Windows 10: Redirecting files

Discus and support Redirecting files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm using windows 10. I was checking over a problem in my PC. I redirected downloads folder to desktop by error. Now I want to fix it. But I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Raghav., Mar 31, 2020.

1. Raghav. Win User

Redirecting files

I'm using windows 10.

I was checking over a problem in my PC.

I redirected downloads folder to desktop by error. Now I want to fix it.

But I can't do anything.

Please help.

I don't want to reset PC as I am using official version.

:)

Raghav., Mar 31, 2020
  2. dearnold Win User

Redirect a system file problem

Thank you, dalchina. I did use the location tab and I've done it many times over the years - so I wasn't following the tut and didn't use proper care by making a system backup first. Lesson learned (again)!

I'm not entirely sure how I did it, but it now appears to be fixed. I followed a suggestion in another thread that I happened on.
    the steps were:
    1. make a new downloads folder in the destination location of choice
    2. right click on the "wrong" shortcut - D:\ in my case & select Properties
    3. In the path field, simply change it to your preferred destination and click APPLY
    4. You'll get a request to confirm the redirection - click No
    5. Click OK in your D:\ window
    Restart.

After restarting, I opened File Explorer and the Downloads system folder seems to be where I want it - D:\DOWNLOADS
    I manually moved a few files into it.
    There are no error messages.
    It sounds to easy to actually be true, so I'm not publishing this to the world yet.

Berton, thanks for chiming in. Your solution certainly works, but I don't want to have to think about yet another "maintenance" step if I can possibly avoid it.

dearnold, Mar 31, 2020
  3. Ṣmeed Win User
    Ṣmeed, Mar 31, 2020
  4. Redirecting files

Redirecting website

Hi Pancho,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. Don’t worry. We will assist to resolve this issue.

It can be extremely frustrating if you are trying to visit a Web page but are automatically redirected to another. This tactic is sometimes used to as a way to direct your attention to an advertisement. Other times, a hacker may be trying to install
    spyware or malware on your computer.

It seems that your computer is infected by virus and malware. I would suggest you to run Full Virus Scan using
    Windows Defender.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/how-to-protect-your-windows-10-pc#v1h=tab01

Also if you are using Internet Explorer, I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Open the Internet Explorer browser and click on the "Tools" menu at the top of the page.

Step 2: Click on "Internet Options," then click the "Security" tab. In the "Security Level for this Zone" box, use the slider to set the security to "High." This stops Internet Explorer from using ActiveX, preventing Web
    pages from redirecting you to others. Although this stops the redirecting action, legitimate websites may not load properly, or at all. Some functions on websites become disabled, such as links to other websites, video or PDF files. This method is extreme,
    but it stops redirects while you scan the computer for viruses.

Step 3: Click on "Trusted Sites." Add any websites that you go to frequently and that you trust. These websites will behave as normal, without restrictions.

Step 4: Run anti-spyware or anti-malware software on your computer (see Resources). Redirects are often causes by a virus, which software can find and eliminate. If any viruses are found and deleted, this is likely to
    end the redirects you are experiencing.

Step 5: Go back to the "Internet Options" window, and set the security slider back to its initial position. If the anti-spyware program eliminated the source of the redirects, your browser now behaves normally.

Try the above step and let us know if it helps. For further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Mar 31, 2020
Thema:

Redirecting files

1. Redirecting files - Similar Threads - Redirecting files

2. Cannot upload file, this file contains system files error on Redirected My Documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot upload file, this file contains system files error on Redirected My Documents folder: Hi, Windows 10 and 11 users are receiving "cannot upload file, this file contains system files" error when attempting to upload Excel CSV files to Microsoft NAV. Files are located in their My Documents folder, which is being redirected to a 2016 Windows server using an...
  3. Cannot upload file, this file contains system files error on Redirected My Documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot upload file, this file contains system files error on Redirected My Documents folder: Hi, Windows 10 and 11 users are receiving "cannot upload file, this file contains system files" error when attempting to upload Excel CSV files to Microsoft NAV. Files are located in their My Documents folder, which is being redirected to a 2016 Windows server using an...
  4. Cannot upload file, this file contains system files error on Redirected My Documents folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. after onedrive destroyed every file on my computer, how do i stop it from redirecting every...

after onedrive destroyed every file on my computer, how do i stop it from redirecting every...: long story short, an uninstalled onedrive somehow re-installed itself, turned itself on, synced everything, and then when cleaning my actual onedrive folder it proceeded to also erase everything on my computer, making me lose years of project files, files, and images with no...
  6. after onedrive destroyed every file on my computer, how do i stop it from redirecting every...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    after onedrive destroyed every file on my computer, how do i stop it from redirecting every...: long story short, an uninstalled onedrive somehow re-installed itself, turned itself on, synced everything, and then when cleaning my actual onedrive folder it proceeded to also erase everything on my computer, making me lose years of project files, files, and images with no...
  7. after onedrive destroyed every file on my computer, how do i stop it from redirecting every...

8. Tried to move Music folder, now it redirects to the main user file and I can't change it back.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tried to move Music folder, now it redirects to the main user file and I can't change it back.: Hello.I was trying to move some of my folders around - my laptop has two drives, and one has significantly more space, so I wanted to move my Pictures and Music folders to the other drive. The Pictures one went perfectly, but when I tried to move the Music one, it didn't work...
  9. Tried to move Music folder, now it redirects to the main user file and I can't change it back.

Tried to move Music folder, now it redirects to the main user file and I can't change it back.: Hello.I was trying to move some of my folders around - my laptop has two drives, and one has significantly more space, so I wanted to move my Pictures and Music folders to the other drive. The Pictures one went perfectly, but when I tried to move the Music one, it didn't work...
  10. Domain file server and folder redirection user's recycle bin question

Domain file server and folder redirection user's recycle bin question: I have a site that we have folder redirection on the server and each domain user has a path to a recycle bin that shows up on their redirected Desktop folder Some of the folders are massive in size, 14 to 20 GB in size Is there some GPO setting that I can set or a utility or...