Windows 10: Recovery options gone ?

Discus and support Recovery options gone ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What I'm expecting: [img] What I get: [img] Hello! I just discover that my recovery options have disappeared, leaving me with the only option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RobertJay, Dec 25, 2015.

1. RobertJay Win User

Recovery options gone ?

What I'm expecting:

Recovery options gone ? [​IMG]

What I get:

Recovery options gone ? [​IMG]

Hello! I just discover that my recovery options have disappeared, leaving me with the only option to Turn Off my PC instead of the usual "Reset your PC or see advanced options". I enclove two snapshots: One with the expected screen, the other one with the actual screen I got each time I invoque the Windows 10 recovery.
    I have no clue whatsoever about how to fix that. My recovery partition is present as well as the EFI partition. Except for this problem my PC is working fine.
    Any help from you guys would be very much appreciated.
    Bob

:)

RobertJay, Dec 25, 2015

2. Startup failure

Gone through all the recovery options and none seems to be of help. Probably will have to format.

Hilto_Lewi, Dec 25, 2015
  3. Virus Killed Windows

Well, if you read carefully, I ,mentioned that the system details are not being shown. No settings, no recovery options. That section is totally gone.

Bhavishah8, Dec 25, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Recovery options gone ?

Brink, Dec 25, 2015
  5. RobertJay Win User
    Hi Brink,
    Thank you very much for your suggestion. I've prepared an installation USB drive following your instructions and will try this solution asap (not at home for a couple of days).
    BTW I've already tried several of the options on the link you mention. OPTION 4 (booting from a USB recovery drive) gave me the normal full option screen. On the contrary, OPTIONs 1 and 2 only gave me the ability to turn my PC off.
    Bob

RobertJay, Dec 25, 2015
  6. Word Man Win User
    Hi, RobertJay. You might want to execute "reagentc /info" from an elevated command prompt (admin) and post a screenshot of the output. Also, a screenshot of your Disk Management console graphic would be helpful. It could be that you still have the partition for advanced startup options there and it simply needs re-enabled.

Word Man, Dec 25, 2015
  7. RobertJay Win User
    Thank you very much Word Man for your suggestion. I was not aware of the existence of the "reagentc" command.
    Looks promissing ! I will post back the info you request as soon as I return home.
    Bob

RobertJay, Dec 26, 2015
  8. RobertJay Win User

Recovery options gone ?

I'm back home *Smile

As promised, I'm posting back my findings further to your advice.

In short the answer is "yes" all the desired recovery options are available when I boot from the Windows 10 installation USB you've suggested me to create.

Moreover, I've been able to solve my problem. Here are the steps:
    Following Word Man suggestion I've issued the following command:

-->> "reagentc /info"
    to discover that the damage was more serious than I thought as the only output I got issuing this command was:

-->> REAGENTC.EXE : Operation failed: 490

I've then also tried the following commands:
    -->> REAGENTC /disable
    -->> REAGENTC /enable
    but both produced the same output with the same error code: "Operation failed 490"

I've then checked out the "C:\Windows\System32\Recovery" folder and found 2 files:
    -->>ReAgent.xml
    -->>ReAgent_Merged.xml1 (obviously a backup of an older version of ReAgent.xml file)
    I was not able to identify where this backup file originated from (Old Acronis or Aomei Backupper install or uninstall?) though.

I've renamed that backup copy ReAgent.xml and tried again to issue the ReAgentC /info command which didn't return any error but stated that the Recovery environment was *inactive*
    I just had to type:
    -->> REAGENTC /enable
    to get everything back in order.

The command "BCDEDIT /enum all" confirmed that everything was back in place but showed some "Unknown" device or filedevice entries which were easy to manually repair by making them point to "Partition C:"

So problem solved *Smile
    I take this opportunity to thank you Brink for the wealth of information you make available to us. I'm one of your faithful reader and I'm happy to take this opportunity to express my gratitude for your efforts and your help.
    Thank you also Word Man for revealing me the existence of the ReAgencC.exe utility which also pointed me in the right direction.
    Bob

RobertJay, Dec 27, 2015
  9. Word Man Win User
    Great, Bob! Glad you got it sorted!*Smile

Word Man, Dec 27, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm happy to hear that you got it sorted Bob. *Party

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Recovery options gone ?

1. Recovery options gone ? - Similar Threads - Recovery options gone

2. Sleep option is gone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep option is gone: Hi!For the past two days my laptop does not show the Sleep option in Power... i found this question and tried all of the methods that were recommended, none of them worked for me.I also do not have the option to "check" sleep in Control panel. Is there anything else I could...
  3. Settings Option is Gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings Option is Gone: Help! Can someone answer me on how can I fix this? You see only time and language are available in my settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-option-is-gone/38700842-1488-44bb-8624-4e4287159151
  4. Settings Option is Gone

Settings Option is Gone: Help! Can someone answer me on how can I fix this? You see only time and language are available in my settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-option-is-gone/38700842-1488-44bb-8624-4e4287159151
  5. Rename option gone

Rename option gone: Whenever I right click on an image file, the rename option isn’t available, and this only happens with image files. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rename-option-gone/20fcf1fd-6800-4379-b99b-9c017748722f
  6. Sleep option gone

Sleep option gone: On my windows 10 laptop, my sleep option has completely disappeared. I've tried multiple solutions, but none of them worked. Here are the ones I have tried:Restoring the default power options using the command window, evening running it as administrator and restarting my PC...
  7. The Bluetooth option is gone

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The Bluetooth option is gone: Hi . I have Bluetooth on my laptop. Two months ago, I changed my Windows. And since then, I can not connect via Bluetooth. The Bluetooth option is gone and I can't turn it on in the settings. What should I do ?...
  8. Bluetooth option is gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bluetooth option is gone: My bluetooth turned off by itself, and the switch to turn it on is just not there. I've tried turning everything I could find off and back on again. I've updated everything I could update. I've tried everything I could think of and nothing seems to work. Windows says...
  9. Sleep option is gone

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep option is gone: On my windows 10 laptop, the sleep option simply disappeared from the start menu. I then looked up on the internet for solutions but when explored the control panel and the settings, the sleep option was not available in Settings>System>Power and Sleep. It also wasn't...
  10. Rip option gone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Rip option gone: I did a Windows update and now the Rip option is gone from Windows Media Player. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Media Player. I tried turning media features on and off and restarting. No change....