Windows 10: recovery partition/USB on new hard drive, Keeping OS on old hard drive, re-installing...

Discus and support recovery partition/USB on new hard drive, Keeping OS on old hard drive, re-installing... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; If a wish to clone my HDD to my SSD to make it the boot drive, and then remove the HDD from the PC, can I include the recovery partition in the cloning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by OYRC, Jan 8, 2019.

1. OYRC Win User

recovery partition/USB on new hard drive, Keeping OS on old hard drive, re-installing...

1. If a wish to clone my HDD to my SSD to make it the boot drive, and then remove the HDD from the PC, can I include the recovery partition in the cloning process? Is it something specific to the hard drive it's on, and wouldn't work on a different hard drive?
    2. LIkewise, can a recovery USB made from the OS booting from the HDD be used for all its recovery related operations on the new SSD as well, or is it specific to the HDD?
    3. After the cloning process is complete and the OS is booting up from the SSD without problem, could I leave the OS on my HDD and use it as a sort of 'back up' OS, in that if there were ever any probelm with the SSD, I could just remove it and re-install the HDD and boot from it? If relevant, the windows 10 licence is OEM.
    4. I have read that it is no longer possible to reinstall Windows 10 from the recovery USB drive. If so, how would a person go about reinstalling Windows 10 on their PC when required? Is there any option other than the media creation tool?

Thanks

:)

OYRC, Jan 8, 2019

2. Can I use recovery drive to reinstall Windows 10 on new hard drive?

Hi,

I created USB recovery drive from old HDD then I deleted partition old HDD and I purchased new hard drive then I removed old hard drive then install new hard drive in my computer.

Can I use USB recovery drive to reinstall Windows 10 on new hard drive in computer?

Rose Family, Jan 8, 2019
  3. Msap14 Win User
    Hard Drive Data Recovery

got a laptop pata hard drive that makes a slight constant clicking noise. hard drive is more than likely dead/dying right... i can see that partitions of the hard drive in disk management and i can see the partitions in my computer but i can't get to any of the data.

any suggestions?

Msap14, Jan 8, 2019
  4. Kursah Win User

recovery partition/USB on new hard drive, Keeping OS on old hard drive, re-installing...

Hard drive partitioning

I partition during a windows install...granted I only format the OS partition during that setup, format the other partition(s) after OS install. Works fine fore me, XP and Vista installs both have worked fine for years doing this, otherwise, Partition Magic does the trick.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, Jan 8, 2019
Thema:

1. recovery partition/USB on new hard drive, Keeping OS on old hard drive, re-installing... - Similar Threads - recovery partition USB

2. Repair a malfunctioning hard drive with new hard drive with new OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repair a malfunctioning hard drive with new hard drive with new OS: Say if I had a hard drive that had issues booting OS. Specifically not booting windows or being detected as installed and command prompt remedies were of no help.So instead I decide to do it my way by getting a new hard drive, unplugging the old non-booting one, and plugging...
  3. Repair a malfunctioning hard drive with new hard drive with new OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repair a malfunctioning hard drive with new hard drive with new OS: Say if I had a hard drive that had issues booting OS. Specifically not booting windows or being detected as installed and command prompt remedies were of no help.So instead I decide to do it my way by getting a new hard drive, unplugging the old non-booting one, and plugging...
  4. Re-Partition Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Re-Partition Hard Drive?: Hello, since I first bought my new HP Pavilion it came set up with 118GB for the C drive and 931GB for the D drive. All of the software I install quickly takes up space in my C drive so I am constantly having to delete things to make room. I have a lot of software needed for...
  5. Replacing an old internal hard drive with corrupt os , with a new sata hard drive with pre...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing an old internal hard drive with corrupt os , with a new sata hard drive with pre...: Hi , so my old pc's hard drive had a corrupted os and is stuck in automatic repair loop , tried every single fix but i couldn't repair it , so infact my hard drive is over could be a virus that got in it or my pc being unplugged incorrectly because it froze and the mouse is...
  6. Advice re: new hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Advice re: new hard drive: I bought a new Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB drive a few weeks ago in an attempt to fix a problem PC. I may have to scrap the machine (as still cant be fixed) and i wanted to ask are these viable options for my new £765 drive. 1. buy a machine with an HHD and add my SSD drive as a...
  7. Advice re: new hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Advice re: new hard drive: I bought a new Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB drive a few weeks ago in an attempt to fix a problem PC. I may have to scrap the machine (as still cant be fixed) and i wanted to ask are these viable options for my new £765 drive. 1. buy a machine with an HHD and add my SSD drive as a...
  8. installing old hard drive in new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    installing old hard drive in new computer: I have an old hard dive from a laptop that was driven over in traffic. I bought a hard drive less exact replacement computer. I put the old drive in and it all works but now have an unlicensed copy of windows 10 pro....
  9. New hard drive OS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New hard drive OS: I just installed a new hard drive that supposedly has Windows 10 Pro already activated on it. When I turn the computer on I get a message saying it is not bootable and to insert an OS CD. If I install new Windows 10 drivers, should the preloaded Windows work, or will I need...
  10. Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive: I have a boot hard drive failing. I wanted to re-install my Windows 10 and accounts software back on to a new disk. I want to know how I can back up what is on the failing disk so that I can re-install it on the new disk. The guidance in windows 10 is woeful and it has failed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. recover old partition after new partition is installed