Windows 10: Recurring stuttering when streaming movies + artifacts

Discus and support Recurring stuttering when streaming movies + artifacts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Whenever I stream a movie from for instance Netflix or similar services, on any browser (Chrome, Edge, Firefox), there is this recurring stuttering... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by steffeeh, Dec 9, 2018.

1. steffeeh Win User

Recurring stuttering when streaming movies + artifacts

Whenever I stream a movie from for instance Netflix or similar services, on any browser (Chrome, Edge, Firefox), there is this recurring stuttering every 1-1.5 second or so.
    Even the mouse pointer stutters with the stream if I move it around on another screen. On Netflix this mouse stutter happens as soon as I've entered the site, without launching any movie.
    This issue does not happen when streaming YouTube or Twitch, etc.
    Toggling hardware acceleration on/off does not help.

This has been the case for months by now, and reinstalling Windows or updating graphics drivers haven't helped.
    I currently have a wireless adapter in my PC, but I've disabled it in Device Manager due to audio issues that it caused and are using an ethernet cable instead.

When buffering the stream, before the movie starts, I also see white artifact lines within the stream regardless of what movie it is.
    Before I reinstalled Windows, rental movies within iTunes would first give me these white artifact lines, and then the entire PC would freeze - thankfully that part is now gone.

SYSTEM INFORMATION:
    - OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (version 1803, build 17134.407)
    - GPU: Asus GTX 970 Strix w/ driver 417.22
    - Mobo: Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3801
    - CPU: Intel i7 5820k
    - RAM: 16 GB DDR4

:)

steffeeh, Dec 9, 2018

2. Why can't i stream free movies now?

Hi Mandy,

Sorry for the delay in response

• Did you use any website to stream movies?
    • What happens when you try to stream movies?

Provide us more details about the stream that you are referring to assist you better.

Ravinath P, Dec 9, 2018
  3. Wifi Video Streaming Performance for mp4

I just got my WP7 (Sprint Arrive). I was experimenting with wifi video streaming performance on mp4. It almost handles 512kbps without stuttering. You can go to archive.org to see a 512kbps video (use wifi). I consider 800kbps to be the minimum for
    a reasonable quality experience. It looks amazing when it is streaming but I get significant stuttering. It works on Android with maybe 1 or 2 stutters per 2 hour movie.

Here is my setup:

Movies are stored on my Netgear ReadyNAS server. I enabled the webserver and WebDAV.

I converted movies to mp4 format using basic codec. They are in video streaming format which means movie info is at beginning of movie. I use MS Expression Encoder or DVD Catalyst to do conversion. Android will only support the basic codec so I have not
    tried the other codecs. I use 800kbps and 720xXXX.

I tried having the phone right near the router so I don't have a signal issue.

My netbook using VLC streams fine so it is not the server stuttering.

I enter the NAS address in IE (192.168.0.180/movies/mp4) and list appears. I click on a movie and it starts streaming within a few seconds.

It will play for 10-30seconds and stutter for 5 or seconds. It is different with different movies.

It appears to me that maybe the phone starts doing other tasks and movie playing gets interrupted.

I tried the ISS server that comes with Windows 7 and I get the same result.

Questions:

Is there a recommended process to make this work?

What is the best codec to use?

It is not critical to get this to work but it would be nice. The movies look awesome with no stuttering.

mogulman52, Dec 9, 2018
  4. Recurring stuttering when streaming movies + artifacts

Can't download the movie I purchased for rental.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to download rented movies offline and check if that helps.

Steps:

1. Select the movie you want to rent and click on
      rent option
    2. Login using Microsoft account.
    3. Once you have signed in, you will have two option
      to stream
      or download movies to this device to watch offline.
    4. Select download movies to this device to watch offline and click on next.
    5. After Choosing the Next option and you will be asked for the payment option.
    6. Once the payment it done, open Movies & TV application to download the movie.

You will be able to watch the movie offline from
    Movies and TV application. When you rent, the viewing period is 14 days from the time of your order or 24-48 hours from the time you start to watch (depending on the content you select), whichever comes first.

If you still facing issues downloading the movies after following the above steps. I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below, to fix issues with Microsoft store.

Steps:

1. Open store application on your pc.
      2. Click on the ellipses on right top corner of the screen.
      3. Logout and login back.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Dec 9, 2018
Thema:

Recurring stuttering when streaming movies + artifacts

1. Recurring stuttering when streaming movies + artifacts - Similar Threads - Recurring stuttering streaming

2. I rented a movie from microsoft in HD, but the movie will not stream in HD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I rented a movie from microsoft in HD, but the movie will not stream in HD.: The problem isn't my internet.I'd like to refund the rental but it doesn't seem possible.I'd like to know if I can either play it in HD or refund it. I can't download the movie either....
  3. Streaming from PC stutters

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Streaming from PC stutters: I use "Media Streaming" option to play movies from pc on my TV but when video has higher quality like 4k, video playback stutters. What could be the issue ? submitted by /u/PursuingAmerica [link] [comments]...
  4. Streaming video stuttering

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Streaming video stuttering: Hi, I have a frustrating problem with my PC for two months. It’s Windosws 10 Home edition.It’s all started after one Windows update. I don’t know exactly which one because I didn’t at first associate it with that. So I first tried to remove all recant updates, but that didn’t...
  5. Windows Movie & TV stutter at beginning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Movie & TV stutter at beginning: I have Windows 10 2004 and recently i have noticed Movie & TV app having a stutter at the very beginning when ever starting MP4. But the same clip works flawlessly in Windows Media Player. Tried resetting the Movie & TV app but didn't work....
  6. When downloading the Movies & TV App Stutters!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When downloading the Movies & TV App Stutters!!: Hi, I just took notice of this right now. Whenever I am downloading something big like a game update of the sort I noticed that this app is starting to stutter. The moment I stop the download the stuttering stops. I checked on a different media player and it plays perfectly...
  7. Stuttering problem with Movies & TV app

Stuttering problem with Movies & TV app: My Dell computer came with the Movies & TV app as the default video player. In the 2 years I've had the PC I've had no problems with it and I really like it as a player. But starting about 2 months ago or so certain videos played with the app have a very bad stuttering...
  8. Video/audio streaming stutter issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Video/audio streaming stutter issue: Windows 10 1809. Hewlett-Packard AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD 8400 R3 Series Graphics 2..00GHz. RAM 4.00 GB 64-bit Operating System, x64 based processor. I have been experiencing video/audio streaming stuttering and noises on Netflix, Prime and YouTube in Chrome,...
  9. Video and movie streaming not working

Video and movie streaming not working: HP Pavilion stop streaming videos and movies. It was working find about 1am today, now I can't stream through my school cohorts and lessons, youtube is not working and Hulu is not playing. Need help working this out....
  10. Recurring graphical artifacts on taskbar

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Recurring graphical artifacts on taskbar: Recently I've been having an issue with some small graphical artifacts on my taskbar. They appear in the exact same place each time. I don't think it's an issue with my GPU, considering they show up on screenshots (see attachments). This problem only started after I had to...