Windows 10: Reflect 7.3 (free) Boot Menu Option Fails

Discus and support Reflect 7.3 (free) Boot Menu Option Fails in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Win10, Ver 2004, Build 19041.572 Reflect 7.3 Build 5321 Problem: Select Boot Menu option to restore image vs. continue to Windows 10. Once selected... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by markg2, Nov 5, 2020.

1. markg2 Win User

Reflect 7.3 (free) Boot Menu Option Fails

Win10, Ver 2004, Build 19041.572
    Reflect 7.3 Build 5321

Problem: Select Boot Menu option to restore image vs. continue to Windows 10. Once selected and restore process commences (progress bar), the progress bar stops at ~1/4 the way. This has happened repeatedly at least for the last year. I haven't looked into it--easier to just to carry on and boot from USB. After occurrence/failure last week, finally time to figure out the problem.

I've had this 'unable to boot using boot menu option at least through 2 disk restores, at least 3 major Win10 updates and Macrium updates (I'm always using the most current version).

I think the only move not done is an uninstall/reinstall of Reflect. Before I do this I'm checking here so I don't waste my time going in the wrong direction.

Suggestions?

Mark

:)

markg2, Nov 5, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Update Macrium Reflect Boot Menu Option?

You should always create a new rescue media when you have updated Macrium. In doing so also the WinPE files for Macrium Rescue will be updated (files in %programdata%\Macrium folder). In this case the boot menu entry does not need to be edited when Macrium is updated.

The easiest way to remove all entries, including Macrium, from boot menu is to boot the PC to Macrium Recovery Console and select Fix Windows boot problems:

Reflect 7.3 (free) Boot Menu Option Fails [​IMG]

Accept all prompts:

Boot menu is gone and PC boots now directly to Windows.

You can manually edit the boot menu in an Elevated Command Prompt with command bcdedit. Here some commands to modify boot menu:
    • bcdedit
      • list all boot entries
    • bcdedit /delete {Boot Entry Identifier}
      • Removes the selected entry from Boot Menu
    • bcdedit /set {Boot Entry Identifier} description "Any Name"
      • Sets the name of selected entry in Boot Menu to your chosen one, instead of for instance having two entries named Windows 10, you can name them as Windows 10 Pro on HDD and Windows 10 Home on VHD
      • New name (description) needs to be in quotes if it contains spaces
    • bcdedit /default {Boot Entry Identifier}
      • Sets the selected entry as default OS which will be automatically started when countdown reaches 0

An example. Here I wanted to change the name of the Macrium Reflect System Recovery entry in my boot menu to simple and short Macrium (highlighted blue). For that I need to use it's identifier (highlighted yellow):

Checking with plain bcdedit command I can see the name (description) has been changed:

Notice that the identifier is a 128 bit (32 hexa digits) GUID, with two exceptions: the current OS, the one you are using at the moment is always identified as {current}, and the OS set to be default is identified as {default}. If {current} is also {default}, then all other entries except {current} have the 32 digit GUID.

See these tutorials on our sister site Seven Forums for more bcdedit info:

Kari, Nov 5, 2020
  3. Cliff S Win User
    Cliff S, Nov 5, 2020
  4. Steve C Win User

Update Macrium Reflect Boot Menu Option?

About a year ago, I added a Macrium Reflect boot menu option but have never needed to use it. There have been several Reflect updates since then. Do I need to do anything to update this boot menu option? Also, how do you remove the boot menu option?

Steve C, Nov 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Reflect 7.3 (free) Boot Menu Option Fails - Similar Threads - Reflect free Boot

2. Macrium Reflect Free for Failed HDD Mirroring

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect Free for Failed HDD Mirroring: I have reactivated a main drive from my failed machine. I want to mirror the critical files on that drive. I think I have a handle on the partitions, as I show below. My question is...is there a need to mirror any other / or all the other partitions besides then the G:...
  3. Marrium Reflect Free for Failed HDD Mirroring

in Windows 10 Support
    Marrium Reflect Free for Failed HDD Mirroring: I have reactivated a main drive from my failed machine. I want to mirror the critical files on that drive. I think I have a handle on the partitions, as I show below. My question is...is there a need to mirror any other / or all the other partitions besides then the G:...
  4. Macrium Reflect Free 7 64-bit rescue USB drive won't boot

Macrium Reflect Free 7 64-bit rescue USB drive won't boot: I have an old Thinkpad SL510. I did a clean install of Windows 10 on it. I installed Macrium Reflect 7 Free and did a image backup. I also created a rescue USB drive. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to boot into this 64-bit USB rescue drive. I had created a...
  5. Version 7 of Macrium Reflect Free

Version 7 of Macrium Reflect Free: On the Macrium Reflect Forums, they state that Macrium Reflect Free Version 7 will be available by end of June. 85239
  6. Macrium Reflect boot menu option

Macrium Reflect boot menu option: Hi, recently started using Reflect, moving away from TrueImage. I'm pretty happy with it so far, except for the outlandish price (yea, I know, free version fine for most but I like to password protect my images). I notice there's an option to put the recovery on the boot...
  7. Macrium reflect free

Macrium reflect free: Now it will not reinstall saying it cannot find the target I am going to run sfc then dism
  8. Macrum reflect free clone failed.

Macrum reflect free clone failed.: Hi everyone. I've previously had no problems with Macron reflect either imaging or cloning my 2Tb HD, but these last few days I've had an error when cloning - broken pipe. The only thing different from last time I cloned is I had to use DISM to repair a problem,...
  9. Update Macrium Reflect Boot Menu Option?

Update Macrium Reflect Boot Menu Option?: About a year ago, I added a Macrium Reflect boot menu option but have never needed to use it. There have been several Reflect updates since then. Do I need to do anything to update this boot menu option? Also, how do you remove the boot menu option? 64087
  10. Macrium Reflect 6 free USB boot question

Macrium Reflect 6 free USB boot question: Hi All, I made a Macrium Reflect 6 free version boot USB drive and thought I would put it in to make sure it worked. I get two Kinston USB drive boot options, which one should I use to boot up with? Thanks [img] 26068