Windows 10: Redirect a system file problem

Discus and support Redirect a system file problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; First post here for me - have lurked and used many tips over the years. I'm setting up a new computer with Win 10 Pro pre-installed (version 1903... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dearnold, Jan 4, 2020.

1. dearnold Win User

Redirect a system file problem

First post here for me - have lurked and used many tips over the years.
    I'm setting up a new computer with Win 10 Pro pre-installed (version 1903 Build 18362.356). It's a Dell Alienware Aurora R9.

While changing the location of some of the system folders in my primary User (Dianne), I mistakenly pointed it to the D:\ drive instead of a folder on the D drive. It is the downloads folder, so I don't want files spraying all over my D drive. I cannot figure out how to "undo" this.
    I tried simply relocating it to a folder on the D Drive and I get the error about parent and child folders.
    I can't get it back to the c:\users\Dianne folder - get a permissions type error.
    I tried to move it back to c:\Users\Public\Downloads and that gives me this: Do you want to redirect folder "Downloads
    into another system folder "Public Downloads" located at blah blah. If you proceed with redirection you will not be able to separate them or restore default location. Do you still want to proceed with redirection?"
    I'm baffled at this point.
    I'm reasonably comfortable using command lines and such if that will help untangle this so I can get moving - don't want to start re-installing programs and moving some data from backups of my old PC until I get this part set up.
    Thanks for advice or for pointing me to a tip already posted that I can read & follow.
    Dianne

:)

dearnold, Jan 4, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Jan 4, 2020
  3. System Image Problem

I'm getting a head start in case you get on early.

Can you post camera pics to your thread from your phone?

There will be steps later that require attention to detail and I'd feel better if I could see what's on your screen. I had to try the steps more than once when I tested the process and I'd like to avoid that on your machine.

Here's what I'd like to do for the Macrium Rescue steps later on in the process
    I'll post the the step, you'll post an picture of the Macrium screen,
    I'll echo same screen back if I see something that needs changing or I'll just say Go Ahead

When I confirm that the Macrium screen, you'll make any changes I've highlighted and THEN execute the step

Here's where you begin today's session, we'll get as far as we get and then pick up when you get back home.

Step 1: Safeguard the System Image by moving it to a new folder

1. Connect the Seagate exp drive

2. File Explorer: Navigate to the Seagate drive

3. Create a new Folder named 1_sysImage

4. Move WindowsImageBackup to 1_sysImage

Step 2: List the VHDs in the System Image

1. File Explorer: Navigate to 1_sysImage\WindowsImageBackup\machineName\Backup date-time

2. Press the Type column to sort by Type

3. Post a screen shot

Slartybart, Jan 4, 2020
  4. simrick Win User

Google redirection localhost.world

Guys, here is the solution, found in post #49.
    Please perform the steps indicated and advise if that resolves things for you as well.

Many thanks to @moraleja39 for the investigative work!

simrick, Jan 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Redirect a system file problem - Similar Threads - Redirect system file

2. Cannot upload file, this file contains system files error on Redirected My Documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot upload file, this file contains system files error on Redirected My Documents folder: Hi, Windows 10 and 11 users are receiving "cannot upload file, this file contains system files" error when attempting to upload Excel CSV files to Microsoft NAV. Files are located in their My Documents folder, which is being redirected to a 2016 Windows server using an...
  3. Cannot upload file, this file contains system files error on Redirected My Documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot upload file, this file contains system files error on Redirected My Documents folder: Hi, Windows 10 and 11 users are receiving "cannot upload file, this file contains system files" error when attempting to upload Excel CSV files to Microsoft NAV. Files are located in their My Documents folder, which is being redirected to a 2016 Windows server using an...
  4. Cannot upload file, this file contains system files error on Redirected My Documents folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. php redirect problem

php redirect problem: Guys, what am I doing wrong? The database "expiry" value is > 0 but I go to expiredpage.html. ======================================================== the code: <?php $link = mysqli_connect("localhost", "root", "", "numbersdb"); // Check connection if($link === false){...
  6. redirect to the receipt file

redirect to the receipt file: Hi, a little prob with code. I have a payment program and want to follow with the receipt. The following code is the receipt. 1) I've tried to redirect to the receipt file after payment. I have yet to achieve that. 2) I want the receipt# on the receipt. I swear, I'm trying...
  7. Redirecting files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Redirecting files: I'm using windows 10. I was checking over a problem in my PC. I redirected downloads folder to desktop by error. Now I want to fix it. But I can't do anything. Please help. I don't want to reset PC as I am using official version....
  8. Saving files to redirected folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Saving files to redirected folders: Good Morning; This relates to Windows 10. I've changed the location field in the properties dialog box from C:\Users\UserName\Documents (on ssd) to a new folder D:\Documents (on hdd). I feel a little silly to ask this but, which pathname do I use for saving documents? The one...
  9. File System Corruption Problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File System Corruption Problem: Hi sir/ma'am, My PC has been running slow during the past few days, sometimes it freezes that all of my apps are not moving, and then suddenly a BSOD shows up and says your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart with a error that says MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and many more...
  10. Redirect problems, edge not working

in Browsers and Email
    Redirect problems, edge not working: Hello. My Google Chrome keeps using Google custom search for its search in the omnibox. For cse google and not just the regular google. How do I fix this? Even when I type in google.com it still uses custom search after the search from the search box in google.com. I want...