Windows 10: Recovery options question

Discus and support Recovery options question in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I go into recovery options, I don't have the option startup settings under advanced options. Why is mine missing? I just had to format and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by debgram, Jul 28, 2016.

1. debgram Win User

Recovery options question

When I go into recovery options, I don't have the option startup settings under advanced options. Why is mine missing? I just had to format and reinstall 10 cause I couldn't get into safe mode to see if I can fix my problem. I have a hard time getting into safe mode, I h ave a asus motherboard and I try what they suggest but still doesn't work. In the manual it says press f8 after POST. What is considered after POST? Is that after the asus logo where it has the del option to get into the bios.

:)

debgram, Jul 28, 2016
  2. Grace Pas Win User

Recovery option

Hi Kamil,

Kindly follow the steps provided on this
    link

Let us know how it goes.

Grace Pas, Jul 28, 2016
  3. Stod58 Win User
    Recovery option

Hey,

I'm having a similar issue. My File Explorer will not open at all since a recent update and my Task Manager has stopped working. It says the disk image is bad. Have you found anything out?

Stod58, Jul 28, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Open Admin Command and type: reagentc /info
    If the Recovery Environment is Disabled then you won't see the Advanced option.
    To Enable: reagentc /enable

topgundcp, Jul 31, 2016
  5. debgram Win User
    It says it's enabled. It did show up one time but after that I couldn't get it to show up.

debgram, Jul 31, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    By any chance, did you mess around with bcdedit command or use any software to modify the BCD ?

topgundcp, Jul 31, 2016
  7. debgram Win User
    I tried to fix or rebuild the boot.

debgram, Jul 31, 2016
  8. topgundcp Win User

Some of the entries in the BCD show as unknown and if you delete any of them then it would cause some options missing also. In your case: Startup Settings.

Did you upgrade your ASUS from Win 8 ?

topgundcp, Jul 31, 2016
  9. debgram Win User
    I had windows 7 and did a clean install of windows 10, formatted drive and started from scratch. Like I said when I had to redo windows last week that option showed up, when I went back in after several attempts to boot up with no success I remembered that option, but when I went in to select it, it wasn't there.

debgram, Aug 1, 2016
  10. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Aug 1, 2016
  11. debgram Win User
    debgram, Aug 1, 2016
  12. topgundcp Win User
    From disk 1, Your Windows 10 OS. From what I saw, this is not a clean fresh install and I don't know how you did it.
    A fresh Windows 10 installation should have: 500MB System Reserved Partition and C drive. Normally, when you perform fresh install, you should not format the drive, just leave it unallocated and let Windows creates all needed partitions. In addition, you had 2 additional Recovery Partitions of 450 MB each, this indicated that you somehow did an upgrade.

BTW, why did you configure your E: and D: drives as logical ? Normally, they should be congifured as Primary, not logical.

topgundcp, Aug 1, 2016
  13. spunk Win User

If you previously had Windows installed on a different drive and then installed Windows on Disk 1, Windows would not install a hidden System Partition on Disk 1, it would use the already existing System Partition on the previous Windows drive. If you were to remove that drive, then Windows will not boot. The other way is to clone just the Windows Partition and not the Hidden System Partition.
    As for Safe Mode, go to Settings/Update and security/Recovery/Advanced Startup/Restart Now/Trouble Shoot it will give you Safe Mode as one of the options.
    If you can't boot, just keep spamming F8. You may have to restart several times to get to Trouble Shooting.

spunk, Aug 1, 2016
  14. topgundcp Win User
    @spunk
    This info is incorrect. His disk 0 and 2 contain only games. There's no hidden System Partition in this case but everything is in C: drive: Original Recovery, BCD (boot configuration file) and that's why C: partition is marked as "Active". If there's a hidden System Reserved partition then the System Reserved partition would be marked as "Active"

topgundcp, Aug 1, 2016
  15. debgram Win User
    I don't know. I had the tech guy put the motherboard in and I'm pretty use my c drive was the disk 0 before and now it's 1. I had a partition on that drive and when I did the clean install I wiped out that partition and just left the drive as one. I had to format cause I wanted to get rid of the partitiion. Yeah I tried an upgrade first but was having problems so it was suggested to me in one of these forums to do a clean install.

Is there any way to change the E and D drives to primary?

debgram, Aug 1, 2016
Thema:

1. Recovery options question - Similar Threads - Recovery options question

2. Windows Recovery Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Recovery Question: I've noticed in Recovery there are 2 options: "Reset this PC' and "Restart now' Resetting removes all my apps I installed; I believe.Restart no is to access removable media among other things.My question is, is it possible to back up my system and all my apps today and...
  3. Questions on Windows Recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Questions on Windows Recovery: Hello everyone, I'd like to know: -If I need anything like an installation disc or usb drive with windows 10 installation files before doing a recovery on my laptop; -Will it remove viruses, malware, trojans, spyware and other bad stuff from my laptop?...
  4. Recovery Drive question

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Drive question: Hi guys, I have installation media created on a USB flash drive with the Media Creation Tool. My PC is an OEM-Dell but I did away with all the Dell bloatware ages ago. I clean installed using the Media Creation Tool media. In Windows there has always been the option to create...
  5. Recovery Drive Question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recovery Drive Question: A couple of questions: 1) I have (3) machines with Windows 10 on them. Will a single recovery drive be usable on all three...if I ever needed it...or do I have to make (3) individual recovery drives? One machine is Windows 10 Home and the others are Pro...if that makes a...
  6. BitLocker Recovery Questions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker Recovery Questions: I just have a few basic questions about BitLocker: - I was just wondering what happens if I lose my password and recovery key. Would I (or someone else) be able to access my HDD (I hope not...)? - If my hardware failed (except for my HDD) and I attached my HDD to another...
  7. Backup @ Recovery question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup @ Recovery question: I just upgraded W7 to W10 on my old laptop. Now I want to create a backup in case my HDD fails. 1. Create Recovery Drive (windows utility) using USB drive. 2. Run Backup and Restore (windows utility) using external HDD. One think I noticed it says "Backup and Restore...
  8. Recovery Partition question

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Partition question: I have space for the recovery partition but it says the partition is empty. I was trying to make a recovery usb and it would say couldn't create one. I went under computer management and the space is accolated but says it has 100% free space, so how come when I did the clean...
  9. Recovery Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Question: Working with a laptop that was upgraded from 7 to 10. need to go back to 7 but its been a few months since the upgrade. I know I could do a clean install but would like to do a recovery if possible. There is a recovery partition. Wanted to be sure the recovery partition is...
  10. Recovery Drive Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery Drive Question: Is the recovery drive made with my desktop running W10 Pro 64 bit going to work if ever needed for my laptop running W10 Home 64 bit or will I need to create a seperate recovery drive for the laptop as well? If I do need a separate recovery drive for the laptop, can someone...