Windows 10: Recovery fails

Discus and support Recovery fails in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Split from this thread. I haveexactly the same problem, this time with a newly re-installed Lenovo Thinkpad 10 ver 2, which I have had working fine.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Xavier VNY, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Recovery fails

Split from this thread.​

I haveexactly the same problem, this time with a newly re-installed Lenovo Thinkpad 10 ver 2, which I have had working fine. This is using the USB restore made from the Microsoft utility. With a nearly new Sandisk 32GB Flash drive.

I go into some details here because this may be useful in more cases generally.

I don't think this is a hardware issue as the last thread in this series (July 18 2019 from the OP exia000) seems to indicate, something more subtle may be happening about the computer's internal SSD's condition: that SSD may be good, BUT something about its formatting or previous formatting is weird and may need to be reset, I'm not sure how at the moment, something drastic that normal formatting doesn't address). The reason is as follows:

Previously:

P1 - I was able to install Windows v1607 from a standard USB Windows restore flash drive. (same Sandisk 32GB model)

P2 - I was also able to image and restore from AOMEI image backup files - using ONE external USB drive holding both the AOMEI boot setup files and the system image files. (Kingston USB Data Traveler)

P3 - I was unable to restore the OEM Lenovo system from Lenovo's downloaded files and creating a bootable USB drive (Sandisk 32GB model) . The setup would start alright "Product Recovery is restoring the system" but after 5 mins an error message would pop up "Recovery Failed" . On examining the drive from an external USB utility I could see that a few folders were created ( WIndows, Program Files.. ) but they were empty.

Recovery fails e884330d-7c66-410a-ac7d-73206e303774?upload=true.jpg

After the fiasco mentioned at the beginning:

A1 - I was able to restore the system as in P2, first deleting all the incomplete partitions created by the failed P3 procedure

Possible followups:

F1 - I would like to wipe out at a low level the internal computer SSD - I only know how to do this with an SSD I can mount on a separate PC - wiping (LLF) the internal SSD would be possible if I can get an external SSD running Windows on the PC (Thinkpad 10), or if there is a bootable USB that has a LLF formatting utility. If anyone knows how to get one, please let me know.

(either fy adding to this thread or directly at karenal at airpost dot net

F2 - I might try to restore exactly as in P3 with a similar Thinkpad T10 I have (would have to remove all data and make sure I can, hopefully restore it after the test). That would only confirm that there is something wrong with that SSD. Sort of useful since the PC is still under factory warranty.

:)

Xavier VNY, Sep 3, 2019
  2. yogurt_21 Win User

Data recovery software

The Big Useful List Of Free Useful Programs To Use Usually For Free

click the top spoiler and then look down to recovery.

All of the suggestions in the old threads were consolidated into that one.

yogurt_21, Sep 3, 2019
  3. android recovery and kernel.img

For thouse who CAN help...:I can't enter adb (device not recognized), can't flash using stock recovery (don't really know the steps and stuck at triage and dead android when in recovery),

ELiTRiGG3R, Sep 3, 2019
  4. Recovery fails

Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Sep 3, 2019
Thema:

Recovery fails

1. Recovery fails - Similar Threads - Recovery fails

2. Windows Update issue failed to install , 0x80070643 and lost recovery partition following...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update issue failed to install , 0x80070643 and lost recovery partition following...: I have been unable to run windows updates since December 2023/January 2024 now continously getting "Install error - 0x80070643". I have tried running update troubleshooter running the DSIM and SFC commands but that did not help. I also followed directions on resizing the...
  3. Windows Update issue failed to install , 0x80070643 and lost recovery partition following...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update issue failed to install , 0x80070643 and lost recovery partition following...: I have been unable to run windows updates since December 2023/January 2024 now continously getting "Install error - 0x80070643". I have tried running update troubleshooter running the DSIM and SFC commands but that did not help. I also followed directions on resizing the...
  4. Windows Update issue failed to install , 0x80070643 and lost recovery partition following...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Failed to load the recovery key

Failed to load the recovery key: It always shows this when I tried to find the recovery key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-load-the-recovery-key/35b6ae92-a870-47e6-8788-755c4b626bde
  6. Failed to load the recovery key

Failed to load the recovery key: It always shows this when I tried to find the recovery key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-load-the-recovery-key/35b6ae92-a870-47e6-8788-755c4b626bde
  7. Failed to load the recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Hi. Laptop motherboard failed, was replaced. Recovery key does not work. Please assist..

Hi. Laptop motherboard failed, was replaced. Recovery key does not work. Please assist..: BitLocker asks for a recovery key, which was obtained but refused to be accepted on a laptop with replaced motherboard. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-laptop-motherboard-failed-was-replaced-recovery/4ed770d8-d6fd-408d-bc91-b63ded612e2c
  9. Hi. Laptop motherboard failed, was replaced. Recovery key does not work. Please assist..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi. Laptop motherboard failed, was replaced. Recovery key does not work. Please assist..: BitLocker asks for a recovery key, which was obtained but refused to be accepted on a laptop with replaced motherboard. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-laptop-motherboard-failed-was-replaced-recovery/4ed770d8-d6fd-408d-bc91-b63ded612e2c
  10. How can I upgrade OS when Windows Update fails, Reset PC fails, Recovery option fails?

How can I upgrade OS when Windows Update fails, Reset PC fails, Recovery option fails?: Windows update succeeds on Windows defender only. The notification says my computer is missing important security updates but when I click check updates it goes nowhere and leaves me with same notification Did the troubleshooter and Update Assistant.. Repeated attempts to...