Windows 10: Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage

Discus and support Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello, Is there anyway to reduce the System Files and Reserved storage size? My 256 GB SSD drive is currently full. I checked my storage settings, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Fishtail7, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Fishtail7 Win User

Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage

Hello, Is there anyway to reduce the System Files and Reserved storage size? My 256 GB SSD drive is currently full. I checked my storage settings, and it turns out System & Reserved storage is taking up a big chunk of it - maybe larger than it should. I've tried running the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool and then the System File Checker tool, and it didn't help at all. I used the following documentation: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094eMy C:\Windows fol

:)

Fishtail7, Jan 26, 2022
  2. dalchina Win User

Storage reserved for Windows Update

Starting from here:
    What’s New In Windows 10 Version 1903 May 2019 Update
    Reduce Reserved Storage Size in Windows 10
    Find Reserved Storage Size in Windows 10
    Enable or Disable Reserved Storage in Windows 10

So you can see it can be disabled, and is not necessarily a fixed 7Gb. But of course we don't have the final release yet- that's expected in May.

Further, Brink has produced these:
    Enable or Disable Reserved Storage for Windows Update in Windows 10 | Tutorials
    Check Reserved Storage Size for Windows Update in Windows 10 | Tutorials

dalchina, Jan 26, 2022
  3. locked Win User
    Storage showing as double the actual SSD size

Running Windows 10 Home 20H2 (Build 19042.964) on an AMD based Windows Surface Laptop 4 with 512GB SSD.

Even though it has a 512GB SDD as confirmed by both disk management and file explorer, settings -> system -> Storage reports the size as 951GB! I have searched but struggling to discover how to get it to report the real size.

Per the image below it shows
    • 553GB used - bigger than the size of the SDD
      519GB in system & reserved

Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage [​IMG]

System and reserved breaks down per this screenshot

Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage [​IMG]

Have tried various options including disk cleanup, SFC and DSIM to get it to report the correct size but to no avail. Any suggestions on how to correct this much appreciated?

locked, Jan 26, 2022
  4. Remon Ont Win User

System & Reserved almost full?

Thank you for the information and posting back.

High System & Reserved memory usage could be due to the following:

• High Windows.old file(s) size
    • Large cache of trace files size
    • Windows 10 system file issues

We would like to know some information to better isolate the issue:

• Do you have a C:\windows.old folder on your C: drive?
    • Which Windows version and build are you using? Type winver on search box and press
      Enter.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Can you post a screenshot of what is inside the System & reserved storage? Double-click System & reserved. See picture below for reference.

Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage 3b68d058-4ea9-4b39-874f-7885d566e601.png

We will wait for your response.

Remon Ont, Jan 26, 2022
Thema:

1. Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage - Similar Threads - Reducing size System

2. System & reserved storage + Browser Hijacking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System & reserved storage + Browser Hijacking: Every once in a while I go to my settings app and check my storage. Today when I went to check, my storage had jumped up to 210 GB after I had recently brought it down I don't remember the exact number. I only had 6.11 GB free. I went to check what was taking up so much...
  3. System Reserve Partition and Storage Settings

System Reserve Partition and Storage Settings: Hey Community,I was reviewing my laptop from work and I notice a couple issues with the System Reserved files section. It is showing 41GB as the system & Reserved. I was under the impression that the system reserve only needed 500 MB.I then went to my disk management to check...
  4. System Reserve Partition and Storage Settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Reserve Partition and Storage Settings: Hey Community,I was reviewing my laptop from work and I notice a couple issues with the System Reserved files section. It is showing 41GB as the system & Reserved. I was under the impression that the system reserve only needed 500 MB.I then went to my disk management to check...
  5. Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage

Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage: Hello, Is there anyway to reduce the System Files and Reserved storage size? My 256 GB SSD drive is currently full. I checked my storage settings, and it turns out System & Reserved storage is taking up a big chunk of it - maybe larger than it should. I've tried running the...
  6. Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage

Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage: Hello, Is there anyway to reduce the System Files and Reserved storage size? My 256 GB SSD drive is currently full. I checked my storage settings, and it turns out System & Reserved storage is taking up a big chunk of it - maybe larger than it should. I've tried running the...
  7. Reducing the file size glb

Reducing the file size glb: Hello, I am very new to 3D work. I started creating some designs for one project that required 3D files with max 20MB size. Almost all designs I make end up being larger than this. I tried reducing the canvas size but this didn't work. What worked seems to be reducing the...
  8. "System Files" & System and Reserved eating storage space

"System Files" & System and Reserved eating storage space: Hi there, I have a question about my brand newly bought HP stream laptop. I bought this about a week ago and around two days ago I got a notification that I was low on storage. This alarmed me because I hadn't downloaded anything onto here. ANYTHING. So, I checked it out and...
  9. System reserved file size 50 MB only

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System reserved file size 50 MB only: Dear Microsoft community Today I clean installed windows 10 from USB on my hp probook. As a result, the system reserved drive created was only 50 MB. On the contrary, every where it says that it should be 550 MB. What is the problem and how to fix it? Looking forward for...
  10. Reserved Storage took more storage than System Files

Reserved Storage took more storage than System Files: So I've finished installing Windows 10 version 1903, To see that I only have 5 GB left on my SSD. (It's a 32 GB SSD.) So I've figured it was only Windows Update files. So I ran Disk Cleanup. After I ran Disk Cleanup, I only have 9 GB. Now I wanted to see what was going on. I...