Windows 10: Reformatting upgraded Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Reformatting upgraded Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; If I were to reformat a Windows 10 Pro, which is upgraded from a Windows 10 Home (provided by manufacturer) through Windows Store, will it return back... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kunkun, May 17, 2016.

1. kunkun Win User

Reformatting upgraded Windows 10 Pro

If I were to reformat a Windows 10 Pro, which is upgraded from a Windows 10 Home (provided by manufacturer) through Windows Store, will it return back to Windows 10 Home? Or will it stay on Windows 10 Pro?

:)

kunkun, May 17, 2016
  2. Asesh Win User

Upgrade Windows 10 Home (OEM) to Windows 10 Pro RTM

I just contacted Microsoft and they told me you will need to contact your Manufacturer for retail key to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 OEM. So basically that means I can't upgrade from Windows 10 OEM to Windows 10 Pro RTM. Yes, they are aware.
    So I will reformat and install Windows 10 Pro. Thanks

Asesh, May 17, 2016
  3. 3d-efex Win User
    upgraded to windows 10 pro from 8.1 pro

my question is i upgraded my windows 8.1 pro to windows 10 pro but had to reformat hard drive because had to.

so i installed windows 8.1 pro back because i have cd, so i lost 10 can i download it back as a free upgrade again?thx in advance

3d-efex, May 17, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

If you mean doing a clean install of Windows 10, it will by default install the version of the product key it finds in Bios, which is Home. To override that put the Windows 10 Pro generic product key in a PID.txt file and save that to the sources folder on a Windows 10 installation USB:

pid.txt:

[PID]
    Value=VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

or if you end up with Windows 10 Home installed, all you have to do is change the product key (on the activation screen) to the Windows 10 Pro generic product key above.

NavyLCDR, May 17, 2016
  5. kunkun Win User
    So if I were to reformat a Windows 10 Pro, which I upgraded from Home version (manufacturer) previously, it will return back to Windows 10 Home, and I have to key in the product key for Pro again on the activation screen for it to return to Pro?

kunkun, May 17, 2016
  6. Rocky Win User
    No actually. I just did this myself a couple of days ago. This computer was Windows 10 home for over a year but just two weeks ago I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. Well on Monday of this week I decided to reformat the hard drive so I downloaded the latest ISO using Microsoft's Media Creation tool and I did a clean install and formatted the hard drive.

I now have a fully activated Windows 10 Pro on my computer. The information is stored in your BIOS so you are good to go.

Rocky, May 17, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Windows does not store anything in Bios. Only the computer manufacturer can store a product key in bios and Windows will not change what the manufacturer has stored there.

If you had to skip entering a product key and then pick if you wanted Home or Pro that is because Windows did not find any Product Key in bios.

NavyLCDR, May 17, 2016
  8. Reformatting upgraded Windows 10 Pro

*Ditto Windows does not modify the BIOS. "IF" there is an OEM embedded key, it will be used automatically. If there isn't an OEM embedded key, you will be asked to enter a key and chose what version to install. You can just do a skip when asked to enter a key. If you don't enter a key, once its installed it will check the activation server for a Digital Entitlement. If one exists for that PC it will activate with it. If not, you will have to enter a valid key to activate.

alphanumeric, May 17, 2016
  9. kunkun, go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation > It will tell you there, if it is using a Digital Entitlement or activated with a Product code.
    Showkey will tell you if the PC has an embedded key, and what version of Windows the key is for. https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reformatting upgraded Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Reformatting upgraded Pro

2. Reformatting a Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reformatting a Surface Pro 4: Taking a last ditch hope here, but can't find a solution after months of trying - so here is hoping. My surface pro 4 stopped reading keyboards and was generally acting poorly, so finally tried a full reset. Of course in doing so, the user profile service stopped allowing me...
  3. Reformatting a Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reformatting a Surface Pro 4: Taking a last ditch hope here, but can't find a solution after months of trying - so here is hoping. My surface pro 4 stopped reading keyboards and was generally acting poorly, so finally tried a full reset. Of course in doing so, the user profile service stopped allowing me...
  4. Reformatting a Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Reformat & reinstall of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Reformat & reinstall of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit: In order to get the MS Edge browser back with the top sites links will I have to do a total reformat & then install a new copy of Windows 10 Professional 64 bit? 134004
  6. Reformat & reinstall of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

in Windows 10 Support
    Reformat & reinstall of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit: In order to get the MS Edge browser back with the top sites links will I have to do a total reformat & then install a new copy of Windows 10 Professional 64 bit? 134004
  7. Reformatting xp and upgrade to windows 10

Reformatting xp and upgrade to windows 10: I want to reformat my laptop it is a Windows xp but upgraded free to windows 10 ..will I be able to use my xp key code then upgrade to windows 10 free again...
  8. Reformat upgraded win10 laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reformat upgraded win10 laptop: Good day! I have a laptop that started with Windows 8. Then I upgraded to 8.1 then to 10 after the update was offered. However, I hate the bloatware included with the laptop for it takes quite some time for the laptop to be fully functional (normal Asus bloatware + VPN +...
  9. Reformatting Windows 10

Reformatting Windows 10: Hey guys, i tried googling this but couldn't find any solid answers. I want to reformat my computer, usually i do the old school boot from windows 10 through cd or usb, format the hardrives and reinstall windows that way. I discovered however Windows 10 has a...
  10. Reformatting a PC that is running a free upgrade Windows 10 Pro

Reformatting a PC that is running a free upgrade Windows 10 Pro: I upgraded to Win 10 about a year ago on Microsoft's free upgrade program. I get the impression that my PC is now full of all sorts of unwanted crud - it has slowed to a crawl, and no amount of scans, cleaners, etc seem to help. I want to completely scrub the drives (I have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reformatting an upgraded windows 10 pro