Windows 10: Recovery Partition that I did not have with 8.1

Discus and support Recovery Partition that I did not have with 8.1 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I didn't know where else to post this weird one. Did the first Win 10 image on a desktop and noticed a Recovery Partition. On one of two desktops.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ken1943, Sep 18, 2015.

1. ken1943 Win User

Recovery Partition that I did not have with 8.1

I didn't know where else to post this weird one. Did the first Win 10 image on a desktop and noticed a Recovery Partition. On one of two desktops.
    Both desktops were installed with Windows 7 Pro oem updated to 8.0/8.1/10 which means it never had a Recovery partition to begin with. It is only 450 mb

It has a WindowsRE folder with boot.sdi + ReAgent.xml + Winre.wim files. I can't read the xml file unless I do some fancy footwork. lol

The only difference between the two is that this one has the 100mb partition and the other doesn't.

Any ideas ? If I delete it, I am afraid I my have to do a clean install for a reason I can't see.

Thanks

:)

ken1943, Sep 18, 2015

2. Windows 10 recovery partition

I recently bought a Toshiba computer which came with windows 8.1. The hard drive contained a win. 8.1 recovery partition, and I also created a usb recovery drive.

Then I did the upgrade to win.10 and once installed I created a usb recovery drive. At the very end of this procedure I got the message: "completed. Everything on the recovery partition on your hard drive has been copied to the usb drive."

What I need to know is what partition is it referring to? If a recovery partition was created during the upgrade to Win.10 then I can assume that the Win. 10 recovery partition was copied to the usb recovery drive, but if not, then all I did was create another
    Win. 8.1 usb recovery drive. If this is the case then I have two usb Win. 8.1 recovery drives, both of which are worthless for diagnosing, repairing or reinstalling Win.10. So, in effect, I have no way to fix my Win.10 if it goes down.

This is a sad situation, and it makes me wonder why I upgraded in the first place.

So, what to do? Keep Win.10 with no recovery partitions or usb recovery drives to protect me, or go back to Win. 8.1 where I am protected with the recovery partition and USB recovery drive?

Is there anyone else out there who is dealing with this situation, and if so what are you doing about it?

Let me know.

Tiffany

TiffanyLathrop, Sep 18, 2015
  3. upgrade to Win 10 but Too Many Recovery Partitions from Win 8.1

ok i have a question

when i upgraded to Win 8.1 from Win 8 the upgrade added a new 350mb Recovery Partition to my hard drive

then i had trouble and had to restore my pc back to factory original (my pc is a HP pc) this took me back to Win 8 but did not remove the new 350mb Recovery Partition that i got with the first upgrade to Win 8.1

so now after the restore back to factory original i install Win 8.1 again and Win 8.1 add's a new 350mb Recovery Partition so now i have 2 350mb Recovery Partitions and 1 351.8mb Windows RE tools

Windows Defrag see these partitions as Local Disk (\\?\VOLUME and can not defragment them

now i found someone that had restored his computer the same way i did and had 13 350mb Recovery Partitions

Too Many Recovery Partitions

Need Help - Too Many Recovery Partitions

now for my question

what happens to all the people like me that has had this happen to there computers and have a lot of added 350mb Recovery Partitions when thay upgrade to Windows 10

thanks

Recovery Partition that I did not have with 8.1 :)

James

lurkingatu2, Sep 18, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

It would help if you post the screen shot of disk management for each PC. Also screen shot of the result by opening the Admin command prompt and run: reagentc /info then we can go from there.

topgundcp, Sep 18, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, you can delete the recovery partition and expand the system partition into the empty space. A Windows 10 recovery or install drive or disk will do the same function for you.

NavyLCDR, Sep 18, 2015
  6. WhyMe Win User
    What is the purpose of that 100mb recovery partition please? (I'd really like to know)

WhyMe, Sep 18, 2015
  7. topgundcp Win User
    Carried over from Windows 7.
    First, it holds the Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database. Second, it reserves space for the startup files required by the BitLocker Drive Encryption feature. If you ever decide to encrypt your system drive using BitLocker, you won’t have to repartition your system drive to make it possible.

For Windows 7/8/10, MBR only:
    If you install Windows without formatting the drive, leave it unallocated then Windows will create the reserved partition. If you format the drive first then Windows will put thw WinRe tool in C drive and not creating the reserved partition. Of course you won't have the bitlocker feature available.

topgundcp, Sep 18, 2015
  8. ken1943 Win User

Nice explanation. I had the two built for me. Got tired of building myself !!

