Windows 10: Recreate ASUS F9 recovery functional partition

Discus and support Recreate ASUS F9 recovery functional partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; As many did, I upgraded my ASUS G751JY from Windows 8.x to Windows 10, and this destroyed ASUS F9 built-in recovery feature. When I press F9 now it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hexaae, May 24, 2016.

1. hexaae Win User

Recreate ASUS F9 recovery functional partition

As many did, I upgraded my ASUS G751JY from Windows 8.x to Windows 10, and this destroyed ASUS F9 built-in recovery feature. When I press F9 now it will give me a BSOD with:

Your PC needs to be repaired
    A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.
    Error code: 0xc0000225
    [ A text saying I should use recovery tools on my installation media to fix the issue. ]
    Press Enter to try again
    Press F8 for Start-up Settings
    Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings

This happens every time I want to use F9, then every time I have also to repair Windows boot (have no problem, I know how to do this and regenerate a correct BCD), so my idea now is to recreate a generic Windows 10 install partition working with ASUS F9 feature.

Here is my current situation:

Recreate ASUS F9 recovery functional partition [​IMG]

but Recovery partition was Disabled.
    No problem. I've managed to re-Enable it using the REAgentC command:

Code: C:\Users\Luca\Desktop>reagentc /info Informazioni di configurazione per Ambiente ripristino Windows e la reimpostazione del sistema: Stato Ambiente ripristino Windows: Enabled Percorso Ambiente ripristino Windows: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE Identificatore dati di configurazione di avvio (BCD): fc0612d5-20ce-11e6-8adf-9bc77791b978 Percorso immagine di ripristino: Indice immagine di ripristino: 0 Percorso immagine personalizzata: Indice immagine personalizzata: 0 REAGENTC.EXE: operazione riuscita.[/quote] ASUS F9 still not working giving me BSOD Erorr 225.

Following some guides on the net I've been also able to create a generic "install.wim" starting from MediaCreationTool's Windows 10 ISO file and "<mounted Windows 10 iso>:\sources\install.esd", using the DISM command:
    dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:"MY_ESD_FILE" /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:install.wim /compress:recovery /CheckIntegrity

How do I proceed now?
    • Add a new additional 4GB recovery partition with GUID ID: DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC
    • copy "install.wim" into this partition (requires a specific dir structure or the root will be enough?)
    • use "REAgentC /setosimage ..." and target to the new partition with the wim file

Is this correct? Will this make ASUS F9 work again? *sarc

:)

hexaae, May 24, 2016

2. "Something went wrong" while trying to create account during installation

Try resetting the laptop to factory state then try again.

New computers that come preinstalled with Windows often have what is called a recovery partition. This is used to reinstall the operating system in the event of a system crash. To access it, you will need to boot into when you start your computer by pressing
    a function key. This can be either F1, F2, F9, F10, F11, F12 or even DEL or Tab key. Consult the owners manual that came with your PC for instructions about how to reinstall Windows.

This is how the recovery partition is accessed for the most popular makes..

For Asus, press F9 as soon as you see the Asus logo.

Andre Da Costa, May 24, 2016
  3. Windows 10 installation loop on new laptop

Power down the laptop by holding down the power button.

Start it then boot into the recovery environment, then follow the instructions to perform a factory reset.

New computers that come preinstalled with Windows often have what is called a recovery partition. This is used to reinstall the operating system in the event of a system crash. To access it, you will need to boot into when you start your computer by pressing
    a function key. This can be either F1, F2, F9, F10, F11, F12 or even DEL or Tab key. Consult the owners manual that came with your PC for instructions about how to reinstall Windows.

This is how the recovery partition is accessed for the most popular makes..

For Asus, press F9 as soon as you see the Asus logo.

