Windows 10: Red X marks in File Explorer

Discus and support Red X marks in File Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My old computer and new computer are both running Windows 10. But on the new one I find two things that are not on the older one. 1 OneDrive seems to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tfd3, May 27, 2020.

1. tfd3 Win User

Red X marks in File Explorer

My old computer and new computer are both running Windows 10. But on the new one I find two things that are not on the older one. 1 OneDrive seems to be built in. 2 Many files and folders show up in File Explorer with red X marks beside them.

So I have two questions:

1 Do I have to have OneDrive? Its presence bothers me.

2 What do the red X marks mean? Do they interfere with performance?

Thanks for help.

Tom

:)

2. SlavaB. Win User

File Explorer shows red "x" mark at a folder name

File Explorer shows red "x" mark next to a folder symbol, however this folder is accessible and seems all right. What does red "x" mark mean? Thank you

SlavaB., May 27, 2020
  3. lbeck Win User
    what does red x mean in file explorer?

I just purchased a new laptop with presumably latest Windows 10. Working through some stuff I now see red circles with an "X" inserted by some File Explorer folders - some very important like "Documents". I tried restarting File Explorer and rebooting the computer but the symbols remain. Also, trying to access some files that I thought were saved are missing. Maybe I didn't actually save them or maybe there's another problem like trying to save to an "X"d folder.

What do these troubling symbols mean and how can I return to a clean File Explorer?

ADDED LATER:

Still looking for a solution I found here that the problem may be related to MSFT One Drive, which I was working with when the problem surfaced. As far as I can tell from the help, the "sync" operation is working. One Drive works okay on my desktop machine and no red x has ever shown previously or now.

Then, I see that the avast antivirus program may use a red x? see the screen capture. but Avast says no threats. Also, McAfee came preloaded on this new laptop and I'm unfamiliar with it's notifications and maybe the red x means that Avast is not working because McAfee is??

just some more clues.....

Red X marks in File Explorer [​IMG]

lbeck, May 27, 2020
  4. JayWillig Win User

New Spring 1803 green Check marks and red X's?

New Spring 1803 green Check mark and red X'? I am seeing Green check marks and re X's on programs and files and folders what do they mean? and how do I fix my red X Documents Folder and icon back?

JayWillig, May 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Red X marks in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Red marks File

2. Red X in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Red X in explorer: I have a weird issue. I can't move files from one directory to another in file explorer. When I try it shows a red x. I can however use a 3rd party file manager and another user account is fine. Does anyone know the directory I need to delete to reset tis? submitted by...
  3. Files and folders with red x ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files and folders with red x ?: Help please, today i see small red x on all my files and folders. Why is this and what can i do to resolve the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-and-folders-with-red-x/6f31a649-110d-4da5-9607-71bc655c7b26
  4. On my windows 10 folders and images i found a red X mark how to remove the X mark

On my windows 10 folders and images i found a red X mark how to remove the X mark: [ATTACH]I FOUND THIS RED X MARK ON MY FOLDERS AND IMAGES , HOW TO REMOVE THE X MARKS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/on-my-windows-10-folders-and-images-i-found-a-red/10fb95cd-708d-4022-95db-a748329c601d"
  5. Red X's

Red X's: This Morning I have red X's on all of my files in my OneDrive folder. OneDrive says it's up to date. So what's with the red X's https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/red-xs/75c19e15-6651-4038-b3ca-b4bc0ae046cd"
  6. My Entire Disks has red X marks on it. WHY? X mark on Local Disk and External Drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Entire Disks has red X marks on it. WHY? X mark on Local Disk and External Drive.: Hello! Can you help me with this? 10 July 2019 3 am I used my laptop and all runs normal no X mark on local disk. Then 10 am I used it again and this happen. Local Disk C:, D:, E:, all of it has its X red mark. Why? I've been googled, youtubed. I've done all the tips, like...
  7. Drive Icons in File Explorer have red x's?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive Icons in File Explorer have red x's?: Greetings guys and girls. My drive icons suddenly look like this? Anyone else seen this? How do I fix this? (Running 1903) 136281
  8. Drive Icons in File Explorer have red x's?

in Windows 10 Support
    Drive Icons in File Explorer have red x's?: Greetings guys and girls. My drive icons suddenly look like this? Anyone else seen this? How do I fix this? (Running 1903) 136281
  9. check marks and x's in file explorer?

check marks and x's in file explorer?: What are the check marks and x's at the corner of files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/check-marks-and-xs-in-file-explorer/f5c7e789-752f-420e-9914-97a028e6896e"
  10. what does red x mean in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    what does red x mean in file explorer?: I just purchased a new laptop with presumably latest Windows 10. Working through some stuff I now see red circles with an "X" inserted by some File Explorer folders - some very important like "Documents". I tried restarting File Explorer and rebooting the computer but the...