 11 Create Recovery Drive Utility after April 2024 Windows Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Create Recovery Drive Utility after April 2024 Windows Update: I have generally created a new recovery drive image after each Windows Update - which is generally monthly. I actually create two just to be on the safeside. Following the April 2024 update the creation of the image fails when about 95% complete. I have rebooted the computer...
  4. My D drive was locked by bitlocker. You recover that or give me the recovery key.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My D drive was locked by bitlocker. You recover that or give me the recovery key.: My D drive was locked automatically by bitlocker and i was not enable that so, i have no recovery key and after that i reinstall the window 11 then the same thing show D drive was locked . I have very personal data in it so please find some solution for it . You recover that...
  5. My D drive was locked by bitlocker. You recover that or give me the recovery key.

My D drive was locked by bitlocker. You recover that or give me the recovery key.: My D drive was locked automatically by bitlocker and i was not enable that so, i have no recovery key and after that i reinstall the window 11 then the same thing show D drive was locked . I have very personal data in it so please find some solution for it . You recover that...
  6. Surface pro 6 : cannot enter recovery, cannot reinstall, no drives found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface pro 6 : cannot enter recovery, cannot reinstall, no drives found: Hello,My surface pro 6 just refused to log in windows one day. It was not possible to do recovery. i tried to reinstall windows with a bootable USB, however, when it was time to install, i got the 'No device drivers were found' message.I then downloaded RST driver on intel...
  7. Surface pro 6 : cannot enter recovery, cannot reinstall, no drives found

Surface pro 6 : cannot enter recovery, cannot reinstall, no drives found: Hello,My surface pro 6 just refused to log in windows one day. It was not possible to do recovery. i tried to reinstall windows with a bootable USB, however, when it was time to install, i got the 'No device drivers were found' message.I then downloaded RST driver on intel...
  8. Surface pro 6 : cannot enter recovery, cannot reinstall, no drives found

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. cannot find "Create a recovery Drive" Tool on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot find "Create a recovery Drive" Tool on Windows 11: Model: HP Envy TE01-4000Windows 11 Home, Version 10.0.22631, Build 22631. I cannot find "Create a recovery Drive" Tool on Windows 11 Home Edition. Has it been included into Home Edition? If not, can download/buy it somewhere?...
  10. cannot find "Create a recovery Drive" Tool on Windows 11

cannot find "Create a recovery Drive" Tool on Windows 11: Model: HP Envy TE01-4000Windows 11 Home, Version 10.0.22631, Build 22631. I cannot find "Create a recovery Drive" Tool on Windows 11 Home Edition. Has it been included into Home Edition? If not, can download/buy it somewhere?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. BitLocker Repair Tool abort proces