Windows 10: Reformatting SSD and not HD

Discus and support Reformatting SSD and not HD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello there! I have an MSI Laptop with a 128gb SSD and a 500gb HD. I have windows installed on my SSD and personal files on my HD. But now my SSD is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ProxCor3, Dec 11, 2018.

1. ProxCor3 Win User

Reformatting SSD and not HD

Hello there!

I have an MSI Laptop with a 128gb SSD and a 500gb HD.

I have windows installed on my SSD and personal files on my HD. But now my SSD is almost full i wish to format it / reinstall windows 10 on it for a fresh start, but without losing the data on my HD.

I have been using Mac OSX for the past ten and am very out of touch of windows.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this would be awesome.

Many thanks.

Alex

:)

ProxCor3, Dec 11, 2018
  2. Carlo Fer Win User

wed can reformatting ssd

Hello Allen,

It seems that you're SSD is in a read-only state. Read-only is the same as write-protected.

As an initial troubleshooting, I suggest that you follow the steps provided by Angela Pun which helped a lot of community members in this
    thread.
    Make sure to select the SSD drive.

If the issue still persists, please follow these steps on how to format a write-protected SSD using Command Prompt.

1. Press the Windows key + R. A run dialog box will open.
    2. Type CMD then press Enter.
    3. Type diskpart
    4. Type list volume
    5. Type select volume # ( # is the number of USB HDD you've plugged in)
    6. Type attributes disk clear
      read-only
    7. Type clean

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the troubleshooting steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Carlo Fer, Dec 12, 2018
  3. Recover or Reformat?

The reformat won't budge?

I did what you said and then was told to remove the CD from the CD-Rom Drive, put in the recovery CD and then press the 'OK' button to continue

So I changed to the next disk but the OK doesn't appear to be being 'pressed'. Yes I have pushed enter on the keyboard which is what I have been using to get me through the other steps..

Any suggestions?

Kymberly_S, Dec 12, 2018
  4. Reformatting SSD and not HD

wed can reformatting ssd

how do I reformat an ssd that seems to be set as write protected?

AllenPattison1, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

Reformatting SSD and not HD

1. Reformatting SSD and not HD - Similar Threads - Reformatting SSD

2. Re-using Microsoft Windows CD key after reformatting Boot SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re-using Microsoft Windows CD key after reformatting Boot SSD: Hi,I would like to know if I can reuse the same CD and CDkey to install Windows OS after reformatting my Boot SSD.Thank you in advance.CheersTanner https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-using-microsoft-windows-cd-key-after/312e8484-5867-488c-be71-1176855050d5
  3. Re-using Microsoft Windows CD key after reformatting Boot SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-using Microsoft Windows CD key after reformatting Boot SSD: Hi,I would like to know if I can reuse the same CD and CDkey to install Windows OS after reformatting my Boot SSD.Thank you in advance.CheersTanner https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-using-microsoft-windows-cd-key-after/312e8484-5867-488c-be71-1176855050d5
  4. Re-using Microsoft Windows CD key after reformatting Boot SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. HDD and SSD are STILL running at 100% usage even after a full reformat

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDD and SSD are STILL running at 100% usage even after a full reformat: My HDD and SSD were running fine last year and could handle the tasks with no problem, I use my 1TB Baracuda HDD for games, apps. DAWs, and other stuff, my Kingston 120 SSD is used for running windows and some browsers. but ever since last 7 months ago, my HDD all of a sudden...
  6. HDD and SSD are STILL running at 100% usage even after a full reformat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD and SSD are STILL running at 100% usage even after a full reformat: My HDD and SSD were running fine last year and could handle the tasks with no problem, I use my 1TB Baracuda HDD for games, apps. DAWs, and other stuff, my Kingston 120 SSD is used for running windows and some browsers. but ever since last 7 months ago, my HDD all of a sudden...
  7. HDD and SSD are STILL running at 100% usage even after a full reformat

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Problem reformatting external SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem reformatting external SSD: Just got a Samsung T5 portable 2-TB SSD. Ran the included software, moved some files onto it, and went to bed. Realized this AM I'd forgotten to record the password. The files weren't that important, so I thought I'd just reformat the SSD. But Windows reports it will format...
  9. How can I reinstall Windows 10 or at least fix/reformat my m.2 SSD driver?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I reinstall Windows 10 or at least fix/reformat my m.2 SSD driver?: So two days ago my Windows 10 laptop got an update from MS. After shutting down the pc and turning it back on I only got a black screen. The manufacturer logos shows up, with white dots going on in a circle but after that windows fails lo load and I can't get to go into...
  10. W10 Reformat/Install on New SSD Help Requested

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Reformat/Install on New SSD Help Requested: Hi guys. I got my Stimulus money yesterday in my Bank Account, and placed order for 2 2TB Samsung Evo Plus 970 SSD's. They should both arrive this Wednesday. Here is my situation: I have an MSI GT75 Laptop, that has 3 SSD slots. Currently, the slots have 2 1TB Samsung Evo...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. have windows on ssd and cant reformat