Windows 10: Recycle Bin - Deleting an item returning 'Folder Access Denied'

Discus and support Recycle Bin - Deleting an item returning 'Folder Access Denied' in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I am trying to delete a file from one of my user's PC's and I keep getting the below message returned: [img] I have referenced this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AJWtechit, Jun 26, 2017.

1. AJWtechit Win User

Recycle Bin - Deleting an item returning 'Folder Access Denied'

Hi,

I am trying to delete a file from one of my user's PC's and I keep getting the below message returned:

Recycle Bin - Deleting an item returning 'Folder Access Denied' [​IMG]

I have referenced this thread already -> Recycle Bin Corrupted - Cannot Delete File or Folder

Method 1 returns no results - when I actually navigate to c:\$recycle.bin it shows as empty, and there are no other drives I cannot locate the file in (show hidden files is selected)
    Method 2 - I cannot see the hidden $recycle.bin folder in the C drive with hidden files ticked on.

What I have tried:
    - I have tried running the recycle bin as an administrator
    - Tried running cmd as admin to clear the recycle bin
    - Tried running CCleaner to clear the recycle bin
    - Tried restoring the file in question (won't restore)

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thankyou!

:)

AJWtechit, Jun 26, 2017

2. How to recover deleted email from the deleted items folder.

Hi,

I presume the deleted email from the deleted items folder goes to the Recycle bin. Can the deleted email be recovered from the Recycle bin?

ChandrasekarapuramRSubramaniam, Jun 26, 2017
  3. Witt43 Win User
    Recycle Bin recovery

Without using a third party software that claims it can recover deleted Recycle Bin items (and Microsoft recommends against using such software), items you delete from the Recycle Bin are
    not recoverable. SO, do NOT empty your Recycle Bin unless you are absolutely certain you no longer need access to the files in it.

Witt43, Jun 26, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @AJWtechit

That folder is very old, it says it dates from 2012, probably was a left-over from a previous system.

Ownership may be the problem, the owner account most probably doesn't exist now. Try restoring it, take ownership, then try deleting it again. edit: on re-reading your post, I see you can't restore it *Sad

5. Bree New Member
    $RECYCLE.BIN is not just Hidden, it's also a System file. Make sure you remembered to....

6. AJWtechit Win User
    Hi Bree - Thanks for the reply,

Unchecked hide protected operating system files allowed me to view and delete the recycle bin from the C drive,

However when windows restored the recycle bin it again had the folder/file straight back in there - very strange!

AJWtechit, Jun 26, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    How did you delete it? With rmdir /q /s C:\$recycle.bin ?

Do you have any other partitions/drives? You need to delete all $recycle.bin folders not just C:

8. AJWtechit Win User

Hi,

Yes I have tried the rmdir /q /s C:\$recycle.bin, run with elevated command,

Below are the partitions as per the disk management:

Recycle Bin - Deleting an item returning 'Folder Access Denied' [​IMG]

I'm right in saying the only place it is possible to delete is on the C drive?

AJWtechit, Jun 26, 2017
  9. AJWtechit Win User
    You were pretty much there Bree! The user in question was part of an active directory,

The user's profile on the server was not set to have full control of the directory in which the recycle bin could not be deleted, look as though the files were left over from a previous system/system upgrade,

Thanks

AJWtechit, Jul 17, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Ah, an AD domain, that would explain it. *Smile

Glad to have helped point you to the answer. Thanks for coming back with an update, you could mark the thread 'Solved' now.

Thema:

1. Recycle Bin - Deleting an item returning 'Folder Access Denied' - Similar Threads - Recycle Bin Deleting

2. Recycle bin corrupted, access denied, etc etc.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recycle bin corrupted, access denied, etc etc.: All I'm trying to do is fix the massive folder on a solid state drive external containing all the pictures and videos from my childhood, and I run into problem after problem. "The Recycle Bin on D:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?"I click...
  3. Deleted folder to recycle bin and emptied bin?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted folder to recycle bin and emptied bin?: Hi. I had 2 important pic files from MY PICTURES that got in the recycle bin. I deleted/emptied the files in recycle bin before I knew my pic file was in there.Is there a secondary way to get the files back from recycle bin? I tried to do a restore time on computer, but it...
  4. Deleted folder to recycle bin and emptied bin?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted folder to recycle bin and emptied bin?: Hi. I had 2 important pic files from MY PICTURES that got in the recycle bin. I deleted/emptied the files in recycle bin before I knew my pic file was in there.Is there a secondary way to get the files back from recycle bin? I tried to do a restore time on computer, but it...
  5. Delete network folders into the recycle bin?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delete network folders into the recycle bin?: As a user, is there a setting that I can change so that A happens (see below) instead of B? A. When I delete a file or folder on a shared network drive, the file or folder is sent to my recycle bin. If it cannot be sent to the recycle bin, the delete fails or an additional...
  6. Cant delete a folder on the recycle bin

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Cant delete a folder on the recycle bin: Recently i've had problems with my PC, after loggin in theres only a black screen and the cursor, task manager works fine and all the non-microsoft store programs, even trying to open ms-settings: doesnt work, i followed the steps from this thread but that didnt fix the...
  7. Deleted items not in recycle bin

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted items not in recycle bin: It's been years since I checked my recycle bin, I've never had reason to do so, but yesterday I was editing the name of a file as I have done so many times before and during the process *POOF* the file disappeared! I have no idea what happened. I looked in the recycle bin but...
  8. not every deleted item in recycle bin?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    not every deleted item in recycle bin?: I accidentally deleted five vids from the video folder and only three came up when i tried to restore them. where did the other two videos go? submitted by /u/LookItzNate [link] [comments]...
  9. Deleted Items Not Showing In Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleted Items Not Showing In Recycle Bin: On the desktop there is the recycle bin. The following has just started to happen. Before when I deleted something, the recycle bin showed that there was something in the bin. Now when I delete something the recycle bin does NOT show that there is something in the bin. I...
  10. Can't delete item in recycle bin.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete item in recycle bin.: What is this? How to fix? Long green progress bar that never finishes in explorer. [img] 21150