Windows 10: Reduce Windows size in HDD

Discus and support Reduce Windows size in HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi , sorry for my poor English. Windows is tkaing around 20GB on my PC, and my HDD is only 32GB has 8GB free. What and how can I reduce its size... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Adalwar, May 10, 2016.

1. Adalwar Win User

Reduce Windows size in HDD

Hi ,
    sorry for my poor English.

Windows is tkaing around 20GB on my PC, and my HDD is only 32GB has 8GB free.

What and how can I reduce its size to a minimum size?

:)

Adalwar, May 10, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Windows 10 no longer automatically reduces the size of a photo to attach in an email. WHY

The only way to reduce the size of a photo is to reduce the number of pixels in the image, which reduces the quality of the image. But when an image is visually smaller, you don't notice the degradation. Take a reduced size image and compare it to the original
    when both are at the same size visually, e.g. both are 4x6 or 5x7 and you'll notice the difference.

Therefore, if you're reducing a photo to include it in an email or a Word document, for example, make sure to reduce a
    copy of the original photo. If you reduce the original, it's reduced forever.

Someone had to tell the software how much in size to reduce the picture (e.g., 75%, 50%.) Windows can't make that decision on its own. If you don't recall telling the software what size to use, it was probably using a default value programmed by the developer.

Going forward, attaching a photo to an email just to get it reduced in size is a convoluted method, no? No need for that when there are so many good (and free) photo resizers available for download. Just be sure that when you install a photo resizer, that's
    the only thing you're getting, i.e., no viruses or add-on programs you didn't ask for.

BulldogXX, May 10, 2016
  3. reduce size

You could download and install IrfanView (free).

Frederik Long, May 10, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Bear in mind that Windows creates a copy of the Windows folder when either
    - there's a major upgrade build
    - you do an in-place upgrade install repair

That is, you need 20Gb free for that.

That begs the question as to where you put your personal data and installed programs.

It is possible to shrink windows significantly- hopefully someone who's familiar with that may help- I've only read about it in passing.

Is that a SSD and do you have another disk in your laptop?

dalchina, May 10, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, May 10, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, May 10, 2016
  7. Adalwar Win User
    Thank you .
    Sorry for my mistake, it is a eMMC storage not a "real" HDD.
    I can not upgrade, neither use more than 32GB SD-CARD.

@NaviLCDR - Thank you for the info. Disk Cleanup I use it since ages regulary.
    Good point that with "Compression", I will try it.

Adalwar, May 10, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Windows 10 uses a compressed OS on tablets. By default it is normally on.

From an admin command prompt, type

Compact.exe /CompactOS:query

Windows 10 Feature Focus: CompactOS

When you run disk cleanup, select to delete old system files, and tick all boxes in popup list.

Assuming you can put an sd card in, you can change your user directories, and apps to use sd card (settings, sytem, storage).

cereberus, May 10, 2016
  9. Adalwar Win User
    Hi cereberus,
    Thank you.
    I cheked it with the CompactOS and is enabled.
    I did clean the Drice C: and there not that much to win.
    I there a way to uninstall Windows Native App´s. This is a very small laptop and space is required and I do not need / use a lot of that App´s

Adalwar, May 17, 2016
  10. But do you use the full one or the standard one?
    cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

To decresse size of WinSxS's folder:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

To remove all system restore points (disable system restore completely, if you do not use it)
    vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /all /quiet

Additionally, you can use CCleaner + WiseCare, to free a few more hundreds MBs, like those 3 settings:

TairikuOkami, May 17, 2016
  11. badrobot Win User
    Make sure to move your library folder location to a different storage drive if you have any. Don't save your data on the same drive as the OS.
    I have an ASUS T-100 10" Windows tablet and as much as possible, I use portable apps instead of full programs that requires installation.

badrobot, May 17, 2016
  12. Berton Win User
    I have a Dell Venue 8 8" tablet that came with Win8.1 and now has Win10. It came with a 32GB SSD/Solid State Drive and used about 19GB of the space so I added a 64-bit MicroSDXC card for storage, probably will get a 128GB when prices drop a bit more. To save space I installed LibreOffice instead of Microsoft Office, not only free but a smaller footprint.

Berton, May 17, 2016
  13. EdTittel Win User

You should also see if there are duplicate drivers you can eliminate from your DriverStore folder. I recommend the MS Codeplex project (free, open source software) tool named RAPR.exe aka DriverStore Explorer. If you've updated drivers and your current config is stable, you can often free up 2-5 GB of disk space by flushing out obsolete, no-longer-used drivers. I've written about this repeatedly for publication. Here's a link to a story I wrote last year for CIO.com entitled "How to reduce unnecessary drivers in Windows 10." HTH and good luck with your pruning efforts!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 17, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Thanks for this, Ed. I'm going to check this out on my 32gb tablet and stick computers!

NavyLCDR, May 17, 2016
  15. EdTittel Win User
    You're welcome, sir! If you hit any snags, feel free to reach out to me direct. You can contact me through my website at Contact | Ed Tittel. Happy to help, if help is needed: you've already done so much to help others!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Reduce Windows size in HDD - Similar Threads - Reduce size HDD

2. How to reduce the size of window?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reduce the size of window?: How to reduce or increase the size of a window. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reduce-the-size-of-window/10a2b5df-c51c-478a-99a5-6bd6dd27bf61
  3. How to reduce the size of window?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reduce the size of window?: How to reduce or increase the size of a window. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reduce-the-size-of-window/10a2b5df-c51c-478a-99a5-6bd6dd27bf61
  4. Reduce Font Size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reduce Font Size: The Dropbox app changed the icon spacing and the general font size. I fixed the icon spacing, but the new font size is huge compared to what it was before installing Dropbox. This makes the applications look terrible. How do I decrease the Windows 10 font size?...
  5. Reduce Font Size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reduce Font Size: The Dropbox app changed the icon spacing and the general font size. I fixed the icon spacing, but the new font size is huge compared to what it was before installing Dropbox. This makes the applications look terrible. How do I decrease the Windows 10 font size?...
  6. Reduce Font Size

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Reduce notifications size

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reduce notifications size: Is there a way to make notifications smaller on Windows 10? submitted by /u/slitzzzz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jf39el/reduce_notifications_size/
  8. Reduce size of text

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Reduce size of text: How do I reduce size of text before printing. HP ENVY 4502 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reduce-size-of-text/b19a922f-8742-4553-9b3f-9caa49fe2543
  9. Reducing Scan Size

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Reducing Scan Size: I trying to reduce the size of a picture to scan in my Brother MFC-440CN. Anyone know how to do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reducing-scan-size/8a103d33-d6f4-4e23-960f-3dd8ea8c3a34
  10. Unable to reduce size of app window

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to reduce size of app window: I am using Internet explorer 11 with Windows 10 pro 64 bit. I am referring to the controls in the upper right corner of the webpage window (the minus sign, the overlapping squares and the "X" symbols). The minus sign and the X do what they are supposed to do. The...