Windows 10: Red X on speaker icon

Discus and support Red X on speaker icon in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I had downloaded a few optional updates from settings, and the next thing I see is that there is a red X on my sound icon, its happened to me many... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by 7 3 2, Dec 26, 2021.

1. 7 3 2 Win User

Red X on speaker icon

I had downloaded a few optional updates from settings, and the next thing I see is that there is a red X on my sound icon, its happened to me many times before, for me the solution is to reset your computer, its now the 4th time that I've been resetting my PC now. I've searched up so many tutorials on the internet, they have the same problem, but their solutions never work for me, my audio service is running, I've reset that many times, stopped it and started it many times, but nothing worked. The trouble shooter never works, it always says "restart your PC to finish installing drivers and upd

:)

7 3 2, Dec 26, 2021

2. Red X by my speaker icon.

Red X by my speaker icon. Message says "No Audio Output Device Installed" but the speakers are plugged in and work fine. I checked them on another computer.

Danny Yarbrough, Dec 26, 2021
  3. Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Dec 26, 2021
  4. Paultx Win User

Red X on speaker icon

HDDs icons with big red X

Rebuilding the icon cache was the first thing I tried. Actually, I did that before starting this thread. I also tried SFC /scannow and DISM — both TNA. Even Icaros didn't fix it.

As to the OneDrive suggestion, unfortunately it made things worse.

First I unlinked my PC from OneDrive. Before I restarted the system I checked the desktop and found that the icons changed and showed the apps and folder icons with some sort of system default overlay.

Red X on speaker icon [​IMG]

Then I restarted the system and the issue was still there.

But now I have the executables shortcuts icons shown on the desktop as a blank icon. The exception is the IrfanView shortcut icon, which, like the other icons, shows a sort of blank overlay (it seems to be related to the arrow overlay). PDF files and internet shortcuts also show that. Images and files shortcuts icons (like TXT) are normal.

Desktop now

The taskbar too shows a blank icon for most shortcuts.

This new thing can be seen elsewhere on the system, but with some details. When Explorer is set to show Small icons, List, and Details, those new issues appear. The other viewing options show the icons normally.

Explorer in Details view

Explorer in Large icons view

Well, I guess the problem is with icons only, not related to HDDs and stuff.

Paultx, Dec 26, 2021
Thema:

Red X on speaker icon

1. Red X on speaker icon - Similar Threads - Red speaker icon

2. Speaker Icon With Red X

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speaker Icon With Red X: Hello I Have A Speaker Icon With A Red X In My Lower Left Side Of My Computer Screen .I Can't Get Rid Of It By Right Clicking The Mouse Go Right Through It .Is There A Way To Remove It ?...
  3. Speaker Icon With Red X

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Speaker Icon With Red X: Hello I Have A Speaker Icon With A Red X In My Lower Left Side Of My Computer Screen .I Can't Get Rid Of It By Right Clicking The Mouse Go Right Through It .Is There A Way To Remove It ?...
  4. Speaker Icon With Red X

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Speaker Icon With Red X

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speaker Icon With Red X: Hello I Have A Speaker Icon With A Red X Above The Windows Search Box How Do I Get Rid Of It ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speaker-icon-with-red-x/5fee0f10-4bb1-4d90-9746-e25825a6dab7
  6. Speaker Icon With Red X

Speaker Icon With Red X: Hello I Have A Speaker Icon With A Red X Above The Windows Search Box How Do I Get Rid Of It ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speaker-icon-with-red-x/5fee0f10-4bb1-4d90-9746-e25825a6dab7
  7. Speaker Icon With Red X

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Audio is suddenly not working there is a red X on speaker icon

Audio is suddenly not working there is a red X on speaker icon: the audio cut out and seems to no longer be available on my laptop. The speaker icon has a red x on it. I restarted the laptop twice, please help....
  9. Red X on speaker icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Red X on speaker icon: I had downloaded a few optional updates from settings, and the next thing I see is that there is a red X on my sound icon, its happened to me many times before, for me the solution is to reset your computer, its now the 4th time that I've been resetting my PC now. I've...
  10. Red X on speaker icon

Red X on speaker icon: I had downloaded a few optional updates from settings, and the next thing I see is that there is a red X on my sound icon, its happened to me many times before, for me the solution is to reset your computer, its now the 4th time that I've been resetting my PC now. I've...