Windows 10: Redefining servicing of manual drivers

Discus and support Redefining servicing of manual drivers in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Back in August, we introduced an improved update experience on Windows 10 PCs to help you discover available Windows 10 feature updates, monthly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mart L, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Mart L Win User

Redefining servicing of manual drivers

Back in August, we introduced an improved update experience on Windows 10 PCs to help you discover available Windows 10 feature updates, monthly non-security quality updates, and driver updates. On November 5th we will complete the transformation of driver servicing by creating a clear distinction between automatic and manual updates.

In the past, when a user connected a peripheral device for example a web-camera to their machinefor the first time, and the device had only amanual driver formally known as ‘optional driver’ published on Windows Update WU, the driver would come downautomatically to the machine. The user had no control over the decision.

There will be no change to the plug-and-play scenario when there is anautomatic driver published on Windows Update; however, to give users better control, Microsoft is redefining the way manual drivers are being serviced on Windows 10, version 2004 and subsequent updates.

Beginning November 5th, two types of driver updates will be available:

1. Automatic driver updates will come downautomatically to your machine either when you plug-in a device for the first time or when a publisher releases a driver to Windows Update.

2. Manual driver updates will come downmanually to your machine if you specifically requested them throughSettings > Update & Security > Windows Update > View optional updates.

For IT Pros managing their organization’s driver environment, there will be no change. The change applies only to machines that are open to receive driver updates directly from Windows Updates.

For more information, please visit Understanding Windows Update Automatic and Option Rules for Driver Distribution.

:)

Mart L, Oct 28, 2020

2. NNo drivers, no manual

I went to the suggested website and found no drivers, and no manual. I bought a computer with windows 10 (which is not even listed on the website's selection drop down) and it came with no instructions as well. Why is it so hard to get an owner's manual?
    I've wasted an hour searching through this "support" site and still have found nothing of use.

DurwoodEvans, Oct 28, 2020
  3. Difference between the Manual and Manual (trigger start) services

Hi Balubeto.

Greetings from the distant future.

I'm not sure why the other user was being so difficult in answering your question.

"Manual" and "Manual (Triggered)" are the same mode, but windows 7, 8 and 10 have added features to the "Manual" mode, namely the ability to add very specific triggers which will start a service which ordinarily would not start by themselves. An example of this is the Bluetooth service on a laptop, where the BT handling service only starts when a device tries to connect to the BT radio.

If your service says "Manual (Triggered)" it means that there is one or more triggers enabled. To look deeper into this, first find the service name:

Open up services (By opening the "Run" dialog and typing "Services.msc"

Locate the service in the list, right-click on it and click "Properties". The Service Name is displayed under the "General" tab. For example, my Bluetooth Device Handler service is called "bthserv"

To find out what these triggers are, open the start menu and type "cmd". Rightclick on the "Command Prompt" list item and select "Run As Administrator"

At the command prompt, type:

sc qtriggerinfo bthserv (obviously replace "bthserv" with the name of your service)

All the triggers for that service will be shown below. To find out more about them, you might need to google or ask about for them individually.

To delete (and please, make sure you understand what you're changing here BEFORE you change it) the triggers for a service, type:

sc triggerinfo bthserv delete (again, replacing bthserv with your service name)

Restart the computer and check the service again using "sc qtriggerinfo". There will no longer be any triggers listed. If you check the service in services.msc, you'll see it now says "Manual" instead of "Manual(Triggered)"

SC is the service config command, QTRIGGERINFO is the Query Trigger Information command. TRIGGERINFO is the command to actually modify the triggers.

To show all SC commands and what else you can do with this, just type SC and press enter. Again, please use great care when modifying services, and if you aren't sure of the outcome, keep reading about it until you do. It's also best to leave these alone unless you have a very specific reason for removing the triggers.