Andre Da Costa, May 24, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

correct - as far as the OS Image Recovery
    Not sure about F9

as you would have to regenerate the bootkey

5. hexaae Win User
    So I don't need a specific directory structure for the install.wim file?
    Can I put this in the new additional 4GB recovery partition and just use the usual:
    Reagentc /setosimage /path <driveletter>:\<folder-containing-osimage> /index 1 /target C:\Windows ?

hexaae, May 24, 2016
  6. Kyhi Win User
    You can use the E: drive
    copy the install.wim into a RecoveryImage folder
    then point to it...

or you can shrink E: and create a RecoveryImage partition...

the install wim has to be in a folder - not on the root of the partition...

ONE MAJOR NOTE...
    If you reset the PC your Data partition E: will be removed... So very important that if you reset - you MUST select keep current partitions...

that is the problem with having your DATA on the same Drive as the windows OS

7. hexaae Win User
    Yes, my idea was to keep the current 470MB Recovery partition and add the install.wim I created from Windows 10 ISO ESD file into a new partition after E: (I'll label this R: ). Something like R:\Recovery_Win10\install.wim

Thank you for the "keep current partitions" hint

hexaae, May 24, 2016
  8. Kyhi Win User

You are way better off - not using the Recovery Option at all > with your current disk/partition layout....

If windows ever went bad - just run the windows 10 setup.exe - from within the current windows 10 OS
    To repair windows and keep your files and programs..

Known as a Repair Install...

9. hexaae Win User
    Everything properly set:
    DISKPART> detail partition

Partizione 6
    Tipo : de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
    Nascosta : Sì
    Richiesta: Sì
    Attributo : 0X8000000000000001
    Offset in byte: 955899707392

Volume ### Let. Etichetta Fs Tipo Dim. Stato Info
    --------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
    * Volume 3 Recovery NTFS Partizione 4095 Mb Integro Nascosto

C:\WINDOWS\system32>reAgentC /info
    Informazioni di configurazione per Ambiente ripristino Windows
    e la reimpostazione del sistema:

Stato Ambiente ripristino Windows: Enabled
    Percorso Ambiente ripristino Windows: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE
    Identificatore dati di configurazione di avvio (BCD): 6ca57f00-2280-11e6-be75-d0a88fc569a8
    Percorso immagine di ripristino: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition6\Recovery_Windows10
    Indice immagine di ripristino: 1
    Percorso immagine personalizzata:
    Indice immagine personalizzata: 0

REAGENTC.EXE: operazione riuscita.

...but unfortunately ASUS F9 still doesn't work as expected (here is a working video from YT) and returns the usual BSOD Error 225 mentioned in first msg *Sad
    Mmmh... I start to think F9 simply works by booting from the first Recovery partition it can find, usually put after C: on ASUS G751JY laptops as shown in this example pic coming from an online review:

Probably it expects to find something more than the install.wim file there as it asks for winload.efi pressing F8 after BSOD is displayed:

EDIT: maybe I could try copying the entire Windows 10 ISO inside the first recovery partition and see what happens pressing F9...

hexaae, May 24, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    The factory recovery partition more than likely contained an executable file that F9 ran which would then control the restoration. That's why most people when they talk about leaving the factory recovery in place after an upgrade to Windows 10 are likely to be disappointed to discover they can't really use the recovery partition left behind because, more than likely, manufacturer software is going to be required to actually do a recovery from it.

I think the only way you will get F9 functionality back would be to restore the original factory recovery partition.

NavyLCDR, May 24, 2016
  11. hexaae Win User
    Let's see if I can find another G751JY user with working F9 so we can discover what's inside the 12GB recovery partition from ASUS...
    Honestly I can't remember if I manually deleted the original partition or was wiped out by Windows 8.1 -> 10 upgrade (more likely).

hexaae, May 24, 2016
  12. I Recently got a Asus Desktop with F9 recovery, unforuately was too in a hurry to get it setup with 10, to make backup copy of original config lol, my fault I know, soon doing clean install of 10, so think gonna wipe out the partition then, I got a copy of 8.1 Core on another flash drive, Original system key in uefi saved, plus Windows 10 USB drive, and system repair Disk made as well. So think i'll be ok if something ever goes wrong.

