Windows 10: Red Scam Warning in Browser

Discus and support Red Scam Warning in Browser in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; A little while ago, shortly after booting the computer and launching Chrome, the Yahoo! home page got replaced with a red page about some sort of... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by gregyurkon, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Red Scam Warning in Browser

A little while ago, shortly after booting the computer and launching Chrome, the Yahoo! home page got replaced with a red page about some sort of malware attack on my computer, complete with recorded voice warning. Considering that Avast and Malwarebytes both found nothing, how concerned should I be?

:)

gregyurkon, Feb 8, 2018

2. Msg'This site says..Security Warning! You have a Trojan! Call now etc- How to remove malware/rogueware involved?

Phishing scam? first appeared 'Security alert warning! Bright red large letters etc Not on this computer--page frozen on mine

Nancy Bouldin, Feb 8, 2018
  3. kcurry7 Win User
    Scams using Microsoft

There are many, many scams going around right now claiming to be from Microsoft. These include:

Registry Error Scams (Manifests as a Browser Redirect)

Zeus Virus Scams (Manifests as a Browser Redirect)

Malware Removal Scams (Manifests as a Browser Redirect)

Windows Product Key Scams (Manifests as a Browser Redirect)

Virus Removal Scams (Phone and Browser Redirect)

Windows Corruption Scams (Browser Redirect)

Browser Corruption Scams (Browser Redirect)

Windows Defender Scams (Browser Redirect)

Microsoft isn't the only company being plagued by these scams. Either you are called or told to call a number to fix your computer. Microsoft and these other companies do not monitor your computer nor do they gather that information. A big red flag should
    be that most of these companies would have no reason to have your phone number. I rarely link my phone number to any password recovery account, instead using an email address. These companies that do not have my phone number are usually the ones who the callers
    claim to be. The FCC and FTC have shut down most of the call scams, so now they are finding ways to have you call them.

Also be aware some of these redirects install malware in their undisclosed cookies.

I think Microsoft needs to do what a few others have done, and put out a warning banner of some sort on their web pages, alerting consumers.

I also think they should include a link to the Malicious Software Removal Tool on that suggested ribbon they if provided on their websites so you can run it if you do get one of those redirects instead of go looking for it. That link is:

Download Malicious Software Removal Tool from Official Microsoft Download Center

I recommend everyone should run it (the program on the link) regularly.

kcurry7, Feb 8, 2018
  4. torre Win User

Red Scam Warning in Browser

Microsoft Edge Hacked

Check the above thread (lengthy, but worth the read)

Same thing happened to me today on Edge. Apparently only a nuisance.

torre, Feb 8, 2018
  5. That link was 244 days old.*Nerd

Josey Wales, Feb 8, 2018
  6. torre Win User
    *Smile Noticed that. Still factual, no ?

I also did some other searches which basically said the same.

torre, Feb 8, 2018
  7. simrick Win User
    Normally, you'd disconnect from the internet, use Task Manager to close the browser, and run Ccleaner on all browsers that exist on the system, to clear cache, cookies, history, etc. Then, flush DNS, and run a malware scan. If nothing is found, you should be fine.

simrick, Feb 8, 2018
  8. Red Scam Warning in Browser

Under the current circumstances, since I don't currently have CCleaner, should I trust a freshly downloaded copy?

gregyurkon, Feb 8, 2018
  9. simrick Win User
    I would. Or, you can manually clear out all your browsers.

simrick, Feb 8, 2018
  10. I already used CCleaner, and there's still no sign of any malware. I think what I had was an amateur attack, unless it's hiding until I least expect it.

gregyurkon, Feb 9, 2018
  11. simrick Win User
    Cheers! *Thumbs

simrick, Feb 9, 2018
  12. As an afterthought, is it likely that this is one of the types of attacks which GPT protects the system from? I'm wondering, because a friend of mine who does IT recently told me that closing Chrome with the close button should not have worked as well as it did.

gregyurkon, Feb 23, 2018
  13. simrick Win User

GPT? GPT is a partitioning scheme - how would that prevent attacks?
    I don't understand what you mean about closing Chrome. If the Yahoo! Home Page was displaying an infected ad, that could have been what got you. Closing the browser can be a solution to some of the pages like this known as "Scareware".

simrick, Feb 24, 2018
  14. I was referring to a type of ransomware described in this thread: Nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record

As far as closing Chrome is concerned, I'm told that when it's attacked like this, you need to use Task Manager to close Chrome.

gregyurkon, Feb 24, 2018
  15. simrick Win User
    I see what you're saying. It's actually the UEFI that is supposed to prevent these types of boot infections.

Yes, in some instances, where the browser is hijacked, you'd have to close it via Task Manager. However, I suspect you just came across some Scareware in this particular instance.

If all is well, please go ahead and mark the thread as solved. Cheers!

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Red Scam Warning in Browser - Similar Threads - Red Scam Warning

2. Red Weather warnings - UK

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Red Weather warnings - UK: The weather forecast generated by Microsoft when I power up says the wind where I live will be 12mph. The UK Met Office says the wind could be 75mph with gusts exceeding 100mph and is likely to cause: Flying debris resulting in danger to life Damage to buildings and homes,...
  3. Red Weather warnings - UK

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Red Weather warnings - UK: The weather forecast generated by Microsoft when I power up says the wind where I live will be 12mph. The UK Met Office says the wind could be 75mph with gusts exceeding 100mph and is likely to cause: Flying debris resulting in danger to life Damage to buildings and homes,...
  4. Red Weather warnings - UK

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Red warning screen "tech support scam" IS NOT WHAT YOUR SAYING IT IS

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Red warning screen "tech support scam" IS NOT WHAT YOUR SAYING IT IS: Ive read the advise posted on this red warning screen and instructing to reset the browser but not potentially fatal but this is extremely false. This is a highly sophisticated virus that I have not observed infect 22 of my clients systems in less than 6 days, jump the...
  6. Event viewer FULL of RED WARNINGS.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Event viewer FULL of RED WARNINGS.: I have MANY red warnings in my Event Viewer. I am quite the novice on computers. This problem is too deep for me to handle. I would appreciate any help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/event-viewer-full-of-red-warnings/bf9ef232-3a2c-43c9-a442-7d4d74e104de"
  7. Scam "Warning Screen"?

Scam "Warning Screen"?: In the middle of checking emails and diverting to a familiar site I've accessed before, I received an alert warning with a loud alarm sound and a voice (computerized) stating that and attempt was made to access my system, but Windows Smart Screen prevented an unrecognized app...
  8. Red Screen Scam - We fell for it

Red Screen Scam - We fell for it: So, my dad received the red screen scam and called the number. The next thing he knows, gentleman on the phone has access TO HIS COMPUTER. He was controlling the computer for 15 minutes or so, explaining he could fix the virus situation with three charges: $149 to clean up...
  9. Microsoft Warning scam

Microsoft Warning scam: So I started my laptop today and I was gonna watch youtube so I turned on the volume and I am hearing about a spyware and the possibility of my laptop being disabled, so I looked into it and found out about the scam. I hear what I've read the warnings say but i dont get any...
  10. UK scam warning.

UK scam warning.: DVLA email scam offers motorists car tax refund | Cars | Life & Style | Express.co.uk 86641