Windows 10: Recursively take ownership of an entire folder tree and files?

Discus and support Recursively take ownership of an entire folder tree and files? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a hard drive which someone used to store files for rooting and modding their Android phone. I want to delete that whole folder tree and its... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Galane, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Galane Win User

Recursively take ownership of an entire folder tree and files?

I have a hard drive which someone used to store files for rooting and modding their Android phone. I want to delete that whole folder tree and its contents but it's proving to be stubborn, wanting permission from the user on the other computer.

I have a Take Ownership mod installed in Win 10 x64 and it runs through the whole tree but always fails on a bunch. But if I go to those files and Take Ownership individually it always works. I've taken over and deleted over 8,000 files out of there and am left with not quite 700 to go.

I've tried in Explorer and Agent Ransack to search for *.* to show all the files but the Take Ownership thing is only available in the context menu if 15 or fewer items are selected, but doing that it will only take over 0 to maybe 5 at a time. Dunno why it fails on any of them working recursively when it will work on any of them individually.

Is there a Take Ownership modification that will automatically go to each and every file and folder beneath the top folder its used on, and take ownership of them all?

- - - Updated - - -

Got rid of it all. Turns out that good old Unlocker 1.9.2 was able to do the job. Took it a while to plow through everything but got 'er done.

:)

Galane, Apr 11, 2020

2. how to display entire tree in windows 10 file explorer folder pane WHEN THERE IS NO NUMBER KEYPAD

Hi Ali,

The navigation pane in File Explorer may not be set to show all folders and libraries that's why it doesn't show the entire tree when you expand it. It also possible that some files, folder, and drives may also be hidden that's why you're unable to see it
    when you expand a specific folder. To address this issue, please follow these steps:

1. Open File Explorer.
    2. Click View from the Main Menu.
    3. Click Options > Change folder and search options.
    4. Click the View tab, then under Advanced settings list, tick or check the following items:
      • Files and Folders > Hidden files and folders
        • Show hidden files, folders, or drives.
      • Navigation pane
        • Expand to open folder
        • Show all folders
        • Show libraries
    5. Click Apply, then OK.
    6. Close and relaunch the File Explorer and see if the entire folder pane tree will show when you expand it.

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the performing the steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Apr 11, 2020
  3. ownership

To take ownership of a file or folder

Open File Explorer, and then locate the file or folder you want to take ownership of.

Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click Other users and groups and, in Enter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.

To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the Change owner to box, click the new owner.

(Optional) To change the owner of all subcontainers and objects within the tree, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 11, 2020
  4. g_777 Win User

Window Explorer for Windows 10 view entire file tree

The answer given to this question did NOT help in any way whatsoever.

The original poster wanted to know how to view the ENTIRE file tree in ONE view (pane), not with a separate navigation pane on the left and the individual files in a separate pane on the right.

I've checked absolutely every possible option under the View menus in Windows 10 and do not see any way at all that I can view a simple file tree of SINGLE FILES being visible DIRECTLY UNDER the folder in which they reside.

I want to see this:

FOLDER

-file

-file

instead, all I'm seeing is this:

FOLDER (in the right pane)

or:

-file

-file

I need to see BOTH the FOLDER and each file that's in it listed DIRECTLY UNDER THE FOLDER IN ONE PANE. The split view between two panes is terrible.

Why was Windows 10 File Explorer designed like this? It's an organizational nightmare, and impossible to visualize which individual files are under each folder.

PLEASE ADVISE ASAP BEFORE I SWITCH BACK TO MAC.

g_777, Apr 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Recursively take ownership of an entire folder tree and files? - Similar Threads - Recursively ownership entire

2. Unable to Take Ownership of Folder/Files, No Security Tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Take Ownership of Folder/Files, No Security Tab: HiI have a recent issue with some files in one folder on an external hard drive.The files in question are PDFs that are resources downloaded as part on an online course. They were downloaded, opened in Adobe Reader, and then saved into an existing folder on the hard drive. I...
  3. Unable to Take Ownership of Folder/Files, No Security Tab

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Take Ownership of Folder/Files, No Security Tab: HiI have a recent issue with some files in one folder on an external hard drive.The files in question are PDFs that are resources downloaded as part on an online course. They were downloaded, opened in Adobe Reader, and then saved into an existing folder on the hard drive. I...
  4. Can't recursively take control of folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't recursively take control of folder: Inside C:\Program Files\WindowsApps I got some folders I really wanna get rid off. For example, one for a Bubble Witch 3 saga, and one for Candy Crush. I'm pretty sure I uninstalled these apps long ago, but somehow they are still hanging around. I'm the owner of all the files...
  5. cannot take ownership of folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot take ownership of folders: I get permission errors when I try to open some folders in Windows 10 desktop. I try to take ownership as described in How to take ownership of a Folder. I am the administrator. I'm the only user. When I do I get the following errors. an error occurred applying security...
  6. Recursively take ownership of an entire folder tree and files?

in Windows 10 Support
    Recursively take ownership of an entire folder tree and files?: I have a hard drive which someone used to store files for rooting and modding their Android phone. I want to delete that whole folder tree and its contents but it's proving to be stubborn, wanting permission from the user on the other computer. I have a Take Ownership mod...
  7. Taking ownership of a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taking ownership of a file: Some time ago a had file that required only one click to take ownership of another file. I would just right click on the file I was interested in and select "take ownership." It would then make a change in the registry and give me addess to that file. Does anyone here know...
  8. Take Ownership folders and files

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Take Ownership folders and files: Since I got the update for Windows 10 for 1809 version I need to take ownership for many folders and files I want to use. I could some help for this. I know there used to be some software that would do this for you. Does anyone know what software that would be and where to...
  9. Take Ownership folders and files

in Windows 10 Support
    Take Ownership folders and files: Since I got the update for Windows 10 for 1809 version I need to take ownership for many folders and files I want to use. I could some help for this. I know there used to be some software that would do this for you. Does anyone know what software that would be and where to...
  10. Unable to take ownership of a folder.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to take ownership of a folder.: Hi guys, I am unable to take ownership of a folder with my account which is the only administrator account in my PC. [img] This is the issue that pops up. I took ownership with the above account as shown below. [img] [img] I have even applied the changes to all...