Windows 10: Refresh Windows 10

Discus and support Refresh Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; I would think drivers and such would still be part of the OEM setup, but just the bloatware would hopefully finally be gone. *Ditto Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Vladimir, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Cliff S New Member

Refresh Windows 10

*Ditto

Cliff S, Jun 24, 2015
  2. yinqin Win User

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering, I want to refresh my laptop so that I can give my aunt a "new" laptop.
    The thing is, when I want to refresh my laptop, the will-be-deleted apps shown include even the drivers, both Intel and Dell.
    I'm afraid that I might not know how to reinstall some drivers and that might cause some problems for the laptop.
    So, my question is, if I refresh my laptop and remove these 3rd party apps, will Windows 10 automatically reinstall the drivers?

Please and thanks!

yinqin, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Yinqin, and welcome to Ten Forums.

Drivers will not be affected by a refresh. If you did a reset, then they would be wiped. *Smile

Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  4. Refresh Windows 10

It's not at all clear to me what the difference is between refresh, reset and recover. I have users who have used one or other of the options available and lost all their Windows Live Mail data, despite having been told that your files will be preserved. You say that third-party desktop apps will be removed, but Windows Live Mail is a Microsoft (not third-party) program. You say that Your files ... won't change, but experience says that Windows Live Mail files are not just changed, they're deleted! How the heck am I to advise users who end up in this situation?

Noel Burgess, Aug 4, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Noel, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

"Your files" = The "C:\Users\(user-name)" folders.

3rd party apps = Basically any desktop program installed. This doesn't include Store apps.

I would tell them to backup and create images to be able to restore as needed.

Brink, Aug 4, 2015
  6. Thanks!

Is there an MS web page giving details of this? I find it very unlikely that, say, Office would be removed but some tatty little game from the store would be retained ...

It's usually too late for that.

Noel Burgess, Aug 5, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The link below, and the screenshots in the tutorial can show this. Not to mention the number of times I have done it to confirm.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

Brink, Aug 5, 2015
  8. Refresh Windows 10

Thanks again. The MSDN page gives a pretty clear description of the difference:

Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling the OS while preserving the user data, user accounts, and important settings. All other preinstalled customizations are restored to their factory state. In Windows 10, this feature no longer preserves user-acquired Windows apps.
    Reset your PC Prepares the PC for recycling or for transfer of ownership by reinstalling the OS, removing all user accounts and contents (e.g. data, Classic Windows applications, and Universal Windows apps), and restoring preinstalled customizations to their factory state.
    Bare metal recovery Restores the default or preconfigured partition layout on the system disk, and reinstalls the OS and preinstalled customizations from external media.

Noel Burgess, Aug 10, 2015
  9. ron007 Win User
    Good article. One thing you don't mention is the Win 8 tool RecImg.exe . It is (was) used to generate new image files used by Refresh. I was just reading a review of the July RTM said that the tool was not included. Has it been added in a subsequent "update" of Win 10? Can the Win 8 version be copied over to Win 10 and used?

ron007, Sep 21, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Ron, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Unfortunately, the recimg.exe command has been deprecated in Windows 10.

Brink, Sep 21, 2015
  11. chun96 Win User
    Are apps from the Windows Store still preserved by refreshing Windows 10?

chun96, Oct 3, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Tan, *Smile

A reset will remove all apps and programs that didn't come preinstalled with the PC.

However, reinstalling apps from your library in the Store afterwards is made pretty easy for the ones that don't get synced back if using a Microsoft account.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Oct 3, 2015
  13. chun96 Win User

Refresh Windows 10

Means that if I use an original Windows 10 installation media to reset (keep files), I will be left only with my files, accounts and settings it it?

chun96, Oct 3, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Correct, but if you're using a Microsoft account, your apps should sync back. If not, then you can easily reinstall them using the method above.

A reset is basically like doing a clean install.

Brink, Oct 3, 2015
  15. tezad Win User
    Hi!
    If I choose the first option, which says reinstalling Windows 10 but keeps my personal files, does this really keep my personal and installed programs? Currently, I'm in overseas and I will be staying here for 3 months and I didn't bring any program installers but I want to refresh windows because I constantly get a .dll error and it's a bit slow. So I want to refresh the system while keeping my programs and files. I just want to confirm this before doing anything.

Thank you!

tezad, Oct 20, 2015
Thema:

Refresh Windows 10

1. Refresh Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Refresh

2. Mouse cursor keeps refreshing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse cursor keeps refreshing: I don't know why this is suddenly happening. My mouse won't stop refreshing with the blue circle next to it, and I can't right click on things properly. But another issue is that I can't really do anything to fix this because for some reason I cannot login to my administrator...
  3. Mouse cursor keeps refreshing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse cursor keeps refreshing: I don't know why this is suddenly happening. My mouse won't stop refreshing with the blue circle next to it, and I can't right click on things properly. But another issue is that I can't really do anything to fix this because for some reason I cannot login to my administrator...
  4. Mouse cursor keeps refreshing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Why is my monitor's refresh rate only 64 at max?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my monitor's refresh rate only 64 at max?: I was lagging a lot when playing games so I checked my refresh rate but it only had a max of 64 even though my monitor can handle a 144 hertz refresh rate. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it....
  6. Why is my monitor's refresh rate only 64 at max?

Why is my monitor's refresh rate only 64 at max?: I was lagging a lot when playing games so I checked my refresh rate but it only had a max of 64 even though my monitor can handle a 144 hertz refresh rate. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it....
  7. After pasting files, some don't show up unless I refresh.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After pasting files, some don't show up unless I refresh.: Hello,I just started to use Windows 11 after getting a new PC, now I'm having an issue I never had before, while working I was copying 6 files from a folder to another.Right after the copy/paste, only 4 out of 6 files appeared on the folder.So I went back to the 1st folder,...
  8. After pasting files, some don't show up unless I refresh.

After pasting files, some don't show up unless I refresh.: Hello,I just started to use Windows 11 after getting a new PC, now I'm having an issue I never had before, while working I was copying 6 files from a folder to another.Right after the copy/paste, only 4 out of 6 files appeared on the folder.So I went back to the 1st folder,...
  9. Just got a new monitor and the refresh rate is stuck at 60Hz

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Just got a new monitor and the refresh rate is stuck at 60Hz: I just bought a brand new LG Ultrawide 1440p monitor capable of up to 160Hz, and no matter how hard I try I cannot get a higher option than 60Hz. I've updated my Iris Xe and the LG drivers with no luck. I have a Surface Laptop 4 connected to a Thinkpad USB-C Gen 1 docking...
  10. Just got a new monitor and the refresh rate is stuck at 60Hz

Just got a new monitor and the refresh rate is stuck at 60Hz: I just bought a brand new LG Ultrawide 1440p monitor capable of up to 160Hz, and no matter how hard I try I cannot get a higher option than 60Hz. I've updated my Iris Xe and the LG drivers with no luck. I have a Surface Laptop 4 connected to a Thinkpad USB-C Gen 1 docking...