Windows 10: Recycle bin corrupted? Can't empty it

Discus and support Recycle bin corrupted? Can't empty it in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a 8TB external HDD, After organizing (adding, deleting renaming, replacing... deleting more) I notice it started to slow down quite a lot.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ViMR21, Sep 26, 2018.

1. ViMR21 Win User

Recycle bin corrupted? Can't empty it

I have a 8TB external HDD,

After organizing (adding, deleting renaming, replacing... deleting more)

I notice it started to slow down quite a lot. Specially when deleting

So I try to empty the recycle bin, but it is NOT getting populated. I wait overnight on Empty the RB command. and still didn't get the "Are you sure you want to delete..." prompt the next day, though the status bar still shows as working on it. (a green progress bar background over the address bar on the file explorer - recycle bin folder)

After some research I try the std. command prompt (as admin) line== rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

No reaction, Also tried Disk Cleanup - it went as far as the "Scanning: Recycle Bin". then it stopped

The Check the Drive for System Erros, came clean (did it twice...)

Again, with over 4TB of data on this HDD, I do not want to copy all elsewhere and format the drive.

Is there anything I can do?

:)

ViMR21, Sep 26, 2018
  2. Jan Del Win User

recycle bin

Hi George,

To prevent your files from being deleted from the Recycle Bin, we suggest increasing the maximum file size your Recycle Bin can keep by following the steps below:

• Right click on the Recycle Bin icon.
    • Under the Settings for selected location, select Custom size.
    • Fill up the box for your allotted maximum file size for your Recycle Bin.
    Let us know if you need further assistance.

Jan Del, Sep 26, 2018
  3. Corrupted recycle bin

When I turn on the computer each day, I get a message "The Recycle Bin on G:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this Drive\?" Drive G is where I have my Passport external drive for backup. Any suggestions on how to address and resolve this? Thanks.

davidlaw69, Sep 26, 2018
  4. Cwedin Win User

Recycle Bin

Hi, Scout-86.

Bare with me. I'm only a student in Information Technology. I believe the recycle bin might be corrupted, causing it to vanish from the desktop completely.

Try one of these two fixes and see if helps.

Solution 1:

• Step 1: Select Start -> Settings -> Personalization -> Themes -> Desktop icon settings.
    • Step 2: Make sure the checkbox for Recycle Bin is checked, then select OK. You should see the icon displayed on your desktop.

Solution 2:

• Step 1 Run Command Prompt as an administrator.
    • Step 2 Type the command rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin and press enter.
    • Step 3 Type exit to close the Command Prompt window

I hope this helps!

(This comes from https://www.easeus.com/resource/cannot-find-or-open-recycle-bin.html)

Cwedin, Sep 26, 2018
Thema:

1. Recycle bin corrupted? Can't empty it - Similar Threads - Recycle bin corrupted

2. The Recycle Bin on E:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Recycle Bin on E:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?: Hi, I have Windows 10 and recently installed a new SSD to get more space. It is working fine normally, but every time after a Windows update or after my laptop restarted itself, it gives the message "The Recycle Bin on E:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin...
  3. Emptied recycle bin

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Emptied recycle bin: Hello,I tried speaking to online help but was proptly ignored. My files were all moved to the recycle bin thinking they were still on my hard drive and not just on OneDrive, and then the recycle bin was emptied yesterday. Obviously having seen what happened, and the mistake...
  4. Can't empty Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't empty Recycle Bin: The problem: I can't empty or delete files from my recycle bin. It's been like this for a while now and I neglected the issue for so long that my recycle bin has accumulated a whopping 1,400,000 + files by now....... Opening the bin works, but it takes hours 2 to 3-ish for...
  5. Empty Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Empty Recycle Bin: I have recently had a new Hard Drive installe. Having re-installed my software and apps I have a list of 42 files in recycle bin that will not delete https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/empty-recycle/6bacd00c-4699-478a-9de7-45cab25e6dd3
  6. recycle bin empty

recycle bin empty: I am running win 10 and my recycle bin is always empty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-empty/d2651903-ae9d-4ed2-806a-e2a3adb4d751
  7. empty of recycle bin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    empty of recycle bin: hi everyone I tried to empty my recycle bin , but I couldn't recycle bin icon is off when I try to click it can you help me ��������...
  8. Recycle bin not emptying

Recycle bin not emptying: Hi I have had my new laptop with windows 10 for 2 weeks. When I go in and empty the recycle bin not all the items are deleted. When I right click on the items and hit delete they still don't delete. Please help. Howelm...
  9. Recycle bin will not empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Recycle bin will not empty: I used a file synchronizer to get rid of a bunch of images and the program sent all the small files to the recycle bin. Anyway, there must be a thousand small file in my recycle bin that will not empty. The "empty recycle bin" begins the process by listing all the files, but...
  10. Empty Recycle Bin?

in Windows 10 Support
    Empty Recycle Bin?: Hi, New here . Lots of questions, but for now....How do I empty the recycle bin. I found how to access "Recycle Bin" on desktop but when I click on it a long list comes up and I have to delete each one individually and even that does not remove them. Where is the old reliable...