Windows 10: Refresh rate defaults to 60hz when I change screen resolution

Discus and support Refresh rate defaults to 60hz when I change screen resolution in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello I want my refresh rate to stay at 144Hz. This wasnt much of an issue with windows 8.1, as navigating to the refresh rate was simple - right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MilkySteve, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Refresh rate defaults to 60hz when I change screen resolution

Hello

I want my refresh rate to stay at 144Hz.

This wasnt much of an issue with windows 8.1, as navigating to the refresh rate was simple - right click background, hit display, change resolution and the refresh rate was the next tab over.

Now if I change the resolution I have to change the refresh rate by navigating to the settings app / system / display / advanced display settings / display adapter properties - doing this muliple times a day is pretty tedious.

Can I create a shortcut to the monitor properties? Or change the default refresh rate to 144 instead of 60?

Thanks

Steve

:)

MilkySteve, Nov 11, 2020

2. How to set default refresh rate

I've no control in the resolutions dropdown, and of course I can select the exact mode I want from List all modes.

But what I'm trying to accomplish is for Windows to recognize 60hz as the default refresh rate when changing resolutions (when I'm not specifying the refresh rate).

That comes in handy when running applications (mostly games) which let you select resolutions but not refresh rates. And yes, those applications do support the resolution/60hz combination I want for them.

So that's why this thread is titled "How to set a default refresh rate". If it's no possible, then so be it. But I could swear that before the Windows Creator's update, changing resolutions didn't lower my refresh rate.

sauronnikko, Nov 11, 2020
  3. How to set default monitor refresh rate?

I got a 144hz monitor for christmas this year, which is a big upgrade from my old 60hz. I got it working to 144hz, but whenever I change my screen resolution, it defaults back to 60hz, I didn't notice this at first and just thought 144hz wasn't as noticeable
    as everyone made it out to be. My reasons for changing my screen resolution are hard to explain, CSGO players understand why though. The point is that I need to change my resolution for personal reasons in this game, yet whenever I do, windows changes the
    refresh rate to 60hz, and if I then make it 144hz and revert my resolution back to normal, the refresh rate is 60 again. Is there some setting where I can set the default refresh rate for this monitor or am I just going to have to deal with this forever? When
    restarting my computer the refresh rate stays the same, it only happens when I change my resolution.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings

Colofmeister, Nov 11, 2020
  4. Refresh rate defaults to 60hz when I change screen resolution

How to set default refresh rate

I switch between 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 and viceversa quite frequently. However, when I do this, Windows sets the refresh rate to 30hz, instead of 60. I need to manually set it to 60 each time I change resolution.

Is there a way to set a default refresh rate so that changing resolution won't result on a change of refresh rate?

P.S. My monitor does support 60hz on both 1920x1080, 3840x2160, so that isn't the issue

sauronnikko, Nov 11, 2020
Thema:

Refresh rate defaults to 60hz when I change screen resolution

1. Refresh rate defaults to 60hz when I change screen resolution - Similar Threads - Refresh rate defaults

2. Monitor Refresh Rate stuck at 60Hz

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor Refresh Rate stuck at 60Hz: Hello everyone, I have an Acer Nitro EI242QRP which is a 165hz monitor, I previously had Windows 11 before facing this issue, I just got back to Windows 10 and I see that my refresh rate is stuck at 65Hz, this never happened before. When I first bought the monitor I was stuck...
  3. Monitor Refresh Rate stuck at 60Hz

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor Refresh Rate stuck at 60Hz: Hello everyone, I have an Acer Nitro EI242QRP which is a 165hz monitor, I previously had Windows 11 before facing this issue, I just got back to Windows 10 and I see that my refresh rate is stuck at 65Hz, this never happened before. When I first bought the monitor I was stuck...
  4. Monitor Refresh Rate stuck at 60Hz

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Black screen when changing the refresh rate.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen when changing the refresh rate.: I have an Asus ROG Strix G laptop, whenever I change the refresh rate from 48hz to 120hz, the bottom half of the screen goes black, it is still responsive though, I can click on the taskbar and open the apps pinned there. I've been using this laptop since 2-3 years now and it...
  6. Screen refresh rate changing from 165hz to 60hz when charger is unplugged.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen refresh rate changing from 165hz to 60hz when charger is unplugged.: Hi wondering if there is anything i can do to prevent my screen refresh rate from changing everytime i unplug my charger from my MSI GP66 laptop. I've tried changing power settings but it still doesnt work. Im on windows 11 btw....
  7. Screen refresh rate changing from 165hz to 60hz when charger is unplugged.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen refresh rate changing from 165hz to 60hz when charger is unplugged.: Hi wondering if there is anything i can do to prevent my screen refresh rate from changing everytime i unplug my charger from my MSI GP66 laptop. I've tried changing power settings but it still doesnt work. Im on windows 11 btw....
  8. unable to change screen resolution or refresh rate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    unable to change screen resolution or refresh rate: I have a Lenovo laptop and I am trying to change my display resolutions in display settings> advanced display settings> display adapter properties> list all modes. it lets me select a different resolution, but it just waits 15 seconds and reverts when I apply it. The...
  9. Changing Refresh Rate Lowers Resolution

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Changing Refresh Rate Lowers Resolution: Whenever I try to switch the refresh rate in my display settings from 60hz to anything else, my monitor is 144hz and my graphics card is capable of running it the resolution is immediately lowered quite a lot for my entire pc. It isn't like the higher you make the refresh...
  10. Resolution & Refresh rate

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Resolution & Refresh rate: Some time ago I purchased a MINIX Z83-4 mini computer which comes with Win 10 64bit preloaded, The reason I got this was that when viewing films via Kodi on an Android box the quality of the picture was never that good. I'm not talking about the colour or clarity, I'm...