Windows 10: Recycle Bin in recovery partition filling

Discus and support Recycle Bin in recovery partition filling in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; The previous installation of Win 10 on one laptop failed. It wouldn't boot past first first Logo. After trying many options, decided to do a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by agent99, Jan 6, 2018.

1. agent99 Win User

Recycle Bin in recovery partition filling

The previous installation of Win 10 on one laptop failed. It wouldn't boot past first first Logo. After trying many options, decided to do a clean install. This was while using recovery USB stick.

Installation went fine and boot problem is fixed.

However, I started to get warnings that the Recovery partition was nearly full. It was about 450MB, so I increased that to 1.gGB. Then I noticed that anytime I deleted something, it ended up both in Recycle bin on Desktop as well as in Recycle bin in Recovery partition. This no doubt was reason for warnings about partition being full.

If I deleted something on Desktop (I had put several software setup packages there), shouldn't they just show up in C: drive recycle bin?

Any way I can tweak this to avoid Recovery partition from filling up?

:)

agent99, Jan 6, 2018
  2. grahambm Win User

REcycle Bin filling recovery partition.

I got some useful help on the Tens forum.

Problem seems to be that when installing windows 10 from the recovery disk, it didn't create the proper type of recovery partition. There should be no drive letter and it should not be a Primary partition.

Problem was solved by setting partition id to 27

from command prompt

diskpart

sel disk 0

sel partition 3

set id=27

exit

Recycle Bin in recovery partition filling [​IMG]

grahambm, Jan 6, 2018
  3. REcycle Bin filling recovery partition.

Thank you for sharing us this workaround. Glad to know that you were able to sort out the issue. Other community members who may experience the same issue will find this helpful.

All the best!

Melchizedek Qui, Jan 6, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

What is this stick ? is it Windows Installation USB or is it Windows Recovery that you created ?
    Recovery partition is a special partition and should not contain $RECYCLE.BIN. How did you increase this partition to 1GB ?

Post a screen shot of Disk Management so we can see what you currently have:
    Screenshot - Take in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Also, open Admin command and type:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # =====>where # is the disk id of your Windows
    list partition
    exit

Post the result.

topgundcp, Jan 6, 2018
  5. Layback Bear, Jan 6, 2018
  6. agent99 Win User
    topgundcp;1258163 asked: What is this stick ? is it Windows Installation USB or is it Windows Recovery that you created ?

Its is a Windows recovery USB as described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...ecovery-drives One option on that drive when nothing else works, is to reinstall Windows from within
    the recovery app. Which is what I did.

Recovery partition is a special partition and should not contain $RECYCLE.BIN. How did you increase this partition to 1GB ?
    The Recycle bin in the recovery partition was, I presume, created by the windows install or recovery disk creation. I didn't put it there!

I first created some unallocated space using Windows disk management to shrink C:. But Had to use AOMEI to extend the recovery partition (Win doesn't have that option)

Post a screen shot of Disk Management so we can see what you currently have:

I would do that and the other Admin CMDs, but currently using Win7 laptop because during restart, Win 10 seems to have gone into and endless loop! Don't turn your computer off etc Now about 2 hours!

agent99, Jan 7, 2018
  7. agent99 Win User
    I have been around Windows ever since a version first came out for Apple ][ computers. But Win 10 is relatively new to me. I do know how to take screenshots and use the snipping tool. What I need, is an explanation from someone who understands Win 10 as to why all deleted items end up in the Recovery partition Recycle bin. Does anyone have a clue??

agent99, Jan 7, 2018
  8. Recycle Bin in recovery partition filling

Well completing that tutorial would give us a look to see if we can see the problem.
    It was just a suggestion not a demand.

Have a nice day.

Jack

Layback Bear, Jan 7, 2018
  9. Berton Win User
    If I see the Recycle Bin on other partitions or drives than the C:, System or Boot drive I turn it off on those. RIght-click it and choose Properties, should show the partitions available and where to turn it off for some of those.

Berton, Jan 7, 2018
  10. agent99 Win User
    Just as a test, I deleted the $RECYCLE.bin /recycle bin folders that were on the Recovery partition along with all the files. Then checked the recycle bin on the Desktop. Everything had been emptied there too. I then created a desktop short cut called TEST and deleted it. It was in the Desktop Recycle bin. But new Recycle.bin/Recycle folders had been created in the Recovery partition and the deleted shortcut was there too. So somehow the two are linked.

