Windows 10: Recycle Bin in recovery partition filling

Discus and support Recycle Bin in recovery partition filling in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hey , I don't think the Recovery Drive is suppose to have a Drive Letter. When you used AOMEI to resize it gave it one and along with that the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by agent99, Jan 6, 2018.

1. agent99 Win User

Recycle Bin in recovery partition filling

I think you may have something there! Will see what happens.

agent99, Jan 7, 2018
  2. topgundcp Win User

Your Windows 10 was upgraded from Windows 7. That's why the System Reserved partition is 100 MB, not enough space to store the Recovery Environment (WinRE.wim) so during upgrade, Windows 10 created an extra Recovery partition. However, you did modify this partition as a regular partition and increased the size to 1.41 GB. Each regular partition that you create will have a $RECYCLE.BIN.
    Here's how to change the partition to be a Recovery partition:
    Open Admin command and type:
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    select partition 3
    set id=27
    exit

This will make partition 3 (D: Drive) to be a true Recovery partition. The final result will not have a drive letter.

topgundcp, Jan 7, 2018
  3. Bree New Member
    Beat me to it, that's what I was just about to say *Smile

Best to remove the D: drive letter first. On a MBR drive the recovery partition is ID 27h. It is actually a normal ntfs format, only the ID marks it out as being different. A normal ntfs partition is ID 07h.

a UEFI drive doesn't use partition IDs, it uses Partition type GUIDs instead, so no one should try these diskpart command on them!

4. agent99 Win User

I could try that.

But what concerns me, is that files were being saved in that partition's REcycle Bin BEFORE I changed the partition size. I changed it BECAUSE of the Notification warning me partition was getting full.

So did Windows Recovery give it a drive letter?

Anyway, I created a System Restore Point and went ahead. Removed drive letter first. Then used the cmds. I would like to report the results, but on restart we have yet another never ending "Getting Windows Ready" loop *Sad No idea what it is doing. Another update? *Sad

agent99, Jan 7, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    It must have got switched to a normal partition by something you did earlier.

As I explained earlier nothing is actually being saved to the $RECYCLE.BIN folder on your recovery drive, it's a illusion caused by Recycle Bin showing you everything that was deleted on every drive. A deleted file only physically exists in the hidden $RECYCLE.BIN folder on the drive where it was deleted from.

6. zbook New Member
    If you have mini tool partition already installed please post an image into the thread. Expand the rows so the contents can be seen.

zbook, Jan 7, 2018
  7. agent99 Win User
    I don't have it installed. Just AOMEI -as posted earlier. What more would it show?

agent99, Jan 7, 2018
  8. zbook New Member

zbook, Jan 7, 2018
  9. agent99 Win User
    Is it possible that there can only be one Recovery partition?

In retrospect, I should have probably downloaded a W10 iso. But I was not sure if it would accept the key that I extracted using Magic Jellybea. I did buy the laptop new. I think just before Win7 was released, so it had Vista. Then a few weeks later they sent me the Win7 upgrade disk. Then I went to Win10 during the free upgrade period. So who knows if the Key is still good. But it should be.

As it is, this laptop has been through the wars (I twice used a blow-torch on it to reflow the GPU! And Must have dislodged the wifi aerial, so it now uses external usb wifi ) It's a stopgap until I buy a new machine for my wife. But I would like it to have a good working W10 so we can do a seamless move to a new unit and keep her connected until then. Her Vista laptop besides no longer being supported developed a jumping screen! Works on external monitor, but we will be travelling soon.

agent99, Jan 7, 2018
  10. agent99 Win User
    I was hoping to post back positive result, but Window still says it is Getting Ready??? About 1 hr now!

agent99, Jan 7, 2018
  11. topgundcp Win User
    FYI. A Recovery partition should not have a drive letter and should not have $RECYCLE.BIN. Your booting problem has nothing to do with the Recovery partition and as a matter of fact, you could delete this partition and Windows still boot except you can't boot into the Recovery Environment.

A normal Windows 10 installation version 1709 would have: 550MB System Reserved and C drive. The System Reserved will contain the Bootmgr and the Recovery Environment altogether.

topgundcp, Jan 7, 2018
  12. agent99 Win User
    The booting problem was quite another thing and on the original Win10 installation. Hanging at the first window logo seems like nquite a common problem reading the forums. Various suggested fixes, but none worked for me. Maybe it was the bootmgr. But anyway, that ship has sailed. No boot problems with re-install.

I do understand what you are saying about the recycle bin. What I do not understand, is if the one in the Recovery partition only contains virtual files, then why did the size of the folder keep increasing whenever something was deleted?

agent99, Jan 7, 2018
  13. zbook New Member

For mini tool the folder size is often not displayed. Opening the folder and viewing the files typically displays the size of each file. Then you can add the size of the files to see the size of the folder.
    What do you see for the files when you use Aomei

zbook, Jan 7, 2018
  14. agent99 Win User
    Post #8

agent99, Jan 7, 2018
  15. Bree New Member
    When you upgraded Win7 to Win10 a digital licence for your PC was stored on Microsoft's activation servers. You can do a clean install of the same edition (Home or Pro) from a Win10 ISO and, when asked, skip entering a key. It will activate automatically as soon as it can contact the activation servers.

Thema:

1. Recycle Bin in recovery partition filling - Similar Threads - Recycle Bin recovery

2. recycle bin recovery after emptying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recycle bin recovery after emptying: Can I retrieve documents sent to Recycle bin after emptying recycle bin? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-bin-recovery-after-emptying/00cbf30e-d091-475b-9b66-3a56a3701beb
  3. recycle bin recovery after emptying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    recycle bin recovery after emptying: Can I retrieve documents sent to Recycle bin after emptying recycle bin? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-bin-recovery-after-emptying/00cbf30e-d091-475b-9b66-3a56a3701beb
  4. No Recycle Bin in new partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Recycle Bin in new partition: I have an old computer with Windows 8. I had the OS partition C, and a data partition D. I shrank C, making some 80Gb room between C and D. I created one more partition with Disk Management -> Create Simple Volume. Now I see that both C and D have their hidden $RECYCLE.BIN...
  5. No Recycle Bin in new partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Recycle Bin in new partition: I have an old computer with Windows 8. I had the OS partition C, and a data partition D. I shrank C, making some 80Gb room between C and D. I created one more partition with Disk Management -> Create Simple Volume. Now I see that both C and D have their hidden $RECYCLE.BIN...
  6. Recycle bin is filled with tmpOTAUpdate files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recycle bin is filled with tmpOTAUpdate files.: Recycle bin of my laptop is automatically filled with files named tmpOTAUpdate. Though delete these files from recycle bin, it is filled again and again....
  7. files recovery from recycle bin

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    files recovery from recycle bin: hey so this i was moveing some fioles and needed more space to do so i have random files on my desktop that i need to get rid of so i grabbed all those files including a house flipper withALL DLC NOW I LAUNCH ALL OF MY GAMES THRU THERE FILE FOLDERS ON MY DESKTOP I HAVE ABOUT...
  8. Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recycle Bin: I can not find the recycle bin on my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle/915eb735-58dc-40c8-b42f-492b1f9e5cd4
  9. recycle bin recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    recycle bin recovery: How (if possible) can you recover your videos, photos, ect. from your recycle bin if you already erased or emptied your recycle bin? I also realised after emptying or deleted all my files from the recycle bin that my file history is tured off (for some reason). And i do...
  10. recycle bin

in Windows 10 Support
    recycle bin: Since the 10061 build, I have several times noticed the recycle bin showing full and when I looked there was nothing in it. When I went back to desktop the bin showed empty. 5635