AMDMan2016, May 24, 2016
  13. hexaae Win User

Well, it's never a problem to repair Windows boot or wipe out everything and reinstall a clean image...
    For example I use Macrium Boot Disc that has a handy "Fix Windows boot problems" and quickly fixes BCD to re-enable Windows 10 boot... or you can use an official ISO downloaded with MediaCreationTool if you need...
    The problem though is loosing F9 functionality, which was useful after all, but Windows 10 upgrade didn't like that, I'm afraid *Wink

hexaae, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Recreate ASUS F9 recovery functional partition - Similar Threads - Recreate ASUS recovery

2. Cloning System Partition, Recreating EFI & Recovery partitions......

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning System Partition, Recreating EFI & Recovery partitions......: This guide is intended for educational purposes only.A fresh and clean installation is always the best thing to do, because in addition to a bug-free Windows experience, everything outside the Windows environment like the EFI partition, Recovery partition, and overall system...
  3. Cloning System Partition, Recreating EFI & Recovery partitions......

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning System Partition, Recreating EFI & Recovery partitions......: This guide is intended for educational purposes only.A fresh and clean installation is always the best thing to do, because in addition to a bug-free Windows experience, everything outside the Windows environment like the EFI partition, Recovery partition, and overall system...
  4. I need to recreate my recovery partition.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I need to recreate my recovery partition.: I am trying to recreate my recovery partition after deleting it using Disk Part because I wanted to free up some space, but when I try to create a recovery drive it says that I am missing some files. I do not know many other ways to create a recovery partition for windows 10...
  5. How to recreate the Windows recovery partition.

in Windows 10 Support
    How to recreate the Windows recovery partition.: While playing with Macrorit Partition Expert, I inadvertently deleted the Windows recovery partition. [img] It is possible to recreate/recover the partition without having to do the following? 1) Clean Install Windows 10 2) Repair Install 3) Refresh Windows 10 4) Reset...
  6. Deleted W10 recovery partition - hwo to recreate?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted W10 recovery partition - hwo to recreate?: Hi all Was trying to clean up an external drive in gparted from my debian OS (dual boot) that would not be read in W10. I got my sd ids mixed up and accidentally deleted the W10 Recovery partition. Any way of recreating it in the now spare space ats the end of the drive to...
  7. Restore Fn+F9 functionality

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restore Fn+F9 functionality: Lately I've been having issues while typing, where the palm of my hand is doing things with the mousepad. It used to be that I coudl hit Fn+F9 and it would disable the mousepad, but that no longer works. How can I get it to work again? I want to be able to toggle the mouspad...
  8. FN+F9 does not disable ASUS touchpad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    FN+F9 does not disable ASUS touchpad: Hi, I'm looking for a solution to fix the function combination to disable/enable the touchpad for my ASUS laptop (fn+f9). Here is a list of troubleshooting that I have already conducted myself: Downloaded ASUS Smart Gesture. Browsed to "Program Files (x86) /Asus Smart...
  9. Unable to use ASUS recovery partition, f9 is not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to use ASUS recovery partition, f9 is not working: Hi, i have recently upgraded my ASUS F555LP to windows 10, but the update gave me problems, so i decided to restore the laptop to "out of the box" conditions. When i try to press f9 to restore it, it show me a recovery enviroment that is not of the asus but it seems of...
  10. Moving / recreating EFI partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving / recreating EFI partition: I recently upgraded my laptop with an SSD, moving my older HDD into the optical drive bay. I then installed Windows 10 from a UEFI USB (using the Windows 10 media creation tool), on my SSD (with the HDD also installed). But the problem is the EFI partition is still on my HDD,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. update windows 10 f9 key after moving recovery partition

2. how to create an asus partition with windows esd

3. asus f555lp recovery disk

4. access recovery asus laptop f9,
  5. guid asus f9