You wanted some pics:

agent99, Jan 7, 2018
  11. agent99 Win User
    I have looked at those and both locations are listed. But I don't recall a way to turn one off? Just adjust the size. Just looked at Win 7 and I don't see a way to "turn off" a recycle bin??

agent99, Jan 7, 2018
  12. Berton Win User
    Berton, Jan 7, 2018
  13. Eagle51 Win User

Hey agent99,
    I don't think the Recovery Drive is suppose to have a Drive Letter. When you used AOMEI to resize it gave it one and along with that the $Recycle.bin. I think, you need to clean up / delete all the un-needed stuff in the Recovery Drive and remove the Driver Letter, then reboot.

Eagle51, Jan 7, 2018
  14. agent99 Win User
    OK, I did know I could do that. What puzzles me, is why the same deleted files end up in the recovery partition and the "main" Recycle bin. Maybe for some reason, Win 10 thinks that the REC Recycle Bin is the main one and all we see is a copy of it on the Desktop . But there are two listed - One for C: and one for D:

agent99, Jan 7, 2018
  15. Bree New Member
    The 'Recycle Bin' is a virtual folder - the 'real' recycle bins (pural) are the hidden $RECYCLE.BIN folders on the root of each drive. When you delete a file it is move to this hidden folder on the same drive. The 'Recycle Bin' is a composite view of the contents of all these $RECYCLE.BIN folders, it does not mean that a copy of the deleted file has magically appeared on every one of your drives.

Two things appear to be wrong with your Recovery Drive, the first is that it has a drive letter (it shouldn't) and the second is that it is marked as a 'Primary Partition' (it should show as a 'Recovery Partition'). Neither of these faults will stop it working as a recovery partition, but they are the reason a recycle bin has appeared on the recovery drive.

Correctly configured, you should not have any access to the recovery drive from within windows. Even Disk Management can only show that it exists, but cannot make changes to it. No doubt it got changed to a normal partition when you tried to enlarge it. What did you use? MiniTool?

This is how it should look:

Thema:

1. Recycle Bin in recovery partition filling - Similar Threads - Recycle Bin recovery

2. recycle bin recovery after emptying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recycle bin recovery after emptying: Can I retrieve documents sent to Recycle bin after emptying recycle bin? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-bin-recovery-after-emptying/00cbf30e-d091-475b-9b66-3a56a3701beb
  3. recycle bin recovery after emptying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    recycle bin recovery after emptying: Can I retrieve documents sent to Recycle bin after emptying recycle bin? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-bin-recovery-after-emptying/00cbf30e-d091-475b-9b66-3a56a3701beb
  4. No Recycle Bin in new partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Recycle Bin in new partition: I have an old computer with Windows 8. I had the OS partition C, and a data partition D. I shrank C, making some 80Gb room between C and D. I created one more partition with Disk Management -> Create Simple Volume. Now I see that both C and D have their hidden $RECYCLE.BIN...
  5. No Recycle Bin in new partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Recycle Bin in new partition: I have an old computer with Windows 8. I had the OS partition C, and a data partition D. I shrank C, making some 80Gb room between C and D. I created one more partition with Disk Management -> Create Simple Volume. Now I see that both C and D have their hidden $RECYCLE.BIN...
  6. Recycle bin is filled with tmpOTAUpdate files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recycle bin is filled with tmpOTAUpdate files.: Recycle bin of my laptop is automatically filled with files named tmpOTAUpdate. Though delete these files from recycle bin, it is filled again and again....
  7. files recovery from recycle bin

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    files recovery from recycle bin: hey so this i was moveing some fioles and needed more space to do so i have random files on my desktop that i need to get rid of so i grabbed all those files including a house flipper withALL DLC NOW I LAUNCH ALL OF MY GAMES THRU THERE FILE FOLDERS ON MY DESKTOP I HAVE ABOUT...
  8. Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recycle Bin: I can not find the recycle bin on my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle/915eb735-58dc-40c8-b42f-492b1f9e5cd4
  9. recycle bin recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    recycle bin recovery: How (if possible) can you recover your videos, photos, ect. from your recycle bin if you already erased or emptied your recycle bin? I also realised after emptying or deleted all my files from the recycle bin that my file history is tured off (for some reason). And i do...
  10. recycle bin

in Windows 10 Support
    recycle bin: Since the 10061 build, I have several times noticed the recycle bin showing full and when I looked there was nothing in it. When I went back to desktop the bin showed empty. 5635

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 recycle bin copies to recovery partition