Windows 10: Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition

Discus and support Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I built a WIN 10 (home version) desktop a few months back with a single SSD as its C Drive. It all works fine. Today I went to clone that drive using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by poolmon, Mar 27, 2019.

1. poolmon Win User

Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition

I built a WIN 10 (home version) desktop a few months back with a single SSD as its C Drive. It all works fine. Today I went to clone that drive using Samsung Data Migration.

Disk Management shows that my originating SSD has both a healthy, primary bootable (main) partition plus a 471mb healthy Recovery partition on that C drive. There is no System Reserved partition.

The cloned recipient SSD did not include the Recovery partition.That cloned drive obviously has no System Reserved partition since the source drive does not. The cloning went well but I have not yet tested the clone. Before I do I had two questions.

1. Why didn't the Recovery partition get cloned?
    2. Why is there no 500mb System Reserved partition (on either) which I thought WIN 10 needed to operate?

:)

poolmon, Mar 27, 2019
  2. DeniseJM Win User

Recovery Partitions/System Reserved Partitions

I have Windows 10 Home Version 1803 installed in my pc.

Windows is installed on Disk 5. Disk 5 contains my C drive and D partition that I created after Windows was installed. It also contains a partition named System Reserved which Windows created when I installed Windows and a partition named Recovery Partition,
    which Windows also created when I installed Windows. It was a brand new hard drive, never before used, when I installed Windows on it. Windows won't allow me to delete either of these partitions/merge them with my C or D partitions. I don't understand why
    I have both a Recovery partition and a System Reserved partition. Isn't the Recovery partition something that Windows 7 used to create? I never had Windows 7.

Also, on my S drive which Windows labelled Disk 4, there is also a 468Mb Recovery partition that Windows created. I don't understand why Windows created this partition on this hard drive. It has no system files on it. Windows didn't create a Recovery
    partition on any of my other hard drive. All of my hard drives are WD Caviar Black, 1T and 2T.

I know that Windows 10 Home needs a System Reserved partition but can someone explain the reason for all these other partitions? They're so small in size that I'm not concerned about the room they're taking up on the hard drives but I especially am interested
    in the reason Windows created a Recovery partition on my S drive. I tried to merge the partitions but Windows wouldn't do it. I then tried EaseUS Partition Manager and it couldn't merge the partitions either.

Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition 4e755b21-a39d-4d2a-b329-7e1c4173efac?upload=true.png

DeniseJM, Mar 27, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Recovery Partitions/System Reserved Partitions

Hi Denise

The System Reserved partition contains the boot configuration fro Windows and should not be touched - you will brick your system if you remove that

The recovery partition to the right of your C Drive contains the Windows 10 Recovery Image that you would need should you ever need to repair or Reset Windows 10

If you right click the Recovery Partition on Disk 4, what options do you get?

DaveM121, Mar 27, 2019
  4. Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition

If Recovery partition the same as System Reserved?

My former installation of Windows 7 had system reserved on a secondary hard drive (I created this partition).

I have now upgraded to Windows 10.

I notice that on the main drive (C) there is a partition named (Healthy) Recovery Partition.

Is this a new term for System Reserved?

What I'd like to know is does the old System Reserved relate only to Windows 7 and can it be safely deleted.

JamesBogie, Mar 27, 2019
Thema:

Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition

1. Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition - Similar Threads - Recovery Partition System

2. System reserved partition only 50 mb and no recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System reserved partition only 50 mb and no recovery partition?: I did a fresh install of windows 10 2004. The when I viewed my partitioning system using EaseUs Partition Master, it only showed me system reserved partition50 mb, then another driveletter: E, then C drive, then the rest of the unallocated space in the that same order. Then I...
  3. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  4. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  5. System Reserved Partition

System Reserved Partition: Hello, I did some storage upgrade on my system by adding an M.2 NVME 1TB SSD drive and cloned my old drive that has windows 10 operating system. I now have two systems reserved partition on both the old and newly installed drive. The system reserved section limits my...
  6. Recovery and EFI partition instead of System Reserved partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery and EFI partition instead of System Reserved partition: I forced reinstalled my windows 10 after my boot got corrupted by deleting linux on dual boot. Now I used diskpart to wipe my SSD before I began installation. When the Win10 installation is finished. I noticed that I have Recovery and EFI Partitions on Disk management. I'm...
  7. Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition: I built a WIN 10 (home version) desktop a few months back with a single SSD as its C Drive. It all works fine. Today I went to clone that drive using Samsung Data Migration. Disk Management shows that my originating SSD has both a healthy, primary bootable (main) partition...
  8. Recovery Partitions/System Reserved Partitions

Recovery Partitions/System Reserved Partitions: I have Windows 10 Home Version 1803 installed in my pc. Windows is installed on Disk 5. Disk 5 contains my C drive and D partition that I created after Windows was installed. It also contains a partition named System Reserved which Windows created when I installed Windows...
  9. New Build - Two SSDs - System Reserved vs Recovery Partition

New Build - Two SSDs - System Reserved vs Recovery Partition: Setting up new build with two SSDs. 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO m.2 is supposed to be for OS and programs. 1TB Crucial is supposed to be for file storage. After noticing the System Reserved on the 1TB drive, I disconnected the SSD and installed Windows with only the 500 GB...
  10. No system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No system reserved partition: Installed a Samsung SSD on my Asus CM6730-06 desktop running Win7. the Win7 OS was cloned from the Asus Pc to Samsung SSD. Windows 7 runs great off the SSD. Got a Windows 10 upgrade notice and received an automatic download of Win10 but when it tries to install I get the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows reserve partition is also the recovery partition