Windows 10: Red X in explorer

Discus and support Red X in explorer in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a weird issue. I can't move files from one directory to another in file explorer. When I try it shows a red x. I can however use a 3rd party... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TwilightSymphonie, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Red X in explorer

I have a weird issue. I can't move files from one directory to another in file explorer. When I try it shows a red x. I can however use a 3rd party file manager and another user account is fine. Does anyone know the directory I need to delete to reset tis?

submitted by /u/TwilightSymphonie
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TwilightSymphonie, Jun 16, 2020

2. Ethernet shows red X and does not appear in settings, but still works

Not sure why this is happening. I have working ethernet and am connected, it works fine. But the taskbar icon shows a red X over it, and the tooltip says "Not Connected - No connections are available". Looking in "Network & Internet", ethernet is not even listed there. And before anyone suggests wireless interference .. this PC does not have a wireless card or integrated wireless.

winderpExpress, Jun 16, 2020
  3. lbeck Win User
    what does red x mean in file explorer?

I just purchased a new laptop with presumably latest Windows 10. Working through some stuff I now see red circles with an "X" inserted by some File Explorer folders - some very important like "Documents". I tried restarting File Explorer and rebooting the computer but the symbols remain. Also, trying to access some files that I thought were saved are missing. Maybe I didn't actually save them or maybe there's another problem like trying to save to an "X"d folder.

What do these troubling symbols mean and how can I return to a clean File Explorer?

ADDED LATER:

Still looking for a solution I found here that the problem may be related to MSFT One Drive, which I was working with when the problem surfaced. As far as I can tell from the help, the "sync" operation is working. One Drive works okay on my desktop machine and no red x has ever shown previously or now.

Then, I see that the avast antivirus program may use a red x? see the screen capture. but Avast says no threats. Also, McAfee came preloaded on this new laptop and I'm unfamiliar with it's notifications and maybe the red x means that Avast is not working because McAfee is??

just some more clues.....

Red X in explorer [​IMG]

lbeck, Jun 16, 2020
  4. Red X in explorer

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

Red X in explorer

1. Red X in explorer - Similar Threads - Red explorer

2. Red x's in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Red x's in File Explorer: I was copying a bunch of files from an external HD when I maxed out my OneDrive capacity. I subscribed to more OneDrive space, but in File Explorer the folders involved in the transfer are still showing a white x in a red circle indicating they can't be backed up to OneDrive....
  3. Red x's in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Red x's in File Explorer: I was copying a bunch of files from an external HD when I maxed out my OneDrive capacity. I subscribed to more OneDrive space, but in File Explorer the folders involved in the transfer are still showing a white x in a red circle indicating they can't be backed up to OneDrive....
  4. Red x's in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Remove red Onedrive "Make a backup" icon on Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove red Onedrive "Make a backup" icon on Explorer: Onedrive wants me to make a backup of the files I have in that folder but I don't want a Onedrive backup of the folder I have a different documents folder for the files I want to backup. If I click the icon, I get the following windowwhich says Onedrive doesn't have enough...
  6. Remove red Onedrive "Make a backup" icon on Explorer

Remove red Onedrive "Make a backup" icon on Explorer: Onedrive wants me to make a backup of the files I have in that folder but I don't want a Onedrive backup of the folder I have a different documents folder for the files I want to backup. If I click the icon, I get the following windowwhich says Onedrive doesn't have enough...
  7. Windows 11 Home - File Explorer Red Eye Removal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Home - File Explorer Red Eye Removal: Is there a way to remove a red eye in file explorer? I cant figure it out. I see spot corrector but it doesnt take the red eye away. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-home-file-explorer-red-eye-removal/ae0e97e7-44ec-4b93-8c7a-cbcd75f2d19e
  8. Windows 11 Home - File Explorer Red Eye Removal

Windows 11 Home - File Explorer Red Eye Removal: Is there a way to remove a red eye in file explorer? I cant figure it out. I see spot corrector but it doesnt take the red eye away. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-home-file-explorer-red-eye-removal/ae0e97e7-44ec-4b93-8c7a-cbcd75f2d19e
  9. why is my windows 11 file explorer highlited in red?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is my windows 11 file explorer highlited in red?: why is it in red?is it a bug? help plsss microsoft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-windows-11-file-explorer-highlited-in/8b44fd91-b5f2-4306-b504-759204a3f015
  10. why is my windows 11 file explorer highlited in red?

why is my windows 11 file explorer highlited in red?: why is it in red?is it a bug? help plsss microsoft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-windows-11-file-explorer-highlited-in/8b44fd91-b5f2-4306-b504-759204a3f015