Windows 10: Refresh/reinstall Win 10 from USB and keep programs

Discus and support Refresh/reinstall Win 10 from USB and keep programs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Am interested in performing a reinstall, or "refresh" of Win10 Home x64 20H2 from a bootable USB while preserving my installed programs. As I drown... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DrCarl, Nov 17, 2020.

1. DrCarl Win User

Refresh/reinstall Win 10 from USB and keep programs

Am interested in performing a reinstall, or "refresh" of Win10 Home x64 20H2 from a bootable USB while preserving my installed programs.

As I drown in information, some conflicting, I'd love confirmation that if I make a bootable USB with an .ISO file via the Media Creation Tool, will I be presented with the 'save your personal files and applictions' option, or not?

I'll try to have a more complicated question next time.

TIA

:)

DrCarl, Nov 17, 2020

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Nov 17, 2020
  3. mlh457 Win User
    No List of Desktop Programs After Refresh/Reset

I just reset/refreshed windows 10 and chose the option to keep my files. The dialog said that all my desktop applicaitons would have to be reinstalled but that a list of them would be on my desktop when the refresh completed. Now the refresh has completed
    and the list of desktop programs is not on the desktop.

mlh457, Nov 17, 2020
  4. Kursah Win User

Most painless way to reinstall windows 10?

It depends on the junk accumulated honestly, but there are various methods. You can always remove programs, delete download folder, media locations, etc. As some have suggested, keeping some items on a separate internal storage drive is an option as well. Depends on what you have, what your budget is and how you want to handle your system and data.

The method @RejZoR suggests is sound and a method I've used dozens if not hundreds of time with great success in the field. In many cases though the goal is to keep user data intact, and to repair the OS. In place upgrade as it is called is also only doable in that method if you can boot to desktop, if you can't, it is time for some more advanced options or a format & reinstall.

With Windows 8 and 10 there are refresh and reset options that can be leveraged as well. Hold Shift and click Restart to reboot your system, this will get you into the advanced boot menu, which you'll need to choose advanced options (I forget ATM what it is called) and choose one of a couple items, refresh or reset.

Refresh is essentially In Place Upgrade but a little more aggressive as it wipes the Windows Apps and you may need to reinstall programs. Reset is like an OS reinstall, wipes user data, wipes profiles, registry, performs a install from the system image. Often times I'll do this and bypass using a USB key on a system. Though there are instances where these options will not work if a system has a level of corruption that has not been repaired/resolved. Check the OS Repair link in my sig for more info if ya need.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Refresh/reinstall Win 10 from USB and keep programs - Similar Threads - Refresh reinstall USB

2. how to reinstall win 10 from Win 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to reinstall win 10 from Win 11?: HII don't know why desktop has been updated or upgraded to Win 11?I hate this Win 11:-When I right click, it doesn't show " show deskstop" on the taskbar anymore.ThanksAlex...
  3. how to reinstall win 10 from Win 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to reinstall win 10 from Win 11?: HII don't know why desktop has been updated or upgraded to Win 11?I hate this Win 11:-When I right click, it doesn't show " show deskstop" on the taskbar anymore.ThanksAlex...
  4. Refresh/reinstall Win 10 from USB and keep programs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Refresh/reinstall Win 10 from USB and keep programs: Am interested in performing a reinstall, or "refresh" of Win10 Home x64 20H2 from a bootable USB while preserving my installed programs. As I drown in information, some conflicting, I'd love confirmation that if I make a bootable USB with an .ISO file via the Media Creation...
  5. MS store keeps refreshing in Win. 10 2004

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    MS store keeps refreshing in Win. 10 2004: hi there: There is an issue. MS store keeps refreshing in Windows 10 2004. I like to know, is it a bug in 2004, or is it my issue? Does the steps in the article work? https://www.techtantri.com/fix-microsoft-store-refresh-loop-windows-10-april-update/...
  6. Reinstalling Windows 10 from usb

Reinstalling Windows 10 from usb: Hi, i have had made progress in trying to get Windows 10 reinstalled on my acer Aspire One Cloudbook 14 i tried to reset it but then it got stuck on the acer logo page, and came across this article as it seem the best thing to do the original article came from Dave m i...
  7. Reinstalling Windows 10 from USB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstalling Windows 10 from USB: Hi to all, I’m desperately trying to reinstall Windows from USB on my Surface Laptop 3 but it appears all drivers are deactivated from the very beginning (language to install/time and currency/input screen) That would make sense but even the trackpad is not working. I...
  8. How to Reinstall Windows 10 from USB and Keep Files

How to Reinstall Windows 10 from USB and Keep Files: After failed latest update, can't get pass the black screen. Copied Windows 10 onto USB but during Windows setup 'no device drivers were found...' Where can the correct version of Windows be located. I see my computer in Microsoft (website) but unable to manage....
  9. Wins 10 reinstall from Wins 8.1

Wins 10 reinstall from Wins 8.1: I understand that I can re-install Wins 10 from free upgrade but if I bought a disc of Wins 8.1 how do I install Wins 10 or is it just from web-site and type in my product for Wins 8.1?...
  10. Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?: I have been under the impression that Win 10 may be like an upgrade so you don't have to re-install all your desktop programs. If it is a "refresh" what a pain *Sad If it is an upgrade will it kill Windows Media Center or might it actually survive to run in Win 10? 5917