Windows 10: Reducing file size of all files in a folder to 1 byte

Discus and support Reducing file size of all files in a folder to 1 byte in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What I need is a tool which will turn all my jpg files in a download folder to 1 byte files easily. I have thousands of files. I've already copied them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stub, Mar 15, 2020.

1. stub Win User

Reducing file size of all files in a folder to 1 byte

What I need is a tool which will turn all my jpg files in a download folder to 1 byte files easily. I have thousands of files. I've already copied them where they need to be. So this download folder is purely for preventing the download of the same file more than once, and to reduce the storage space to a minimum. It also coincidentally is also a quick reference to any new downloads. The one's with real file sizes. I've looked high and low to find a tool to do this. But until now. No success. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

2. stub Win User

Creating Zero Byte Files of a folder of large sized files

Hang onto your hats. This is going to be a bumpy ride.

I understand where the OP is coming from. I also want to download large graphics files, on maybe a daily basis, and store them in a folder, and I want the presence of the zero byte files to prevent a download to this folder with the same name, but to download with the next available increment. For example. I might have filename.jpg and filename (1).jpg etc. So the next download of a filename.jpg or filename (1).jpg to be downloaded as filename (2).jpg.

As an aside. I think that is how both File Explorer and Filezilla function. If I'm not mistaken.

Then I want to visually compare the files which are not zero byte in this download folder with the filename*.jpg in my master folder of full size filenames, and if I have that picture already, to simply delete the filename in the download folder, or if I don't have the picture to copy it to my master folder of full size filenames, and then zero byte that file in my download folder.

Now I'm not an expert with Windows, so this structure might be achieved with some alternative better structuring. Why not compare the filename and size to be downloaded with a list of this filename*.jpg in my master folder of full size filenames, and if there is a file of the exact same size, to abort the filename download. If not, then to download to the zero byte folder, as described above. Now why to do this? It will prevent many unnecessary processing of files in the download files, and therefore less manual processing by me. This only exacerbates with the more files I store. Currently around 5K of files. By having the list of zero byte files in the download folder is only a tool in this process, but having these filenames with an without sizes, it is easy to see which files require further processing. These could be 1byte in size if it makes things easier in any way, like when deleting files etc.

Now I'm open to any questions or clarifications on what I'm trying to automate.

3. folder should display with size in bytes and numbers of Items and numbers of files inside it.

In Windows try to display Folder with size in bytes and numbers of Items and numbers of files inside it. So that we can know which folder is contain more bytes. Even sub folder also display size, items and files numbers. It will be easy to find folders
    and files to delete which are big in size.

Mohammed Naeem Shaikh, Mar 15, 2020
  4. psyko12 Win User

Page File

Set minimum and maximum to a constant number as suggested by others, that will help reduce fragmentation on the drive coz of different page file sizing.

psyko12, Mar 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Reducing file size of all files in a folder to 1 byte - Similar Threads - Reducing file size

2. Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage: Hello, Is there anyway to reduce the System Files and Reserved storage size? My 256 GB SSD drive is currently full. I checked my storage settings, and it turns out System & Reserved storage is taking up a big chunk of it - maybe larger than it should. I've tried running the...
  3. Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage: Hello, Is there anyway to reduce the System Files and Reserved storage size? My 256 GB SSD drive is currently full. I checked my storage settings, and it turns out System & Reserved storage is taking up a big chunk of it - maybe larger than it should. I've tried running the...
  4. Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Reducing the file size glb

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reducing the file size glb: Hello, I am very new to 3D work. I started creating some designs for one project that required 3D files with max 20MB size. Almost all designs I make end up being larger than this. I tried reducing the canvas size but this didn't work. What worked seems to be reducing the...
  6. File History shows backup size as 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History shows backup size as 0 bytes: Hi, I am currently trying to use File History to backup my files. When I click "Back Up Now" it shows the file size as 0 bytes and nothing happens even though it says "Backing Up". I'm not sure what is going on but I would appreciate any help. Thanks. submitted by...
  7. Reduce the size of the WinSxS folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Reduce the size of the WinSxS folder: Good morning, In Windows 10 Home in partition C in the Windows folder there is a folder named WinSxS where it has many files. Please be nice to tell me how I could reduce the space (size) of this folder. Wait for response! A good day!...
  8. How to zero size all files in a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How to zero size all files in a folder: How to zero size all files in a specific folder. And then continuing on, how do I zero any new files placed in that folder in the future. 110727
  9. NTFS File: "Size 0 bytes" but "Size On Disk 3.98 GB (4,282,056,704)"

in Windows 10 Support
    NTFS File: "Size 0 bytes" but "Size On Disk 3.98 GB (4,282,056,704)": I accidentally created a video file that had a colon in its file name. The command line utility that I used to create the video happily created the file without complaining, BUT now the filename became everything before the colon (not an issue) and the file itself is...
  10. File size not reducing when changing image size

in Windows 10 Support
    File size not reducing when changing image size: I have a 16 mg image, 4500x3000. I resized all the way down to 100x100 and the file size won't change from 12.4 or so. This is true for all photos in a certain file I downloaded from online. They are appliance products. I tried downloading a random, even larger image from...