Windows 10: Recycle Bin in recovery partition filling

Discus and support Recycle Bin in recovery partition filling in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Mini tool has a right click option > explore: [img] See if you can have a deeper look into the folders and files using right click with Aomei. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by agent99, Jan 6, 2018.

1. zbook New Member

Recycle Bin in recovery partition filling

Mini tool has a right click option > explore:

Recycle Bin in recovery partition filling [​IMG]

See if you can have a deeper look into the folders and files using right click with Aomei.

zbook, Jan 7, 2018
  2. topgundcp Win User

My understanding is different from @Bree . If you set the option for $RECYCLE.BIN not to permanently delete a file then it will create a file pointer link in $RECYCLE.BIN that points to the file on disk hence it will still occupy the storage space until you empty/delete it.

$RECYCLE.BIN and System Volume information folders are special kind of folders and exist in every regular drive. If you delete them, they will be re-created by Windows.

As you can see from the screen shot from @zbook. Recovery partition does not have a $RECYCLE.BIN as stated earlier.

topgundcp, Jan 7, 2018
  3. Right click the recycle bin on your Desktop and select Properties and select the partition where you want to disable recycle bin and select “Don’t move files to the Recycle Bin.” Click Apply and OK buttons.

FreeBooter, Jan 7, 2018
  4. agent99 Win User

I decided to give Mini PW a try and for this purpose it WAS useful!

There is still a Recycle bin. Maybe I should have deleted it before changing partition id? I did a test by deleting some more desktop short cuts. They show in main recycle bin, but not here. So, hopefully this issue is SOLVED ??

I still have a problem with laptop. This afternoon, just restarted it. It again says "Getting Windows Ready" Don't turn off your computer. Last night it did same and after 2-3 hours, I went to bed. In morning it was off, but started up OK. Is this Win10 still updating or what? Anyway to determine just what it is doing or at what stage updates are.

agent99, Jan 8, 2018
  5. zbook New Member
    Run this log collector and post a zip into the thread for troubleshooting:
    log collector v2-beta06.zip

zbook, Jan 8, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    If you had tried to do that from within Windows it would have just recreated $RECYCLE.BIN again - same goes for the 'System Volume Information' folder. You'd have to boot from another OS like a Linux Live USB to be able to delete them.

Anyway, they are not the cause of your other problems. They play no part in the recovery environment and will just be ignored. I have them on my recovery partition (a relic of a time I changed its ID and gave it a drive letter to let me explore it) and my system is fully functional. Just ignore them - they do no harm by being there.

7. zbook New Member
    The recycle bin in recovery may be able to be deleted using diskpart.
    If you want to do this then you will need to backup all files and make a backup image using Macrium.

zbook, Jan 8, 2018
  8. agent99 Win User

I am not going to worry about it. This old Toshiba is not going to be around for too long. We will probably pick up a new laptop with Win 10 installed and then just transfer my wife's stuff over to it. Whille it still works, I will use the Toshiba to learn something about Win 10. But for every day use I am sticking with my Lenovo Thinkpad with Win 7 Pro.

By the way, the Toshiba did restart after a couple of hours. I guess I should check and see where it is with updates. Or Fix Updates?

agent99, Jan 8, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    Use WinKey+R, run Winver and see what it says. Latest version is 1709, os build 16299.192
    Open Settings > Update & Security, pending updates (if any) will be listed here.
    Click 'View installed update history' to see successfully installed (or not) updates.

BTW, which model is this 'old Toshiba'? I only ask because I've been happily using Windows 10 on an 'old Toshiba' for years *Smile

10. agent99 Win User
    It is ver 1709, build 16299.125.

Says "There were some problems installing updates. If you keep seeing this etc etc search on-line for 0x800705b4."

Tried one "solution" and it required a restart. Guess what, back in another endless loop.

It is a Toshiba Satellite - Model L300, I think. Not a keeper for my wife, mainly because I had to "fix" GPU to mother board connection with a propane torch (twice!) I will use it as a test bed!

