Windows 10: Redirect DNS query based on IP

Discus and support Redirect DNS query based on IP in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi Everyone,I need help regarding the MS DNS server.I have 3 DNS servers in our organization. There are 2 groups in our environment, one is internal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SM_1990user, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Redirect DNS query based on IP

Hi Everyone,I need help regarding the MS DNS server.I have 3 DNS servers in our organization. There are 2 groups in our environment, one is internal user and other are guest and temporary users.Is there a way we can resolve queries based on IP. For example internal user queries should be redirect to one of the internal DNS server to resolve the query and guest/temporary users queries should be redirect to public DNS servers, lets say google DNS server for resolution.

:)

SM_1990user, Aug 6, 2022
  2. 1PW
    1PW Win User

Browser DNS querries-?

Hello @Chris77

I may be wrong but a slight hint of mildly objectionable old tracker/spyware may be suggested in the description you have provided so far. Many Internet users would prefer their devices refrained from "calling home" even years after the fact...

1. Please share the browser's name and its full/current version number of the one in question. Chrome or a derivative?
    2. Also, when that browser in question makes that DNS server query, is it the same DNS IP address value as in that computer's Windows' Network Connections setting?
    3. If you were to change that computer's Windows' DNS server IP setting, would the unknown browser in question DNS query follow?
    4. Regardless of that computer's Windows DNS server choice, will a possible gateway's/router's override setting take presedense over that of any device request on its LAN side?
    5. Concerning the gateway/router in use - is it ISP provided and you are disallowed from re-configuring?
    It would be most helpful, and appreciated, if you answered by number.

Thank you.

3. DNS problems with router

A couple suggestions I have for you:

Update the firmware on the router. Maybe it's getting into a badstate, and a firmware update might fix it. Or if you're comfortable with it, install a custom firmware like dd-wrt. Just make sure its supported on your router first.

Change your DNS to: 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.1. Might help.

If none of these work, maybe statically set your DNS on your PS3/PC to the IPs you listed, taking the router out of the lookup procedure.

Last option, is look for a new router.

Hybrid_theory, Aug 6, 2022
  4. Redirect DNS query based on IP

DNS Settings

This server seems to be the most unreliable, Good thing you used a secondary Server that is not the same company.
    DNS servers in Australia - List of Free Public Australia DNS Servers

It also seems they just redirect queries to OpenDNS you might as well just use opendns if this is true.

Digital Life, Aug 6, 2022
Thema:

Redirect DNS query based on IP

1. Redirect DNS query based on IP - Similar Threads - Redirect DNS query

2. Sysmon DNS Query Support

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sysmon DNS Query Support: I have been trying to generate Sysmon Event ID 22 DNS Query logs using the below xml format <Sysmon schemaversion="4.90"> <EventFiltering> <DnsQuery onmatch="exclude" /> </EventFiltering> </Sysmon> But type: 1 is not displayed for logs when I try to generate Type A DNS...
  3. Sysmon DNS Query Support

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sysmon DNS Query Support: I have been trying to generate Sysmon Event ID 22 DNS Query logs using the below xml format <Sysmon schemaversion="4.90"> <EventFiltering> <DnsQuery onmatch="exclude" /> </EventFiltering> </Sysmon>But I am only able to see logs with QueryResults: type: 5 and not any other...
  4. Sysmon DNS Query Support

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sysmon DNS Query Support: I have been trying to generate Sysmon Event ID 22 DNS Query logs using the below xml format <Sysmon schemaversion="4.90"> <EventFiltering> <DnsQuery onmatch="exclude" /> </EventFiltering> </Sysmon>But I am only able to see logs with QueryResults: type: 5 and not any other...
  5. Sysmon DNS Query Support

6. Active Directory DNS - Queries from different IP subnet.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Active Directory DNS - Queries from different IP subnet.: Hi, I have an active directory 172.16.44.0/23 with the DNS service active DNS 172.16.45.254, which works without problems, however if I create a new zone and try to resolve from another subnet 192.168.0.0/23 the error Non-Existen domain does not work. Using the same equipment...
  7. Active Directory DNS - Queries from different IP subnet.

Active Directory DNS - Queries from different IP subnet.: Hi, I have an active directory 172.16.44.0/23 with the DNS service active DNS 172.16.45.254, which works without problems, however if I create a new zone and try to resolve from another subnet 192.168.0.0/23 the error Non-Existen domain does not work. Using the same equipment...
  8. Redirect DNS query based on IP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Redirect DNS query based on IP: Hi Everyone,I need help regarding the MS DNS server.I have 3 DNS servers in our organization. There are 2 groups in our environment, one is internal user and other are guest and temporary users.Is there a way we can resolve queries based on IP. For example internal user...
  9. IP, DNS, confussion

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    IP, DNS, confussion: Why do I get a different ip address showing on different network scanner apps? I’ve looked up the addresses in Whois and all I’m getting back is this is a private address. I don’t understand how they differ from apps. Now DNS this just goes straight over my head. I just...
  10. MSMPENG.EXE - Dns Queries

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MSMPENG.EXE - Dns Queries: Hi, I am unable to find why in some cases the antimalware (MsMpEng.exe) is doing dns queries (event 22 in sysmon). This does not appear to be consistent. I entered a url in Chrome and Firefox, Sysmon event log showed that these processes were reaching out (through dns...