Windows 10: Red Taskbar Symbol, can't bring window to foreground

Discus and support Red Taskbar Symbol, can't bring window to foreground in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hey there,since I've updated to Windows 11 in November 2021 there are consistent issues with my taskbar.Even after a big number of serious updates on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by milio30, Feb 23, 2022.

1. milio30 Win User

Red Taskbar Symbol, can't bring window to foreground

Hey there,since I've updated to Windows 11 in November 2021 there are consistent issues with my taskbar.Even after a big number of serious updates on Windows 11, these problems still exist, and I can't find any solutions online.My system and all drivers are being up-to-date.When I start a new program/window this will be opened in the foreground as we all know.But in many cases, the taskbar symbol of the window I had opened before gets a red background and can't be opened by clicking on it.Only by minimizing the recently opened window, I can get back to it and the red taskbar icon background

:)

milio30, Feb 23, 2022
  2. yoyoma2 Win User

On-Screen Keyboard bug changes foreground window

This On-Screen Keyboard bug changes the current foreground window.

Steps:

1. Open Edge and notepad and maximize them (never minimize them)
    2. Select notepad by clicking on it in taskbar (it's now on top)
    3. Open the On-Screen Keyboard (in Windows Ease of access)
    4. Type a few characters into notepad with the On-Screen Keyboard
    5. Minimize the On-Screen Keyboard
    6. Select Edge by clicking on it in taskbar (it's now on top)
    7. Restore the On-Screen Keyboard by clicking on it in taskbar and use it to type into Edge
    Result:

Notepad is now on top

Expected result:

Edge remains on top i.e. the On-Screen Keyboard maintains the current foreground window in which you intended to type.

History:

This superuser Q&A contains links to this bug being reported in windows 8, windows 7 and claims it goes back 17 years to Windows XP.

Workarounds:

Kill the On-Screen Keyboard every time instead of minimizing it. The bug occurs because the On-Screen Keyboard fails to keep track of the current foreground window while minimized.

Patch out the SetForegroundWindow call from the On-Screen Keyboard binary as described in the superuser link above.

Wait 17 more years for Microsoft to fix it.

Tell user to stop being disabled.

yoyoma2, Feb 23, 2022
  3. How to make taskbar button flash rather than bring windows to foreground?

I have Windows 10 Pro. When a background window/program activates, it is brought to the foreground. How do I make it that the taskbar button flashes yellow when it is activated instead of bringing the window/program to the foreground and interrupting the current window I am on?

Nelson Matias, Feb 23, 2022
  4. Red Taskbar Symbol, can't bring window to foreground

KB4025342, window with focus not in foreground

This occurred with the March 2017 WU, & now again with KB4025342.

This ONLY occurs after these WUs were installed & laptop rebooted.

It worked fine before the WUs.

This laptop is less than 1 year old.

THE ISSUE:

Roughly around an hour of the computer being on, toggling between open windows will fail to bring the window with the focus to the foreground.

For example:

If another window currently has the focus (Excel 2016, Word 2016, Google Chrome, etc.) & you try to toggle to another open window, like Notepad, Notepad will not be brought to the foreground, but it still has the focus.

You can type in some text, minimize the window that had the focus before clicking on an open Notepad doc from the Taskbar, and you will see the text was entered in that Notepad doc, even though it was not in the foreground.

The issue is that the open app the user clicks on is not brought to the foreground and/or the window that is in the foreground is not giving up the foreground to the app the user clicks on to bring it to the foreground.

This happens only after the March 2017 & the July 2017 WU were automatically installed by Windows Update.

What changes in these WUs are corrupting this toggling between open windows?

This has never happened before with any other Windows OS, only Windows 10.

JeffSchafer, Feb 23, 2022
Thema:

Red Taskbar Symbol, can't bring window to foreground

1. Red Taskbar Symbol, can't bring window to foreground - Similar Threads - Red Taskbar Symbol

2. Red Taskbar Symbol, can't bring window to foreground

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Red Taskbar Symbol, can't bring window to foreground: Hey there,since I've updated to Windows 11 in November 2021 there are consistent issues with my taskbar.Even after a big number of serious updates on Windows 11, these problems still exist, and I can't find any solutions online.My system and all drivers are being...
  3. Windows 11 difficulty to bring a window to the foreground

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 difficulty to bring a window to the foreground: After upgrading to Windows 11, I have a difficulty to bring a window to the foreground. For example, I have multiple browser windows open. With Alt-TAB I can select one of the others, and then it comes to the foreground.If I hoover over the icon in the taskbar, a small...
  4. Windows 11 difficulty to bring a window to the foreground

Windows 11 difficulty to bring a window to the foreground: After upgrading to Windows 11, I have a difficulty to bring a window to the foreground. For example, I have multiple browser windows open. With Alt-TAB I can select one of the others, and then it comes to the foreground.If I hoover over the icon in the taskbar, a small...
  5. unknown symbol taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    unknown symbol taskbar: What is this symbol on taskbar, from when it appeared, start button and search not working, windows defender setting page not opening. it is not showing anything hovering mouse, not doing anything on click...
  6. Printer Dialog goes foreground, and i can't move to foreground

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Printer Dialog goes foreground, and i can't move to foreground: I'm using an app online for dessign. When I try to print my work, the printer's dialog goes foreground, and I can't move it to foreground using ALT+TAB or CTRL+TAB. I have to change the screen resolution, and when the screen is changing, the dialog moves to the foreground....
  7. Red symbol when trying to get a game

Red symbol when trying to get a game: I've been trying to download minecraft windows 10 edition as of late and i cant seem to install the game onto my PC. This symbol appears on my cursor when i hover over the install button. Is there something I am doing wrong? What can i do to prevent this from Happening...
  8. Weird red symbols appearing between numbers

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird red symbols appearing between numbers: Around a month ago I started seeing random red dots mixed in between strings of numbers [img] They're appearing everywhere and I'm not sure what's causing it. When I try and copy and paste text containing the symbols, a couple of spaces usually show up in place of the red...
  9. Can't remove Windows Update symbol in taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't remove Windows Update symbol in taskbar: I am currently facing a problem which is giving me headaches. After a random amount of time the Windows Update Symbol pops up in the System Tray. The message of that Icon is saying "Your device is at risk because it's out of date and missing important security and quality...
  10. Taskbar always in foreground when a window is always on top

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar always in foreground when a window is always on top: Hi there. After the anniversary update every time I have a window set to always on top the taskbar cannot hide behind a borderless fullscreen game Please advise me what to do as I am at the end of my rope Thank you 59630