Windows 10: Recreate Thumbnail for a Single File

Discus and support Recreate Thumbnail for a Single File in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Any way to recreate a Windows Explorer thumbnail for a single file? I have thousands upon thousands of images so deleting the thumbnail cache is not a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/HarryMuscle, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Recreate Thumbnail for a Single File

Any way to recreate a Windows Explorer thumbnail for a single file? I have thousands upon thousands of images so deleting the thumbnail cache is not a solution for me. I just need to recreate a single thumbnail that for some reason didn't get created correctly. I'm open to any suggestions (as long as the file name stays the same) or third party apps?

submitted by /u/HarryMuscle
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/HarryMuscle, Jan 18, 2021
  2. Dgo47 Win User

File Explorer not showing thumbnails

Brink,

Many thanks for you reply. I have done all the steps you suggested, but no change,

When I open a folder containing photos, some open correctly but the vast majority open with thumbnails, but they very quickly get overwritten and you can not longer see the thumbnails.

Are there any more suggestions?

Dgo47, Jan 18, 2021
  3. jsmin Win User
    Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Jan 18, 2021
  4. Recreate Thumbnail for a Single File

Windows 10 Picture Files not updating thumbnails

Hi,

I realize that the picture files are not updating thumbnails. I will try to help you with this issue.

Suggest you to perform “Disk Cleanup”, cleaning up the temporary internet files, thumbnail, cookies and temp files, so as to check the thumbnail view of the photo is updated by cleaning up your temporary data.

Further, if the issue persists then you can also follow these steps:

• Right click in the Folder that contains the images.

• Select View.

• Note the current icon size, and change it to another size (ie: "Medium-Icons" to "Large-Icons", then back to "Medium-Icons").

• This causes the icons to be resized and their cache updated.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Jan 18, 2021
Thema:

Recreate Thumbnail for a Single File

1. Recreate Thumbnail for a Single File - Similar Threads - Recreate Thumbnail Single

2. Custom File Thumbnails or Preview for Files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom File Thumbnails or Preview for Files?: Hi all,I was wondering if there was any way to enable file previews for PDFs or add custom thumbnails as I have a lot of PDFs and it's impossible to differentiate them without looking at the file names themselves. File names are useful obviously, but it'd be incredibly easier...
  3. Custom File Thumbnails or Preview for Files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Custom File Thumbnails or Preview for Files?: Hi all,I was wondering if there was any way to enable file previews for PDFs or add custom thumbnails as I have a lot of PDFs and it's impossible to differentiate them without looking at the file names themselves. File names are useful obviously, but it'd be incredibly easier...
  4. How to change a single thumbnail size only, not all of them?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change a single thumbnail size only, not all of them?: I know about holding CTRL and using the mouse wheel, but that changes all of them. I’m trying to create a very important new to do list and want the icon to be a bit larger than the others near it (in this example, on desktop). Google searches don’t provide much, except...
  5. Is it possible to recreate an old hard drive from a .vhd file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to recreate an old hard drive from a .vhd file?: I'm trying to recreate the state my Win7 hard drive was in before I removed it from my old and scrapped 2011 HP desktop and converted it into a USB drive and began scavenging and deleting files from it.I've been transferring my old hard drive in its current state onto a...
  6. Thumbnails for .pdf files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Thumbnails for .pdf files: On Windows 10, latest updates installed, how can I show thumbnails of .pdf file in Explorer instead of the generic pdf icon, as it happens with .jpg files?Regardsmarius...
  7. Display File Thumbnails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Display File Thumbnails: Would someone tell me the simplest way to display thumbnails for video files on my computer, please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-file-thumbnails/fd268c77-a087-43d3-b60b-e846d8253dd6"
  8. File extensions in thumbnails

in Windows 10 Customization
    File extensions in thumbnails: How do I view Windows 10 file extensions in thumbnails? Like in video thumbnail it should also show a small “mp4”. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-extensions-in-thumbnails/60c16d23-78a2-4f20-8d0b-919f35e4679e
  9. recreate home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    recreate home network: Few months ago I changed my router/modem to sagemcom thereby losing my home network since the router IP address is now different. I'm in windows 10 pro. The internet and wireless printer work. How can I find the IP addresses of my TV, receiver & streamer? I think an...
  10. Thumbnails for M4a files?

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails for M4a files?: Hi guys Should windows 10 (by default) be displaying thumbnails within explorer for m4a files? I'm browsing my iTunes media folder and I can see thumbnails only for .mp4, .mp3, .m4p but not for m4a. If I play an m4a file within media player or iTunes I can see the album...