Windows 10: Recurring BSOD, even after professional computer repair

Discus and support Recurring BSOD, even after professional computer repair in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, before I post my problem I would like to mention that I am a senior without any computer knowledge. Could I please ask you to bear this in mind... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by oddbilly, Oct 6, 2019.

1. oddbilly Win User

Recurring BSOD, even after professional computer repair

Hi, before I post my problem I would like to mention that I am a senior without any computer knowledge. Could I please ask you to bear this in mind when you post your reply please? I need step-by-step instructions in plain language - otherwise, I'm lost! Thanks.

A few months ago I updated my laptop to Windows 10 Version 1903. Not long after the update my laptop would freeze at random times and a blue screen would appear (I understand this is known as the 'Blue Screen Of Death' or BSOD). The laptop would then restart itself.

Also, I knew that my laptop was 'full' and had a tendency to run slowly, so I took it to my local repair shop.

They found that I had used close to 1TB of space on the laptop, and I had never made a back-up. Therefore, the first thing they did was to make a complete back-up onto a 2TB external hard drive. They then removed the 1TB hard drive from the laptop and replaced it with a brand new 2TB.

Within a day or so of getting the laptop back, the BSOD appeared again, so I took it back to the repair shop.

They then did a 'clean install' where they removed all previous versions of Windows and then reinstalled W10 V1903 from scratch. When I collected the laptop and logged on for the first time, it was like a brand new machine.

I then set about reinstalling the bare minimum of items as I did not want to find myself in the same situation of having used up all the new free space. I also installed update KB4524147 following a Windows alert.

I copied a folder full of GoPro videos from the External Hard Drive and started to edit them using an Video Editor that I had installed. Everything seemed to be working fine and I saved my work and logged out.

A few hours later, I returned to the laptop, but when I tried to 'wake' the laptop there was no response - just a black screen - although the indicator lights were on. I switched the laptop off, then on. At first, it seemed OK, but soon the BSOD was back again!

Can anyone please tell my why this BSOD is STILL happening? Is there anything I can do to stop this happening again (bearing in mind my lack of any computer knowledge!) Failing that, is there anything my computer repair shop can do?

Just a few details to finish, the repair shop tells me that this laptop is certainly worth saving (i.e. not too old). Also, it is used mainly for video editing, photos, emails and text documents. I never download movies or games and I do have Norton installed.

Can anyone help please? Happy to give additional information which may help to resolve. Thank you.

:)

oddbilly, Oct 6, 2019
  2. drade Win User

Hourly rate for general computer repair?

It depends on the location really. Professionals around my area do about 60, myself When I use to do computer repair for my buddies I charged 25$. It all depends on your location and the need for computer repair.

drade, Oct 6, 2019
  3. axe0 Win User
    Windows 10 Recurring Crashes

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the 10forums.

As this is not a BSOD problem, this is not the right part of the forum.
    There are a few suggestions I would give you, NO garantee it will help!

Daemon tools, Alcohol 120% and Power Archiver Pro uses SCSI Pass Through Direct (SPTD), which is a well known cause for BSOD's.
    Please remove Daemon Tools and run the SPTD pass through remover.

1. Uninstall Daemon Tools
    2. Download the SPTD standalone installer and follow these steps:
      • Double click the executable to open it
      • Click on the button shown below

Recurring BSOD, even after professional computer repair [​IMG]

If the button is grayed out, like in the image, there is no more SPTD installation on your system, and you can close the window

Recurring BSOD, even after professional computer repair [​IMG]
    Warning Programs that claim to update your drivers install either the wrong or corrupted drivers.
    If you have installed any driver with AVG Driver Updater, please remove them as it may cause trouble.

axe0, Oct 6, 2019
  4. zbook Win User

Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Oct 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Recurring BSOD, even after professional computer repair - Similar Threads - Recurring BSOD professional

2. Recurring BSOD's

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recurring BSOD's: I have an alienware M17 and i have been facing recurring BSOD's. I have tried reinstalling windows multiple times, dell customer support told me it's not a hardware issue and they were not able to help me. every time i reinstall windows the problem is fixed for a few days,...
  3. recurring BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recurring BSOD: I keep getting a BSOD when running Plex and streaming from my mounted google drive. here is the mini dump info.. is the googledrive for desktop app causing this issue?******************************************************************************** ** Bugcheck Analysis **...
  4. recurring BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    recurring BSOD: I keep getting a BSOD when running Plex and streaming from my mounted google drive. here is the mini dump info.. is the googledrive for desktop app causing this issue?******************************************************************************** ** Bugcheck Analysis **...
  5. Recurring BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recurring BSOD: Hello,I've recently been encountering a common BSOD that has been rather annoying. It occurs fairly regularly, usually once or twice a day.The error it gives is PFN_LIST_CORRUPTSome random information I've seemed to gather:When unplugging ang plugging in USB devices, it will...
  6. Recurring BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recurring BSOD: Hello,I've recently been encountering a common BSOD that has been rather annoying. It occurs fairly regularly, usually once or twice a day.The error it gives is PFN_LIST_CORRUPTSome random information I've seemed to gather:When unplugging ang plugging in USB devices, it will...
  7. Recurring BSOD

8. Recurring BSODs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recurring BSODs: Not sure if posting in the right subreddit - please advise best place to ask this if not. Now, I've recently changed the motherboard and OS drive of my system, and that meant doing a fresh install of Windows. After the install, I've been getting various BSODs. Examples...
  9. Recurring BSODs, even after reset.

Recurring BSODs, even after reset.: I have been getting multiple BSODs on my computer, during normal use. The errors show mostly CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED or UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION. I then did tests on my RAM, HDD, ran SFC, DISM and reinstalled drivers. I still got them after that, so I got fed up and did a...
  10. Recurring BSOD

Recurring BSOD: Hello :) I have recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my PC as i wanted to start fresh. Everything seem'd fine at first but playing games & have sites open seem to cause BSOD or make my computer freeze entirely. I have not had this problem before and have since turned off fast...