Windows 10: Recovery problems after HDD replacement.

Discus and support Recovery problems after HDD replacement. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello there! My PC is HP Pavilion Laptop (cc-102tx) with Windows 10 Home Edition. I had replaced my old HDD with a new one (both 1TB) as old one was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Viren Ramchandani, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Recovery problems after HDD replacement.

Hello there!

My PC is HP Pavilion Laptop (cc-102tx) with Windows 10 Home Edition.

I had replaced my old HDD with a new one (both 1TB) as old one was having some noise issue. Before replacement I had created recovery media of my OS in a bootable pen drive. Soon, after the replacement of the HDD, I plugged in the USB drive and the recovery initialisation started without any issue. But as soon as it reached the Software Installation page, it gave me an error message stating 'Restoration Incomplete'. I retried the whole process a few times but in all tries it stopped at more or less the same step. Later, in the 10th try, it went to install the software and the Windows Desktop and normal appearance was there during the process. But as soon as the task was all complete, it again gave me the same error. This time I switched off my PC, and removed the USB pen drive; Then booted using the HDD and configured the new Windows. But now when I ran the command "sfc /scannow" to ensure that everything is right in place, the process completed with the comment that "some repairs couldn't been made". Please suggest me the next step so as to ensure proper function of my recovered OS in future.

:)

Viren Ramchandani, Nov 24, 2018
  2. hanunyafa Win User

How to use recovery drive with replacement hdd

I need to replace the hdd on my laptop (windows 8/10) and so made a recovery drive on usb. After I fitted the new hdd I booted from the usb but was not able to proceed because there was no expected partition on the new disk. When I have done the same thing
    with other PSc (using manufacturer's recovery disks) I have been prompted to create partitions. What can I do?

hanunyafa, Nov 24, 2018
  3. Installing a new HDD to replace a HDD of the same size that failed.

I have a Windows 10 OS installed on my C: drive. I had data stored on an HDD designated as D: drive. That second drive failed and was replaced by a new HDD. Both are the same size and type of drives, except different manufactures. The new HDD is not
    listed in File Explorer. It is listed in Computer Management under Device Manager as a Disk drive. Disk Management under Storage does not list the new HDD.

I have tested the new HDD with software downloaded from the manufacture and it has passed all tests. At least that software was able to access the new drive and perform low level tests to see if it is operational.

Looking at the events log for this HDD, I find an event warning that says "Device ... was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match." Opening up the properties indicates drivers have been installed. Reading the volume information results in: "Volume
    information for this disk cannot be found"

I suspect that the problem with the volume information is associated with the warning in the event log. I removed the HDD, restarted the PC then shut it down to start the installation process over again. No change in the event log or status of the new
    HDD. Can anyone suggest how I can get past that warning?

RonTognazzini, Nov 24, 2018
  4. Kem Mon Win User

Recovery problems after HDD replacement.

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Nov 24, 2018
Thema:

Recovery problems after HDD replacement.

1. Recovery problems after HDD replacement. - Similar Threads - Recovery problems HDD

2. Replacing HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing HDD: I have a HP s5-1114 with Windows 10 Home that was upgraded from Windows 8.1 via the free upgrade. It is attached to my account. My HDD has died and I've ordered a new one. How do I get my SW key to reinstall the OS? I recall seeing it was digitally saved to my account, but...
  3. Replacing HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing HDD: I have a HP s5-1114 with Windows 10 Home that was upgraded from Windows 8.1 via the free upgrade. It is attached to my account. My HDD has died and I've ordered a new one. How do I get my SW key to reinstall the OS? I recall seeing it was digitally saved to my account, but...
  4. Replacing HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Win 10 Activation after HDD replacement.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 Activation after HDD replacement.: I recently replaced a failed HDD and bad ram in a refurbished laptop.After re-installing windows it refused to activate.It is a multi-user machine that was never, to my knowledge, registered to a Microsoft Account.I do not have a copy of the windows key.I DO have the CoA...
  6. No media present after replacing HDD with SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No media present after replacing HDD with SSD: Hello! By default, I had 1 HDD. Then I bought a M.2 SSD and put my OS there — my laptop has a slot for inserting the M.2 SSD. So now I have C: in the SSD, and D: in the HDD.After a while, my HDD started to slow down, so I decided to buy an SSD to replace it. I removed the...
  7. laptop feels slower after hdd replacement

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    laptop feels slower after hdd replacement: the ssd I was using failed and had corrupt windows files so I got a hdd and replaced it. The hdd is SATA-III 6/Gbs 500 gb any reason why it would be a little slower?...
  8. Replace HDD with SSD Problems?

Replace HDD with SSD Problems?: Hello, community, I bought an SSD today and wanted to replace my old HDD with this one. I have successfully cloned the content of the HDD onto the SSD and now I wanted to put it into operation. But if I select the SSD in the boot menu as boot device, the screen stays black...
  9. windows 10 reinstall after HDD replaced

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 reinstall after HDD replaced: Hello The HDD in my laptop has failed and I want to replace it. How do I get my current version of Win 10 up and running on it? make a windows start up disc ? - I have taken note of my win 10 key, once a new OS is installed can I just activate it with the same key...
  10. Update and Restore after HDD replacement.

Update and Restore after HDD replacement.: I have just replaced my old HDD with new one(both being 1TB) and reinstalled Windows 10 using the recovery drive created from the laptop earlier. Now I have two queries as follows: i.) My Windows 10 version which is reinstalled is version 1703 (OS Build 15063.413) instead...