Windows 10: Recovery USB

Discus and support Recovery USB in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, Can I use a Recovery USB drive created on a different machine? Both target & source are Win 10 x64 Pro. Thank you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by csoros, Nov 23, 2020.

1. csoros Win User

Recovery USB

Hello,

Can I use a Recovery USB drive created on a different machine?

Both target & source are Win 10 x64 Pro.

Thank you

:)

csoros, Nov 23, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

USB Recovery

Hi Janie,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please reply to the following questions to get a better understanding on the issue:

• Are you getting any error message?
    • How are you creating the recovery USB?

However, you can follow the steps from Create a recovery drive
    to create a recovery drive.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Nikhar_K, Nov 23, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Windows 10 recovery USB - which size???

Not even that. What creating a recovery drive does (if you select 'include system files') is to construct the files required to clean install Windows. If this is made on an OEM install these file will include the OEM custom apps and drivers - effectively a 'factory reset' drive. It is extracting an install image from your existing system files that takes the time.

The steps in making a recovery drive are shown in this tutorial...

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 | Tutorials

• first you choose whether or not to include system files (step 5 in tutorial)
    • next the recovery drive files are constructed (this can take a long time if you include system files)
    • only after that is complete will you be asked which usb to use (step 6 in tutorial). At this point you will be told how large a usb you need.

Without system files 512 Mb is sufficient. Including system files it will be just over 4GB.

At which step did you get the error? If you were not asked which usb to use then it was the construction of the system files that failed, nothing to do with what usb you had.

4. wags1 Win User

Recovery USB

How to reformat USB Recovery Drive

Thanks again for helping. Yes, I've found and tried those instructions prior to posting. Nothing seems to work. It is ridiculous that Windows basically trashes a perfectly good USB stick when it creates a recovery disk. Their should be a way to clear it off so you can use it again but I guess not. Probably going to just give up and toss it....they are cheap enough these days.

wags1, Nov 23, 2020
Thema:

Recovery USB

1. Recovery USB - Similar Threads - Recovery USB

2. Create a Recovery Drive does not recognize my USB flash drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create a Recovery Drive does not recognize my USB flash drive.: Create a recovery drive does not recognize my USB flash drive. The flash drive appears in file explorer and is formatted and is 64GB. I have tried several drives and get the same problem....
  3. Create a Recovery Drive does not recognize my USB flash drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create a Recovery Drive does not recognize my USB flash drive.: Create a recovery drive does not recognize my USB flash drive. The flash drive appears in file explorer and is formatted and is 64GB. I have tried several drives and get the same problem....
  4. have corrupted w10 install, recovery usb demands install code, where is it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    have corrupted w10 install, recovery usb demands install code, where is it?: Have four w10 machines. One laptop went white screen of death. Created a usb recovery drive. wants proof of purchase code. **** where do I find it? Have the cute little proof of purchase stickers from the OLD win 7 machines, my NT original discs, my disc with original windows...
  5. have corrupted w10 install, recovery usb demands install code, where is it?

have corrupted w10 install, recovery usb demands install code, where is it?: Have four w10 machines. One laptop went white screen of death. Created a usb recovery drive. wants proof of purchase code. **** where do I find it? Have the cute little proof of purchase stickers from the OLD win 7 machines, my NT original discs, my disc with original windows...
  6. have corrupted w10 install, recovery usb demands install code, where is it?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. No Internet, secured error during Windows installation from recovery USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Internet, secured error during Windows installation from recovery USB: I'm installing Windows 11 using a recovery USB drive. During the install, Windows is attempting to access the internet for updates. I get the error 'No Internet, secured' message. The PC is apparently connected to my router but no internet access. It is connected to the...
  8. No Internet, secured error during Windows installation from recovery USB

No Internet, secured error during Windows installation from recovery USB: I'm installing Windows 11 using a recovery USB drive. During the install, Windows is attempting to access the internet for updates. I get the error 'No Internet, secured' message. The PC is apparently connected to my router but no internet access. It is connected to the...
  9. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?: I am using Windows 10.What is the difference in these two?I already have the complete image of C drive and system and boot partitions.In case of system failure, unable to boot, can I use that system image from the USB HDD to repair the installation or to reinstall the...
  10. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?: I am using Windows 10.What is the difference in these two?I already have the complete image of C drive and system and boot partitions.In case of system failure, unable to boot, can I use that system image from the USB HDD to repair the installation or to reinstall the...