Windows 10: Reference by pointer error

Discus and support Reference by pointer error in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Good evening, I have been getting the error Reference By Pointer on a blue screen, then the system reboots. I can provide a minidump file, would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Vicki3659, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Vicki3659 Win User

Reference by pointer error

Good evening,

I have been getting the error Reference By Pointer on a blue screen, then the system reboots. I can provide a minidump file, would someone be able to assist?

Thanks,

Vickster3659

:)

Vicki3659, Feb 24, 2019

2. Pointers

Points are simply a value (address) that "points" to a value. It has no extra information about what it is pointing to (hence the danger). When using arrays/indexers, the operating system knows this is a collection that is this long and is of this type. Any operation that steps outside of those constraints is caught and handled. On the other hand, if a pointer so much as points to the wrong address, all the values will subsequently be wrong.

Pointers are faster but more risky.

FordGT90Concept, Feb 24, 2019
  3. Pointers

Incrementing a pointer is a...

address += sizeof(type)

...operation. If the type is incorrect for the data contained, it will encounter all kinds of logical errors.

The compiler takes care of incrementing a pointer--it's one of the few tasks that are indrectly managed in dealing with pointers.

FordGT90Concept, Feb 24, 2019
  4. Reference by pointer error

Mouse Pointer

Hi,

You can customize your mouse in a variety of ways in Windows. To change how your mouse pointer looks, you can follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the Start menu, then click Control Panel.
    • Select Mouse, then go to the Pointers tab.
    • Select the pointer you prefer from the drop-down list, click
      Apply > OK.

If you want to use a pointer that is not on the list, you can download it online. After that, go to Control Panel > Mouse > Pointers tab again, then click
    Browse.

Update us if it addressed your issue.

Angela Pun, Feb 24, 2019
Thema:

Reference by pointer error

1. Reference by pointer error - Similar Threads - Reference pointer error

2. Reference by pointer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reference by pointer: I have just had a Bluescreen of shutdown with stop code Reference By Pointer. and this hasn't happened for the first time. How can I fix it? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated....
  3. Reference by pointer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Reference by pointer: hi, my laptop started BSOD every 30-40 minutes. i have run windows update and update my driver and still BSOD and i dont know the problem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reference-by-pointer/ba9c16ff-b1a8-4676-82a0-be581d02830e
  4. Reference by Pointer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Reference by Pointer: I have had the blue screen emerge several times with the 'Reference by Pointer' Stop code. I have zipped my minidump files and are sharing them here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6x5ywofdjdb3nq9/minidump.zip?dl=0Any help is appreciated to understand why this is happening!...
  5. Reference by Pointer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reference by Pointer: I have had the blue screen emerge several times with the 'Reference by Pointer' Stop code. I have zipped my minidump files and are sharing them here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6x5ywofdjdb3nq9/minidump.zip?dl=0Any help is appreciated to understand why this is happening!...
  6. Reference by Pointer Error

Reference by Pointer Error: I have been constantly getting the Reference By Pointer BSOD. I've updated all that I can, ran every diagnostics that the internet refers to, which have all came back fine, and have even opened and read the dump file, although I'm not well-versed in them, so I'm not sure what...
  7. Reference By Pointer Error

Reference By Pointer Error: Hi, my name is Nemo. I got a new surface pro 7 on Nov.28th, and I got the blue screen error every time I turn on my device since I bought it. The blue screen will not appear if I try to reboot the surface pro 7. For every time after I power off my device for a few hours,...
  8. Reference by pointer error

Reference by pointer error: Hi all, Have been getting BSOD sporadically for the past 2 months. This is especially troubling as my device is new (just bought it in September). I have uploaded a picture of the BSOD, as well as minidump file and my system information file. I have not installed any...
  9. Reference by Pointer Error

Reference by Pointer Error: Hallo, after like 4 Hours that i did many Updates after one month in vecation laptop at home (win 10) everything started to be strange, Firefox closes alone and then suddenly it turned off alone and Show me since then blue Screen A stop code called: Reference By Pointer....
  10. Error Caused by Reference by pointer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error Caused by Reference by pointer: My PC is a Gaming PC , I play approx for like 3 to 4 hrs during the weekends. Recently , my laptop shows this BSOD due to Reference by pointer ,i wanna know the reason why this happens , it has happened for 4 to 5 times in the last two months . my laptop is 15 months old ....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reference_by_pointer windows 10

2. reference by pointer error

3. installing google chrome crashes REFERENCE_BY_POINTER