Windows 10: Reformatting external hard drive for windows 10

Discus and support Reformatting external hard drive for windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm being told to reformat my external hard drive to be compatible with windows 10....how do I do it without losing my files on the external hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JohnO'Malley4, May 18, 2020.

1. Reformatting external hard drive for windows 10

I'm being told to reformat my external hard drive to be compatible with windows 10....how do I do it without losing my files on the external hard drive

:)

JohnO'Malley4, May 18, 2020
  2. TracyDix Win User

Reformatting Hard Drives.

I am in the process of backing up my entire PC to an external hard drive including a system image. After backing up I want to reformat my existing internal hard drive that contains the windows 10 operating system. My question is: Can I reinstall windows
    10 after I have reformatted the hard drive ?

TracyDix, May 18, 2020
  3. Reformatting Hard Drives.

my personal file dlete

amirsohel sk, May 18, 2020
  4. Marco Gav Win User

Reformatting external hard drive for windows 10

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, May 18, 2020
Thema:

Reformatting external hard drive for windows 10

1. Reformatting external hard drive for windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reformatting external hard

2. reformat external hard drive that is not showing up in Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reformat external hard drive that is not showing up in Windows: I have a Sonnics external hard drive that I wish to reformat, but it isn't showing up in File Explorer. It shows up in file explorer, I have tried the steps of deleting the drivers and rebooting, but it doesn't work.Is there a way i can reformat the drive without it appearing...
  3. reformat external hard drive that is not showing up in Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    reformat external hard drive that is not showing up in Windows: I have a Sonnics external hard drive that I wish to reformat, but it isn't showing up in File Explorer. It shows up in file explorer, I have tried the steps of deleting the drivers and rebooting, but it doesn't work.Is there a way i can reformat the drive without it appearing...
  4. Accidently reformatted hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidently reformatted hard drive: How can I re-install Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidently-reformatted-hard-drive/6ec8bc4d-6d70-43e8-8689-d1688888aa80
  5. Accidently reformatted hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accidently reformatted hard drive: How can I re-install Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidently-reformatted-hard-drive/6ec8bc4d-6d70-43e8-8689-d1688888aa80
  6. Accidently reformatted hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Reformatting A Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reformatting A Hard Drive: I have an issue with a hard driveIt needs do be reformatted buy its on read only but but I cant set it to read only thehard drive was used so i tried to change the setting of security. It greyed out...
  8. reformatting my hard drive

reformatting my hard drive: Previous old answers to this question did not answer how to format and wipe a hard drive in order to completely reload a PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reformatting-my-hard-drive/92a215f1-7444-4a89-bca4-e11b8146e1b8
  9. 2 partitions external hard drive need to reformat.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2 partitions external hard drive need to reformat.: I have an external Hard Drive 500GB, it was formatted into 2 partitions. I have done backup of the contents, then I thought I need to format it to a one hard disk. I did delete the 2 partitions in "computer management". Later this hard drive did not show on "This PC" and can...
  10. Reformatting Hard Drives.

Reformatting Hard Drives.: I am in the process of backing up my entire PC to an external hard drive including a system image. After backing up I want to reformat my existing internal hard drive that contains the windows 10 operating system. My question is: Can I reinstall windows 10 after I have...