Thank You

ken1943, Sep 18, 2015
  9. ken1943 Win User
    Why Me don't break into a thread. Make your own.

ken1943, Sep 18, 2015
  10. ken1943 Win User
    topgungcp please reply to me again, thread got screwed up

ken1943, Sep 18, 2015
  11. topgundcp Win User
    As said above, the first PC, Windows 7 was installed with the drive pre-formatted so Windows installation put the Recovery Tool in C Drive as seen in the result of Reagentc /info. Winre.wim is in partition 1, which is your C drive.

Second PC. Windows was installed without first formatted the drive as explained in post #6 above.

If you delete those partitions then you won't be able to get into the Recovery Environment from Windows. You must use either the Windows Installation disk or the Recovery disk that you created. Personally I would not delete them because they are there for a reason otherwise MS won't create them.

NOTE: The Recovery environment in your 2nd PC was broken so it was disabled.

topgundcp, Sep 18, 2015
  12. ken1943 Win User
    OK, got it. I image my drives so don't care about recovery. The extra partitions just confuse me.

ken1943, Sep 18, 2015
  13. WhyMe Win User

Apologies. It seemed relevant to the topic since you were asking whether the partition was needed. I thought it relevant that you should know the purpose of the recovery partition. I would not have posted here if I thought it did not add to the topic

Apologies again

WhyMe, Sep 18, 2015
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    On this system:

Recovery Partition that I did not have with 8.1 [​IMG]

If it were me, I would delete the 450mb recovery partition on Disk 1 and expand the C: drive partition into the free space. On a system where vanilla Windows has created the Recovery partition and not the manufacturer of the computer, everything that can be done with that recovery partition can also be done with a Windows Restore Disk, an image disk, or the Windows installation disk. Since I have at least 2 out of those 3 disks available to me (and it sounds like you do to), I have no need to keep the recovery partition. Windows puts that recovery partition there so a user who does not have the resource disks available to them can reinstall Windows (hopefully). If I need to, I can just boot from my Windows installation drive and get the exact same functions.

NavyLCDR, Sep 19, 2015
  15. XweAponX Win User
    His explanation may be why you ended up with that, makes sense.

XweAponX, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Recovery Partition that I did not have with 8.1 - Similar Threads - Recovery Partition did

2. I have turned off device encryption and I have the recovery key but 1 partition is gone for...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have turned off device encryption and I have the recovery key but 1 partition is gone for...: I have turned off device encryption and I have the recovery key but 1 partition is gone for lock and doesn't accept the recovery key while remaining partitions are not locked and working fine?note: this partition in external disk drive and it has data only not OS...
  3. I have turned off device encryption and I have the recovery key but 1 partition is gone for...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have turned off device encryption and I have the recovery key but 1 partition is gone for...: I have turned off device encryption and I have the recovery key but 1 partition is gone for lock and doesn't accept the recovery key while remaining partitions are not locked and working fine?note: this partition in external disk drive and it has data only not OS...
  4. I have turned off device encryption and I have the recovery key but 1 partition is gone for...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. 2 Recovery Partitions: OK to Delete 1?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 Recovery Partitions: OK to Delete 1?: I cloned my 1TB HDD onto a new 2 TB SSD, and now I have a Recovery Partition on each drive and ~900 of Unallocated space on the SSD separated from the letter drive by 1 of the recovery partitions. Can I delete the SSD Recovery Partition in order to extend the new drive into...
  6. 2 Recovery Partitions: OK to Delete 1?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2 Recovery Partitions: OK to Delete 1?: I cloned my 1TB HDD onto a new 2 TB SSD, and now I have a Recovery Partition on each drive and ~900 of Unallocated space on the SSD separated from the letter drive by 1 of the recovery partitions. Can I delete the SSD Recovery Partition in order to extend the new drive into...
  7. 2 Recovery Partitions: OK to Delete 1?

8. Did I delete the Windows Recovery Partition?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Did I delete the Windows Recovery Partition?: Hello and thanks for taking a look at my issue. Attached please see my partitions. Thanks! p.s. I was hoping to reset my install to factory settings and I don't have a recovery CD but I do have my manufacturer's drivers on a CD. [img] 159457
  9. I have multiple Recovery Partitions?

I have multiple Recovery Partitions?: I have noticed that my Windows 10 Pro has two Recovery Partitions, one of 450MB, the first partition, and another of 840MB as the last partition on my C: drive. I was just wondering why this might be? I include a screen shot from Disk Management below. Please ignore the...
  10. Is my Recovery partition Win 8 or Win 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is my Recovery partition Win 8 or Win 10?: I am doing some OS maintenance on friends Surface Pro 2 currently running Win 10 Pro x64. One of the things I want to do is implement a backup process using Macrium Reflect. The HDD has a Recovery partition on it of around 6GB (full) but I don't know whether it's current...