Windows 10: Recycle Bin(s) on External Hard Drives show Local Hard Drive Recycle

Discus and support Recycle Bin(s) on External Hard Drives show Local Hard Drive Recycle in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings group. I have a 2 month old hard drive that failed on my desktop PC, taking My Documents with 7 years worth of data. I had just moved the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hooked, Feb 25, 2016.

1. hooked Win User

Recycle Bin(s) on External Hard Drives show Local Hard Drive Recycle

Greetings group.
    I have a 2 month old hard drive that failed on my desktop PC, taking My Documents with 7 years worth of data. I had just moved the folder to the new drive and hadn't gotten a chance to backup yet.
    I'm trying to check Recycle bins on my External hard drives to see if I ever had even a partial Documents folder on one of them..
    Problem: All 3 of my external hard drives have multiple recycle bins. All of the recycle bins show the same content as my local C Drive on my laptop. I am attaching 2 screenshots for your review. One shot is of the recycle bins on external drive, the other shot is a screenshot of the recycle bins on my C drive on laptop.
    I'm logged in as Administrator because my normal login cannot access any of these recycle bins. And my normal login is in the Admin group. Using Windows Explorer as Administrator, I'm unable to see the Recycle bins. I can see them with my regular login. Very odd.

I'm so desperate for help. Any ideas appreciated. *Think

Thanks for any help.

:)

hooked, Feb 25, 2016

2. How to recover deleted file in the Recycle bin in my external hard drive

Hello everyone,

I deleted a lot of files from my external hard drive. All of them when to the recycle bin of my external hard drive.

I used a laptop on windows 10 to delete of this files and I could see them in the recycle bin.

Now I am connecting my external hard drive to another laptop (I only travel with my hard drive) and the recycle bin of my hard drive is empty. I have not empty it how did it happen?

I have shown hidden file on my hard drive and I can see there are few folder in the recycle bin but they are empty 0 bytes. What happen? how can i see my deleted files again.

Thanks

NoExpertAtall, Feb 25, 2016
  3. Where is recycle bin actually stored?

It's the same on Windows NT/2000 all the way up to XP/Vista/7/8/10.

When you delete a file on an external drive, it won't move the file to your internal drive (it won't move it to the
    C:\$Recycle.Bin folder). But if you've enabled recycling on the external drive, it should move to the $Recycle.Bin folder on the external drive itself (so something like
    F:\$Recycle.Bin for example). When you open your recycle bin icon, it should list files in the recycling folder of every connected hard drive (all in one combined view/list).

You can decide if recycling is allowed on an external drive by right-clicking your Recycle Bin and choosing Properties.

If it's setup to recycle on that drive but still not showing up in the recycle bin, I'd go ahead and reset the Recycle Bin (same instructions as linked above, just do it on your external drive).

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Feb 25, 2016
Thema:

Recycle Bin(s) on External Hard Drives show Local Hard Drive Recycle

1. Recycle Bin(s) on External Hard Drives show Local Hard Drive Recycle - Similar Threads - Recycle Bin External

2. How to access the recycle bin on an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to access the recycle bin on an external hard drive: Hi,Please could someone advise how I can gain access to the recycle bin on my external hard drive? I have followed the steps to make $RECYCLE visible and that worked, however, it's actually showing me the recycle bin on my laptop instead. I have searched the hard drive for...
  3. How to access the recycle bin on an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to access the recycle bin on an external hard drive: Hi,Please could someone advise how I can gain access to the recycle bin on my external hard drive? I have followed the steps to make $RECYCLE visible and that worked, however, it's actually showing me the recycle bin on my laptop instead. I have searched the hard drive for...
  4. How to access the recycle bin on an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Recycle bin on external hard drive is corrupted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recycle bin on external hard drive is corrupted.: I have started to get a popup stating "The Recycle Bin on F:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?". Clicking on either option has seemingly no effect and the popup just reappears after a few seconds. This started immediately after I tried...
  6. Recycle bin on external hard drive is corrupted.

Recycle bin on external hard drive is corrupted.: I have started to get a popup stating "The Recycle Bin on F:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?". Clicking on either option has seemingly no effect and the popup just reappears after a few seconds. This started immediately after I tried...
  7. Recycle bin on external hard drive is corrupted.

8. Access recycle bin on old Hard Drive

Access recycle bin on old Hard Drive: I recently upgraded my pc, in which I got an SSD that I installed windows on. On my hard drive that previously had windows on it, I cannot access the recycle bin. I got to $RECYCLE.BIN but opening the recycle bin leads me to the recycle bin on my SSD. Is there any way I could...
  9. Access recycle bin on old Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access recycle bin on old Hard Drive: I recently upgraded my pc, in which I got an SSD that I installed windows on. On my hard drive that previously had windows on it, I cannot access the recycle bin. I got to $RECYCLE.BIN but opening the recycle bin leads me to the recycle bin on my SSD. Is there any way I could...
  10. Access recycle bin on old Hard Drive