Windows 10: recovery options, reset versus reinstall from dvd?

Discus and support recovery options, reset versus reinstall from dvd? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...covery-options If the SFC /scannow comes back good. what good will reset the pc accomplish? How does a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sdowney717, Nov 13, 2017.

1. recovery options, reset versus reinstall from dvd?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...covery-options

If the SFC /scannow comes back good. what good will reset the pc accomplish?
    How does a complete fresh install fix things if SFC is ok?

I dont understand if the system files are ok, is it configuration files that are the issue?

:)

sdowney717, Nov 13, 2017

2. Performance issue after the upgrade.

There's little value to a custom installation versus a clean new installation.

I would still need to reinstall all my apps, right?

How is a custom installation different from using "Reset this PC" under Settings>Recovery?

smlevinson, Nov 13, 2017
  3. i've tried resetting my windows 10 pc by selecting the keep my data and reinstall the OS. but it fails to reset. any suggestions?

i've tried resetting my windows 10 pc by selecting the keep my data and reinstall the OS FROM THE RECOVERY OPTIONS....

but it never gets reset. after reaching 53% the resetting stops and says there was a error resetting.... any suggestions for this problem

udaysaikumar, Nov 13, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

recovery options, reset versus reinstall from dvd?

First, what is 'reset'?

From the tutorial:
    Keep my files
    • This is to refresh Windows 10.
    • Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.
    • Removes apps and drivers you installed.
    • Removes changes you made to settings.
    • Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)
    Remove everything
    • This is to reset Windows 10.
    • Reinstalls Windows 10 and removes all your personal files.
    • Removes apps and drivers you installed.
    • Removes changes you made to settings.
    • Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)
    • If you're planning to donate, recycle, or sell your PC, use this option and choose to fully clean the drive. This might take an hour or two, but it makes it harder for other people to recover files you've removed.
    This reinstalls Windows, with the two options, including by definition, removing all installed programs.
    That's quite different to simply checking and correcting where possible your system files vs those in a repository on your disk.

Second- the Registry:
    Reinstall- you get a completely new registry; SFC doesn't repair the registry.

There are so many areas which SFC doesn't touch- drivers, installed programs and conflicts, possible disk problems and corruption affecting files SFC doesn't check.....

Just because SFC passes does not and cannot guarantee Windows will run smoothly.

dalchina, Nov 13, 2017
Thema:

recovery options, reset versus reinstall from dvd?

1. recovery options, reset versus reinstall from dvd? - Similar Threads - recovery options reset

2. Reset and recovery options missing from recovery troubleshoot menu & USB recovery not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset and recovery options missing from recovery troubleshoot menu & USB recovery not...: My laptop randomly stopped working. Blue screen, says critical process died. I've tried probably every troubleshoot I could find searching Google. All options on the recovery troubleshoot menu. Startup repair, uninstall updates, system restore, etc, none of that works....
  3. Reset and recovery options missing from recovery troubleshoot menu & USB recovery not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reset and recovery options missing from recovery troubleshoot menu & USB recovery not...: My laptop randomly stopped working. Blue screen, says critical process died. I've tried probably every troubleshoot I could find searching Google. All options on the recovery troubleshoot menu. Startup repair, uninstall updates, system restore, etc, none of that works....
  4. Reset and recovery options missing from recovery troubleshoot menu & USB recovery not...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. MSI recovery back up versus Microsoft recovery drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSI recovery back up versus Microsoft recovery drive: Hello,Please could someone explain the difference between these two tools? I normally create a Microsoft Recovery Drive when I set up a new laptop but I have set up a recovery back up with MSI Center because it recommended to do this before upgrading to Windows 11.If MSI...
  6. MSI recovery back up versus Microsoft recovery drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MSI recovery back up versus Microsoft recovery drive: Hello,Please could someone explain the difference between these two tools? I normally create a Microsoft Recovery Drive when I set up a new laptop but I have set up a recovery back up with MSI Center because it recommended to do this before upgrading to Windows 11.If MSI...
  7. Mordern combact versus acount recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mordern combact versus acount recovery: Hi my name is Ruben I played mordern combact versus for 8 months and i had to uninstall mordern combact versus because my laptop was getting bad , so i saved my progress in Facebook and after some time my facebook account got temporarily...
  8. Want to reinstall windows from recovery dvd

Want to reinstall windows from recovery dvd: A few of my windows files were corrupted and could not be repaired with command prompt. i decided to eeset my computer but now i was all my hardware component drivers. Is there anyway to get my hard drive to be wiped completely so i can boot from this recovery disc?...
  9. reinstall from Recovery

reinstall from Recovery: Having a strange problem. I want to reinstall windows from my HP Recovery Drive. (I know I can download the Win 10 Media creator Tool, but I don't want to). Since I have no longer have the Recovery manager (and HP doesn't make it available), I used 7Zip to extract the WIM...
  10. Reinstall Windows 10 from DVD but no DVD drive

Reinstall Windows 10 from DVD but no DVD drive: Hi I inadvertently set my new laptop with 256 Mb SSD to sync with my OneDrive of 1 Tb. My laptop synced until it ran out of storage and now when I try to boot up, I get Attempting to Repair, Diagnosing Problem, etc. etc. I have worked my way through every option to no...