Glad to hear that the Win10 free updates are tied to the computer. I had Win 10 fail on my Lenovo Thinkpad T520. Luckily, I had the Key for the original Win 7 installation, so I installed Win7. Much happier, but from what was said, I could also install Win 10, if I wished. I do have a spare 256G SSD.

agent99, Jan 8, 2018
  11. Bree New Member
    That's the version from December's 'Patch Tuesday' cumulative update, so reasonably up to date. There was one out of band cumulative update since then, Cumulative Update KB4056892 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.192, but a number of people have reported problems installing that one - it's not something specific to your 'old Toshiba'.

12. agent99 Win User
    Any suggestions welcomed! On every restart, just get that "Getting Windows Ready" Don't turn off your computer. blue screen. Makes computer unusable. I have read a lot of "fixes" on net for the 0x800705b4 issue, but that same number seems to cover many issues some of which have been around for years.

Do you think it just that latest update that is causing the problem?

agent99, Jan 8, 2018
  13. zbook New Member

Run this log collector and post a zip into the thread for troubleshooting:
    log collector v2-beta06.zip

zbook, Jan 8, 2018
  14. agent99 Win User
    I would, but Win 10 computer is again in one of those seemingly endless Getting Ready loops. Seems to be in process of downloading a new distribution. 0x800705b4 was gone, and new message about download replaced it. Said it was 99% complete, but its still spinning!

Have to leave this for another day. Heading off on road trip early a.m.

agent99, Jan 8, 2018
  15. agent99 Win User
    Got to destination. More time now. Plugged Toshiba in and it is still doing same thin. Getting Windows Ready - Don't turn off your computer.

I will try and get a log, if it gives me the chance. Has run for several hours since I last posted. Once it got to log in screen, but on restart went back to same old thing. Total time spent "getting Ready" must now be several days because I have left it on overnight several times.

agent99, Jan 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Recycle Bin in recovery partition filling - Similar Threads - Recycle Bin recovery

2. recycle bin recovery after emptying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recycle bin recovery after emptying: Can I retrieve documents sent to Recycle bin after emptying recycle bin? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-bin-recovery-after-emptying/00cbf30e-d091-475b-9b66-3a56a3701beb
  3. recycle bin recovery after emptying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    recycle bin recovery after emptying: Can I retrieve documents sent to Recycle bin after emptying recycle bin? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-bin-recovery-after-emptying/00cbf30e-d091-475b-9b66-3a56a3701beb
  4. No Recycle Bin in new partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Recycle Bin in new partition: I have an old computer with Windows 8. I had the OS partition C, and a data partition D. I shrank C, making some 80Gb room between C and D. I created one more partition with Disk Management -> Create Simple Volume. Now I see that both C and D have their hidden $RECYCLE.BIN...
  5. No Recycle Bin in new partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Recycle Bin in new partition: I have an old computer with Windows 8. I had the OS partition C, and a data partition D. I shrank C, making some 80Gb room between C and D. I created one more partition with Disk Management -> Create Simple Volume. Now I see that both C and D have their hidden $RECYCLE.BIN...
  6. Recycle bin is filled with tmpOTAUpdate files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recycle bin is filled with tmpOTAUpdate files.: Recycle bin of my laptop is automatically filled with files named tmpOTAUpdate. Though delete these files from recycle bin, it is filled again and again....
  7. files recovery from recycle bin

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    files recovery from recycle bin: hey so this i was moveing some fioles and needed more space to do so i have random files on my desktop that i need to get rid of so i grabbed all those files including a house flipper withALL DLC NOW I LAUNCH ALL OF MY GAMES THRU THERE FILE FOLDERS ON MY DESKTOP I HAVE ABOUT...
  8. Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recycle Bin: I can not find the recycle bin on my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle/915eb735-58dc-40c8-b42f-492b1f9e5cd4
  9. recycle bin recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    recycle bin recovery: How (if possible) can you recover your videos, photos, ect. from your recycle bin if you already erased or emptied your recycle bin? I also realised after emptying or deleted all my files from the recycle bin that my file history is tured off (for some reason). And i do...
  10. recycle bin

in Windows 10 Support
    recycle bin: Since the 10061 build, I have several times noticed the recycle bin showing full and when I looked there was nothing in it. When I went back to desktop the bin showed empty. 5635