UnmetPlayer, Oct 28, 2020
  4. Redefining servicing of manual drivers

After Windows 10 update/restart, Networking, Wi-Fi, USB Audio/Video drivers are all gone

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing with installing the drivers on your computer after the Anniversary Update.
    Now that you have me with you let me take care of this.

What exactly are you referring to when you say: "I installed Windows 10 in a VM"?

If you are not referring to the installation of Windows 10 on Virtual Machines, let us try few of the troubleshooting steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Check if the Windows Installer service is started and set to Manual.

Follow the below steps for the same:

• Press Windows + R keys from the keyboard to open
      Run command.
    • Type services.msc in the search box and press
      Enter.
    • Search for the Windows Installer service
    • Make sure the Start-up type
      is Manual.
    Steps to set the services to Automatic

• Right click on the service
    • If the service is stopped then
      Start the service
    • Select Properties
    • And in the Start-up type,
      select Manual.

Step 2: I suggest you to check if there are any drivers with exclamatory mark in Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager.
    • Check for the drivers with exclamatory mark in yellow triangle.
    • If so, right click on the driver, click on Properties
      and check the device status.

Step 3: I recommend you to refer to the article by Andre Da Costa
    to install the drivers and check if it helps.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of installing the drivers for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 28, 2020
Thema:

Redefining servicing of manual drivers

1. Redefining servicing of manual drivers - Similar Threads - Redefining servicing manual

2. Windows BITS service Manual

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows BITS service Manual: any idea why my system has somehow been set to manual for the BITS? I had a support ticket just recently and this was fixed along with some other security issues r/t corrupt driver. I was going to just change it but wanted to ask if anyone has any insite on the best thing to...
  3. Windows BITS service Manual

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows BITS service Manual: any idea why my system has somehow been set to manual for the BITS? I had a support ticket just recently and this was fixed along with some other security issues r/t corrupt driver. I was going to just change it but wanted to ask if anyone has any insite on the best thing to...
  4. Services keeps become manual/automatic

Services keeps become manual/automatic: Hi. Those services BITS, Update Orchestrator Service, WIndows Update and Windows Update Medic Service keeps re-enable themselves after like 1 week when i disable them...
  5. BITS service is stopping and going to manual

BITS service is stopping and going to manual: Is it normal that BITS service is going back to manual and stopping after the PC is starting? After like 15 minutes that the PC is on, at first it is fine as it is on Automatic Delayed Start, but after a while it going to manual and stops!I noticed that this causes problems...
  6. Watch Samsung #UnboxAndDiscover Screens Redefined

in Windows 10 News
    Watch Samsung #UnboxAndDiscover Screens Redefined: [media] Following an unprecedented year that saw consumer viewing habits change exponentially, Samsung Electronics is continuing its legacy of delivering groundbreaking products for each and every consumer through 2021. At its virtual Unbox & Discover event, Samsung...
  7. Microsoft redefining servicing of Manual drivers for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft redefining servicing of Manual drivers for Windows 10: Microsoft is continually looking to evolve the driver servicing system to increase clarity in users’ acquisition scenarios and, over the past several months, has made several changes in support of that goal with improvements to areas such as publication and user...
  8. Disabling or manually managing a service

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling or manually managing a service: Context: I have multiple services running that blocks me from installing Docker which is crucial for work. The Services GUI manager has the startup type disabled for these apps. I cannot, as an admin, in safe-mode, using regedit, also running as admin, change the service...
  9. BITS service manual or automatic?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    BITS service manual or automatic?: Hey all I'm just wondering whether it matters if the BITS services is in manual or automatic (delayed start) since it has a habit of switch from the former to the latter. I'm not interested in disabling it as I still want my updates checked automatically (controversial I...
  10. Difference between the Manual and Manual (trigger start) services

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference between the Manual and Manual (trigger start) services: Hi I noticed that some services of Windows 10 Preview although I set them on Manual, they are automatically set to "Manual (trigger start". Why? What is the difference between these two startup modes? Lastly, with these services, how do I set them to the first startup...